Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Redmoggy
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Redmoggy, back in a Moggy

Post by Redmoggy »

Well sort of.

I've been away for some time, since i sold my red Moggy, 195 EWL. I had no real inclination to get another, seemed like i would be cheating on the old girl. However, as sometimes happens something came up. I seem to have aquired a 49 Series MM. She is not tidy but a decent candidate to be revived having been of the road since 68.

So quick question. Being a fairly early car, chassis 8thousand and something. Would it be sacrilidge to play with it a little or should i restore, if i did how useable is the sidevalve motor?

Cheers
Rod
Matt
Minor Legend

Re: Redmoggy, back in a Moggy

Post by Matt »

Hi Rod

Good to see you - i've got a proper job not at SES anymore :lol:

My opinion is that the pre 1950s are really rather rare and any modifications made should be easily reversable - but other than that go play!
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
PaulTubby
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by PaulTubby »

I think if it left original specification it would be worth more money, but yes a few mods can make them more user friendly, as said above keep the mods to simple ones that can be easily changed back.. Paul
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I agree with the above and don't forget to keep any bits you take off - might be stating the obvious I know :D............

As to MODs, it's your car so enjoy her.............
The only thing I would add is that it seems a shame that the parts to do a proper period modification - ALTA head etc are not (commonly) available any more, unless you have the patience to search / put the cash aside..................
Every 'Modder' seems to want to fit a V8 / modern engine and change the wheels / bodywork these days, so (IMO) you'll struggle to do something unusual / individual following that route.......

That should set the cat amongst the pigeons! :lol:

Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
alexandermclaren
Minor Addict

Post by alexandermclaren »

jagnut66 wrote:Hi,
I agree with the above and don't forget to keep any bits you take off - might be stating the obvious I know :D............

As to MODs, it's your car so enjoy her.............
The only thing I would add is that it seems a shame that the parts to do a proper period modification - ALTA head etc are not (commonly) available any more, unless you have the patience to search / put the cash aside..................
Every 'Modder' seems to want to fit a V8 / modern engine and change the wheels / bodywork these days, so (IMO) you'll struggle to do something unusual / individual following that route.......

That should set the cat amongst the pigeons! :lol:

Best wishes,
Mike.
like it get them started cuz it was getting boring :D

Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

Hello Matt. Wandered if i would run into anyone i knew. Good to hear you moved on, not really a job for life!

Period mods would be kinda cool. I looked into engine mods for a 100e i used to have. The money involed to make a little sidevalve pull the skin of a rice pudding is off putting. Specially as i am not sure it would then be capable of towing that skin after all the effort!

So with that said, i devised a sort of plan. If i can get it to fire up and run, then i recon on a freshen up and a resto to bone stock. If she is Kapput, 1098 0r 1275 running gear. That should keep in the spirit of things.

If all that goes wrong, I'm affraid it will be a modern 4 pot and mild Barris style Kustom.

Regards
Rod
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Nice one Rod

Now got a degree and in Nuclear Decommissioning as a project engineer :)

Sound like its working out down under? :)
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
ajay
Minor Friendly

Post by ajay »

In NZ they are not quite as rare proportionately as in UK. The old sidevalve is as you say not the most powerful horse in the stable but Rolleston is quite flat (i think) I am a Hastings resident so I have no idea what is below the broken ferry.

I have completely bastardised a 1950 model by cutting 100mm out through the middle and 300mm from the cab. (I got so many negatives from the naysayers that I have stopped that project for a while and am now creating a rather different ute)

My suggestion are that you should do what you feel would make you happy to start it up and take it for a drive.

Body mods highlight guards give 4 lights and give a nice look and nothing needs to be cut
Paint maybe a bit of metallic
Seats if it has the originals they are worth keeping as they are arguably the only comfy morris seats
Drivetrain they go well with a 1275 and 4.2 diff

Whatever you do have fun

Allan
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

Good on ya, Matt. All going well down here, loving every minute.

So given my little plan, i spent a couple hours on the old girl. Fitted a battery, gave the points a tickle, replaced the ignition warning lamp buld, filled the float bowl and gave it a crank (thats the quick version anyhow!). After kicking back the starter a few times she fired up and ticked over. Seems the carb piston is seized as she will not rev and the float bowl leaks terrible. So it looks like it will be a resto job. Kinda looking forward to it.

Ajay, I would quite like to mod another car. Had a lot of fun in my 1275 morrie. The thing that puts me off with this one is that it is still pretty complete and original.

I'll get xmass out the way and look at stripping it readt for blasting.

Rod