So what do YOU want from the MMOC website?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
samuria
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: So what do YOU want from the MMOC website?

Post by samuria »

les wrote:Birthday greeting? You'll be wanting the mods to tuck you up in bed next! :D

never did like mods.... on there hair driers .... :lol:
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Cheeky Les :lol: better than the Grebo smellys and there petulia oil
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

irmscher wrote:Cheeky Les :lol: better than the Grebo smellys and there petulia oil
lee its a biker thing for me....
always liked the sound and look of a proper bike...

never could understand the scooter scene :lol:
but each to there own :wink:
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

samuria wrote:
irmscher wrote:Cheeky Les :lol: better than the Grebo smellys and there petulia oil
lee its a biker thing for me....
always liked the sound and look of a proper bike...

never could understand the scooter scene :lol:
but each to there own :wink:
I think, in the days before everyone had cars, & particularly in cities, the scooter was a means of getting say to the local dance while still being dressed up and not getting covered in oil. Nowadays motorbikes are clean and reliable but the scene stuck anyway.

But what sound is a proper bike? Harley, RD350LC, R1..? :D
qwerty165
Minor Addict

Post by qwerty165 »

Ability to attach pictures to PM's.

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

What has happened about the website you asked Mike but what did we get any changes ??
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

can.t beat a good twin..
i have a harley and a 750 bobber..
:wink:
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

irmscher wrote:What has happened about the website you asked Mike but what did we get any changes ??
theminorsite wrote:Don't go holding any breath, because you won't see any changes for quite a while yet
moggyman64 wrote:Oh and one other thing please stop using the phrase" we could be sued by traders" do the powers to be realise how ridiculous that sounds, maybe they could reinforce their case of why the state this by listing all the court cases that have been brought against the club. The back of a postage stamp should suffice for the list.
There have been several threats of legal action from traders in the past, albeit AFAIK (and I'm not on the MMOC comittee etc) there have been no threats of action in the last 2/3 years. Its much easier for a company to target a club than an individual who runs/owns a forum! And... despite what a lot of you seem to think mods don't know any more about whats happening at higher levels in the club than anyone else. We are just normal members who have an additional role! I have no more idea about whats happening in Derby than any other member.
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

moggyman64 wrote:
Oh and one other thing please stop using the phrase" we could be sued by traders" do the powers to be realise how ridiculous that sounds, maybe they could reinforce their case of why the state this by listing all the court cases that have been brought against the club. The back of a postage stamp should suffice for the list.
There have been several threats of legal action from traders in the past, albeit AFAIK (and I'm not on the MMOC comittee etc) there have been no threats of action in the last 2/3 years. Its much easier for a company to target a club than an individual who runs/owns a forum! And... despite what a lot of you seem to think mods don't know any more about whats happening at higher levels in the club than anyone else. We are just normal members who have an additional role! I have no more idea about whats happening in Derby than any other member.
I will take a guess here and surmise that traders see the club as a viable target on the grounds that the club can be prosecuted for publishing negative comments (slurs) against a company / trader (however well founded they are sometimes), whereas an individual can (quite rightly) claim to be expressing an opinion and there's not a lot they can do about it, especially if it hasn't been set down in print.
Plus an individual is more lightly to stick two fingers up at them and tell them to get stuffed, especially if they feel aggrieved in the first place.
The risk of negative publicity that might be generated from pursuing someone, who may turn out to have genuine claim, would probably make it not worth their while / expense to do so.
Bad pubicity could cost them allot more business after all.
I think we are going to have settle for good old 'word of mouth' to inform fellow club members (and others) of the bad eggs that are trading out there.......
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

There is a kind chap here with 1 post under his belt. He has just offered a couple of books to us and has also had an enquiry. This should be noted if any suggestion of restricting people with low post numbers is being considered. :D

TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

les wrote:There is a kind chap here with 1 post under his belt. He has just offered a couple of books to us and has also had an enquiry. This should be noted if any suggestion of restricting people with low post numbers is being considered. :D
Absolutely agree!
Minor Fan

Post by 1098 »

National Rally page to be updated. Still on 2013 event,which was great ! :wink:
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

maybe they could reinforce their case of why the state this by listing all the court cases that have been brought against the club.
simple research is all that you need -I found this explanation via google on 1st attempt:
http://www.yourforumblog.com/message-fo ... -policies/

As for cast iron examples, there have been instances where forum rules were not fully enforced and I know for a fact of threatened legal action over forum comments. It is and always has been a genuine issue.
I'm no more or less 'ordinary' than any other member but had the fortune/misfortune to be a moderator when this was happening, and heard directly from club director regarding this as I'd made the effort to attend some committee meetings at that time.

Whether any forum comments are based in fact or fiction or a combination of both does not stop a club from needing to spend tens of thousands on lawyers if a case gets as far as court. From a sad but true "lawyers viewpoint", if an organisation has some it's worth to sue them.
The rules are needed to protect the club as ending up in court would hurt ALL club members by wasting club money (essentially this is wasting our membership fees) and not to mention a lot of time too.

Generalising, even if fees are awarded back to a club/organisation if a case goes in their favour, they have lost out during the interim period by being broke, which can have many years of secondary effects (credit ratings, ability to renew office leases etc..). Losing a case in court could finish a club/organisation altogether.

For those who find all this sue-sue-sue business intriguing...
http://nypost.com/2013/11/16/chess-coac ... a-cheater/
An internet service user (online chess) sued the organisation for allowing access to information about him being banned from a site.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
theminorsite
Minor Fan

Post by theminorsite »

Superb and comprehensive reply Ray, thank you for that.
For the avoidance of doubt, the work that will be being performed for the site is, as far as I understand it, confined to the 'mechanics' and layout of the site, rather than its policies and procedures. I am not minded to believe it to be a 'root and branch' reassessment of how the club operates online. That being said, the work is at this moment not yet underway, which I hope addresses Irmschers question too.
Mike
http://www.TheMinorSite.co.uk
Modified Best Engine Bay - Kelmarsh National Rally 2012
1st Place Modified - Kelmarsh National Rally 2012 woohoo!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I can see the point in not slagging off traders, as one man's disappointment could be down to any number of things, and the next person may not agree but I can't get my head around this banning of workshop manual downloading. Other sites seem completely oblivious to the problems this site refers to, and correct me if I'm wrong but any problems arising would surely entail the content being removed; the downloads are still there for the use of people. It's academic anyway, as we just use these other sites. Although this forum will even police folk giving this info via link. I think we could be a little more tolerant.

Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

No problems giving links to other sites Les... and I don't think there has been any policing of it whilst i've been a mod?

http://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk/ Front page ;)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well if I'm mistaken I'll withdraw my comment, although I feel pretty sure links to the manuals have been removed in the past. However thanks for your test link!! :D

Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

I think direct links to copyrighted material have (rightly) been removed. e.g. www.dodgywebsite.com/minorworkshopmanual.pdf. I have provided a link to the home page of a website where the material may be obtained (just like if I put a link to ebay - I'm sure you can still get dodgy copies of items there!)

I hope that helps?
The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan

Post by The Issigonis Kid »

How about a LIKE button on the forum and adverts sections.
Then if you agree with something or like a comment or picture you can add support without having to actually post something.

And,

When someone has found something or sold something, why not move the item into a sold archieve or a wanted archieve.

And,

If placinging an advert, why not make the location an option you must enter so the post can be submitted.
This way we would not have to look at people's wheelie bins and recycling boxes to get a clue as to where the items are !

Thanks
The Issigonis Kid,
Still looking for a black Traveller or Tourer for £2800 ish

The Issigonis Kid - Richard Troup - Sheffield - 1961 Morris Minor Traveller ...... at last
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

A security section is needed.
To provide preventative measures to back up the stolen section.
A very specific area for members only to log in and view types of security available.
Secret switches,
Fuel cut off switches,
Steering locks,
Window etching,
Component stamping,
Rotor arm removal,
etc:
Advice on reporting how said fitments can reduce insurance premiums.
Where angels fear to tread