What did YOU discover in your garage today!?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Coalmossian
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

What did YOU discover in your garage today!?

Post by Coalmossian »

Quite a long time since I posted anything on here, but Coalmossian's 1960 Traveller restoration hasn't progressed any further over the spring/summer. The weather's been too good and I've been working outside doing a heap of jobs, some of which have been on "the list" for over three decades!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anyway, living on an old farm, I'm not too short of space, although I usually manage to fill what I have!
I've been sorting recently, and have, in doing so, encountered a couple of wee excavations at a couple of doors into the outbuildings, one or two wee presents ( actually.......quite large ones!) and a bit of an aroma in the air!! :cry:
Below is a view just in the barn/garage/workshop door, and my Traveller can be seen under the various sheets etc.[frame]Image[/frame]
Notice the old radiator and blanket towards the bottom right hand corner of the photo. It's along here that I keep my engines under the shelf/bench.[frame]Image[/frame]
If you look behind the engines and just to the right of that gold-painted rocker cover, you may just make out a bit of a "mound" up against the stone barn wall?
This is it taken a bit more closely![frame]Image[/frame]
While you can't make out the real distinguishing features ( head, tail etc) it would appear that the hairy poo-leaving, earth-digging perfumed (????) friend that shares my barn with my Traveller and I is a badger.........fast asleep and seemingly relatively oblivious to the fact that I am in there "doing stuff" while he/she sleeps!!
Well, had to stop work, didn't I!? 'Twould be rude to waken it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Does anyone else out there share their garage with anything wild?
tysonn
Minor Legend

Re: What did YOU discover in your garage today!?

Post by tysonn »

Good job you didnt put your address on here.You'd have got some moronic parasite wanting to set a dog on it!
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Fantastic - so much better than what I found in my garage last summer - a huge and very active wasps nest :-?
]
Coalmossian
Minor Fan

Post by Coalmossian »

tysonn wrote:Good job you didnt put your address on here.You'd have got some moronic parasite wanting to set a dog on it!
There are those I know who would want to "eliminate" it by some means or another, but thankfully most people around here do at least tolerate them. The farmer upon whose land there is a large sett near here takes the somewhat philosophical view. He says his cattle don't have TB, so therefore presumably the badgers here don't carry it. If he were to kill them, then new ones would simplyt move in and they might carry it, so he leaves well alone!
Not all of them are like that though! One guy wanted to erect 4 huge wind turbines on a hill near here. There were quite a number of setts on his land, and he was afraid that he wouldn't get planning permission, so he paid some lowlife to come in and exterminate them all!
He got his planning permission! Hopefully sometime he'll get his comeuppence as well! ( or is that "cummuppance?")
Why can't people let be!!
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

It must be fairly comfortable there. :)

I only have the spiders for company.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Trouble is - where there is one - there will be many others......... V unusual for them to be inside a building - surely?
ImageImage
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Coalmossian wrote:
tysonn wrote:Good job you didnt put your address on here.You'd have got some moronic parasite wanting to set a dog on it!
There are those I know who would want to "eliminate" it by some means or another, but thankfully most people around here do at least tolerate them. The farmer upon whose land there is a large sett near here takes the somewhat philosophical view. He says his cattle don't have TB, so therefore presumably the badgers here don't carry it. If he were to kill them, then new ones would simplyt move in and they might carry it, so he leaves well alone!
Not all of them are like that though! One guy wanted to erect 4 huge wind turbines on a hill near here. There were quite a number of setts on his land, and he was afraid that he wouldn't get planning permission, so he paid some lowlife to come in and exterminate them all!
He got his planning permission! Hopefully sometime he'll get his comeuppence as well! ( or is that "cummuppance?")
Why can't people let be!!
One of the Badger Killers around these parts is nicknamed "Tiny Tim"!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Coalmossian
Minor Fan

Post by Coalmossian »

One of the Badger Killers around these parts is nicknamed "Tiny Tim"![/quote]
Does he "Tiptoe through the Tulips"?
One would have to be "of an age" to understand that, methinks!!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

We are plagued with badgers in some of our railway cuttings - collapsing the banks. All we do is to try to 'encourage' them to move elsewhere...not very successfully I'm afraid.
ImageImage
ajay
Minor Friendly

Post by ajay »

Aren't badgers a bit grumpy when in an enclosed and limited space? Maybe this one may just wake up and sidle over and ask what all the noise is about and that he is trying to sleep so keep it down PLEASE.
ajay
Minor Friendly

Post by ajay »

When my daughter was in the second week of her OE she saw one crossing the road. Says it looks like a large carpet on the move.
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

I have enough badgering off the mrs :(
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Leave the door open a bit for an hour or so at night and maybe some food dog meat outside the door .This year I found a polecat a nasty one when I disturbed it but managed to get it into a humane cage trap and set it free :o
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Lee asked me to upload a pic of the polecat.Fearsome looking beast!!!!!!!!![frame]Image[/frame]
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Thanks Mick it was fearsome it attacked me when setting it free :( what has happened to the badger ????
Coalmossian
Minor Fan

Post by Coalmossian »

irmscher wrote:Thanks Mick it was fearsome it attacked me when setting it free :( what has happened to the badger ????
I went ouside earlier this morning and it was fast asleep again behind the engines, presumably resting after a hard nights foraging and worm-munching.
The trouble is that, apart from the fact that I have fed the local badgers every night for th last 4 or 5 years, so they're round here at the back door every night, the big sliding door into the barn is broken. The door itself has seen better days, but it's one of those sliding wooden doors with a wee hinged door in it, and the bit beneath that wee door is broken off, so Brock has unrestricted access. And I don't really have the heart to wait 'til he goes out at night and suddenly block off his/her entrance. Bit of a softie really when it comes to wildlife! I feel that really they have more right to be here than we do, and they're always being persecuted.
Guess I'll just put up with the pong for now and consider it a privilege to have him/her here.
Maybe I'll just have to start working nights to get on with the Traveller!!!
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

If you have any spare wood build a dog kennel next to your outbuilding, Make is cosy inside - sprinkle a few dog treats inside. Block up your garage/barn door. Brock will move in there.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Good on you mate!My feelings exactly on the wildlife.They were here before us pathetic lot and deserve respect.The idiots that persecute and mistreat them dont deserve to be here.
Blades
Minor Fan

Post by Blades »

Great story Coalmossian

Back in the 1970's Sheffield United had a player called Len Badger, perhaps you could call your traveller Len when it's finished! :D

Nick
[sig]9332[/sig]
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Nice to know there are people who can live and let live. :D