Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chipper
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: put 1pound 50 worth of dieseil in my car

Post by Chipper »

I recently spoke to a mechanic at an 'old-school' type garage who runs a Minor saloon, and he said he ran his on a petrol:diesel mix, roughly 5 litres of petrol to 1 litre of diesel.

He claimed it ran better, albeit slightly smoky.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

I struggle to see how any liquid added to the petrol would decoke the car (which is very much a physical process involving scrapers and wire-brushes) whilst driving. If anything, it would make the need for a decoke more frequent, due to the excess soot produced by combustion. Whilst a small quantity would not do any harm, and indeed could act as a welcome upper cylinder lubricant as mentioned by MarkyB, anything like the quantity of diesel added to the fuel tank by our 'old school mechanic' whom Chipper speaks of would cause an appreciable drop in performance and in all probability would severely curtail the engine's life.

As with most things, 'everything in moderation' is my view. We have the problem today of ultra-dry modern petrol, and any oil-based petrol additive which is beneficial to the fuel tank, line and carburettor, if not the engine valves, is surely a good thing.

I myself add 2-stroke oil to the fuel at a ratio of about 1:100, and a glug for luck, and will report back with my findings after a few years.

Essentially what I am saying is that, by all means use Redex, diesel or 2-stroke oil, but only in a quantity that is bound to be useful without making a nuisance.
lowride stepside
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by lowride stepside »

Silkolene Mmmm I'd never overtake you ,
It smells like teen spirit
Fully synthetic
speed not tweed