Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Coalmossian
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Should I; shouldn't I; Well I have!

Post by Coalmossian »

After all the indecision, thanks to help from quite a number of you, and after discussion with my good lady, I went and bought MGS 350G; an Old English White, 1968 2 door saloon. It had been listed on eBay on the 22nd of November and finished on the 29th November, just reaching its reserve of £1500.00p. I didn't actually bid on it as I thought, after all her previous long-suffering in the cause of Morris Minors, my good lady would really not be overly impressed.
The thing that really caught my eye was not the wording in the item listing which was minimal (morris minor unfinished project 95% finished starts and drives perfect ,needs cosmetic work to finish) but the photos which showed a remarkably clean engine bay and a very sound and clean white underside.
I did send the guy a message during the time that the item was listed, and he sent me a very short reply saying that it had 10 months tax and MOT!!!! I'd have thought he'd have put THAT in the description as it's a rather good selling point!!
Anyway, come the10th December or so, the vendor sent me a message saying that the car was still "here" ( his garage business about 15 miles away) if I wanted to have a look. I didn't need asking twice!! I'd been kicking myself for not bidding for nigh on 12 days!
When I got there he immediately offered to put it up on the ramp so I could see the underside properly ( sketchy characters don't do THAT!) and he told me that even a reasonably cursory glance would show me that a great deal ot time, money or both had been spent on this wee car. Looking underneath it was clear that a little welding had been done but to a very high standard, and that someone had spent a either a lot of time cleaning and repainting axles, hubs, suspension components etc, or they had fitted new ones. There were new pipes, cables, nuts and bolts everywhere although, due to an indeterminate time left sitting in a barn somewhere, there were signs of surface rust on edges, corners and bolt heads etc. I got the feeling that the rust was there because insufficent paint had been applied.
The vendor then told me that the vehicle also had a fully reconditioned 1098cc engine and new clutch, and that the gearbox could also be reconditioned though we don't really know. Certainly very clean!! I haven't been able to find out if it has an unleaded head. Does anyone know if there's a way to tell without simply driving it on unleaded to " see what happens!!"?
Bodywise she has four new wings and all has been re-sprayed ( not to a particularly high level, it has to be admitted!
Sadly, having gone to all the bother with the engine bay, they (whoever restored the vehicle) failed to covere the bay's contents sufficiently and most of the contents have a mist of OEW on them. The same applies to the boot.
There are bits of surface rust here and there, but nothing that a bit of elbow grease and a rattle can or ten won't put right.
Inside it's missing its gloveboxes and lids, the parcel shelf the interior light ( got one) and the sunvisors and rear view mirror. Could do with some carpet underlay and maybe sometime a better carpet set, but the seats are ok though the front two could use re-stuffing.
It also comes with 4 new Nanking tyres and a brand new battery.
Another funny thing is that the rear wing beading has been left in position but the bead has been cut off!!! Weird!!!
She runs a little lumpy, sounding as if she's running too rich.
The guy even delivered it to my door ( not part of the deal) and gave me £40.00p back!!
One member questioned in my last thread why it had gone so cheaply! Well, unless he sees anything to explain it in the following photos, I can only think that the vendor grossly undersold it initially in his eBay ad, and possibly the time of year and the car being in the coastal wilds of Haggisland may all have contributed.
I don't think I've done too badly for once in my car-buying life!!! :wink: :D :D :wink: :D
And now for the pictures. Let me know what you think![frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Can anyone tell me what is that silver disc-like body sitting atop the inlet manifold with a rubber pipe running to that green tube-like body at the front nearside corner of the block, please?[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
LouiseM

Re: Should I; shouldn't I; Well I have!

Post by LouiseM »

Looks very nice. Seems like you got a good buy :D

Eric - 1971 Traveller
lowride stepside
Minor Fan

Post by lowride stepside »

Bargain .
speed not tweed
busguy
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by busguy »

You definitely did the right thing in buying it. Well done!
graham1957
Minor Fan

Post by graham1957 »

looks like minors still do turn up at bargain prices,looks a solid car ,ive seen total rot boxes for that sort of money, will we see it at the next national?enjoy it , graham
[sig]8872[/sig]
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

:D ian... well you have a bargain there :wink:
you could make a quick profit on that very easy....
but thats not what its about :wink:
enjoy your new toy
it will look even better with a small amount of tlc
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Looks great - and v well worth the money. Just how did it get an MOT without a rear view mirror - i wonder...... Don't worry about 'unleaded head' - just run it - but do set 15 thou exhaust gaps. And check/reset every 3000 miles. The 'disc' is the valve to regulate the crankcase ventilation - it's a good thing! The wings look to be sparsely protected underneath - so paint and/or waxoyl is going to be a priority there before the salt gets at them!
ImageImage
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Ian that is a lovely car and a bargain well done :D
ajay
Minor Friendly

Post by ajay »

What a lovely car. Maybe the lack of a Lfront hubcap was the cause of the low? price.

If you have trouble with oil consumption clean that can that the hose comes out of. It has a filter inside it (or should have) which restricts the crankcase pressure movement if it is full of gunk.
In fact if you have a spare afternoon to play morries and cannot find anything to do take the whole lot off and give the lot a good cleanout. I have read of a few chaps who maybe could have had just this problem but for various reasons (usually way out of date) have not commented.

Enjoy your new Old English White friend.

Allan
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

it looks a lovley car you did very well
[sig]5641[/sig]
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
It looks a nice usable car, a little TLC here and there and she'll come up a treat!
As others have said though, lots of waxoil first!
Best wishes and happy motoring!
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
PaulTubby
Minor Fan

Post by PaulTubby »

I missed this on ebay! well done! :D