Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
laneychief
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

The return of my Morris!! Hopefully?!

Post by laneychief »

I've been a little quiet on here for the last year, as I was forced to sell my Morris to a friend as it needed a lot of welding and a garage, both of which I didn't have (money for welding).

He's now rang me asking if I'd like to buy it back, oh my word I'd love to, I feel like I'm missing a limb!

Here's my problem, I'm pretty sure I've got a garage now and I am also planning on attending a welding course, which is great!

What is the best way to get to the underside of the car to strip off all old waxoyl, have a poke around and properly fix the bottom of the car once and for all?

I've been looking up rollover jigs but I can't seem to find any to hire and I can't afford to buy one for sure! I am aware this is more of a long distance project but I like to get things straight in my head before undertaking a project, I never want to have to sell my Morris again!!

I'm looking to all of you minor lovers out there to help a lad get his one true love back! Please help!!!

Many thanks, nearly a Morris owner again.
Edd.
'If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same'

Edd, 26, Devon.
qwerty165
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: The return of my Morris!! Hopefully?!

Post by qwerty165 »

laneychief wrote:I've been looking up rollover jigs but I can't seem to find any to hire and I can't afford to buy one for sure!
You could fabricate your own roll over jig. As has been done here:
Picture8.jpg
Picture8.jpg (133.53 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
Picture9.jpg
Picture9.jpg (80.41 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
Picture10.jpg
Picture10.jpg (104.92 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
Last edited by qwerty165 on Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laneychief
Minor Fan

Post by laneychief »

Now that's impressive....

I haven't actually learned, or even tried to weld yet so I'm feeling that's a little beyond my ability to do a safe job.... I like the idea though, are there plans for things like that anywhere or is it a off the top of your head job?

Edd, 26, Devon.
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Hope it all works out for you - sounds like you have a great friend and/or a great piece of luck (or both) - I sure wish I could find my old Traveller :-)

Depending on the size of the garage you have, and the extent of welding that needs doing, you may be able to simply tip the car on its side and allow it to rest on old tyres, sofa cushions or old interior seat squabs (or anything with a reasonable amount of padding). You simply jack the car up on one side and then get two or three friends to help you lift it to vertical. It's a very good idea to ensure that, once in this position, the car is SECURELY chocked or secured to a wall fitting so it can't roll back on you when you are working.

Alternatively, ask around your local area to see if there is a farmer or local garage owner who would be prepared to let you have a bit of space in their barn or workshop so you can work on the car. Also, ask around amongst those doing your welding course. Often they too are doing the course for a reason and may know where more space is available.

Finally, if you are not already a member of your local branch, try going along to their meetings. Chances are the branch or one of the members may have a roll over jig they can let you use. Keep us all posted on progress and don't forget to post up some pics every now and again so we can see how things are going :-)

Good Luck!

laneychief
Minor Fan

Post by laneychief »

Thank you very much. So many things to think about really!

It's starting to feel unlikely that I can afford it but I'm trying to ignore the voice in the back of my head and I'm just wanting to go for it!

Edd, 26, Devon.
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Best not to think too big at this stage.

First step is to get the car back if you can. Once that's done, you can tackle the jobs that need to be done in order of importance (for safety) and the availability of cash.

Even if money is tight (which it always is with me) see if you can do a deal with your friend - agree to buy the car by paying in stages over an agreed period of time. That way he hopefully won't sell it while you are saving up the money AND you can have some wise heads in your area have a closer look at the car and advise you on what really needs to be done and in what order.

Even if your re-purchase does not come off, there are plenty of alternative cars around if you are happy to look. Some of these may require a little less work but not cost that much more to buy. Anyway, advice and opinions (not always the ones you want to hear :lol:) are FREE on here so you can always rely on someone to weigh in with their views :-)

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The roll jig above assumes there is plenty of strength in the bumper irons.......and engine/box removed to reduce weight. Some folks just carefully roll the car onto old tyres/mattress that sort of thing - again - probably best if the weight is reduced as much as possible. Good luck with it! Is your mate not maybe willing to do a 50/50 partnership on the car with you?
ImageImage
PaulTubby
Minor Fan

Post by PaulTubby »

bmcecosse wrote:The roll jig above assumes there is plenty of strength in the bumper irons.......and engine/box removed to reduce weight. Some folks just carefully roll the car onto old tyres/mattress that sort of thing - again - probably best if the weight is reduced as much as possible. Good luck with it! Is your mate not maybe willing to do a 50/50 partnership on the car with you?

Good advice Roy but id say never do a 50/50 partnership, I have seen this many times in many car clubs with various owners and cars and it never works!
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

This might also be a viable technique, although I can't say I've tried it myself.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xe93ur ... s-min_auto
Gabriel
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It worked ok for me in the past - 3 of us shared 3 Morris 8E cars - it worked out ok - we were all poor as church mice, but did get two of them on the road. Two of us then went on to share a 'racing' Mini - which we used for Autocross with some success in our class - considering the absolute minimal investment in the car! Eventually I bought the other one out, but that was just because he had lost interest - his 'times' were a lot slower than mine ! beware working in a barn - I had a Sprite Mk I I kept in a farm barn with full approval of the farmer - went back two weeks later and it had been completely wrecked by his sons - gauges all smashed/panels bashed in/tyres punctured/seats destroyed. He didn't want to know..... :cry:
Last edited by bmcecosse on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
qwerty165
Minor Addict

Post by qwerty165 »

laneychief wrote:are there plans for things like that anywhere or is it a off the top of your head job?
It was a case of looking at other rollovers to see how they were made and then making something that does the job, with what you have to hand so I guess it does require a bit of 'of the top of your head' thinking.

laneychief
Minor Fan

Post by laneychief »

Thanks guys.

Well, I've managed to secure a garage at the house of a lady I work for (gardening). The garage next door houses a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud 3 that I get to look after....

So garage, check!

Next is securing the money to buy it back....a small loan from a family member I think.

Then onto learning to weld and getting a jig or rolling him over somehow.

Before I sold it, the engine was great and everything else was great it was just welding that needed doing!

(Well apart from a radiator hose bursting while I was driving it onto the pickup, one last goodbye!)

Edd, 26, Devon.
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Sounds like you are not made of money. A rollover jig will not be cheap. Just roll in over on old tyres and cushions.[frame]Image[/frame]

Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Some Minor rollover jigs (e.g., Mr Grumpy type) bolted to the wheel hubs:

Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Hi Edd

This guy is pretty rough and ready with his techniques, but I think you will find it helpful to watch his videos, including rolling the Morris on tyres.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPY_8xinlmQ

I have one of his CDs, but you can see a lot of his work on various youtube clips.

All the best with your lost limb :wink:

Don
laneychief
Minor Fan

Post by laneychief »

Wow! That guy does a good job of rolling it over! Haha.

I'm a bit scared of taking the engine and box out, purely as I've never done it before and I'm worried I won't be able to put it back properly haha!

Right. Onto the next step of getting Morris back!

I will keep you updated! Thank you again guys!

Edd, 26, Devon.
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Take heart: the Minor is one of the easiest cars to remove the engine and gearbox from (and replace to).

I've had my engine in and out a good few times now, and replaced the gearbox a couple of times too. In fact, you don't even need an engine crane to remove the engine, as you can slide it away from the gearbox on a trolley jack, then lift it out with a couple of people, if need be. :)

Prior to doing the Minor, I'd only helped out a friend with removing a VW Beetle engine - also one of the easiest cars to work on from that point of view.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Don't worry about getting engines out. First step is getting the car back. Engines/roll over jigs can wait. :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Maximas
Minor Friendly

Post by Maximas »

Good advice Roy but id say never do a 50/50 partnership, I have seen this many times in many car clubs with various owners and cars and it never works![/quote]

I share my 53 convertable with my 72 year old dad.....I payed for it,maintain it,insure it ...he drives and polishes it :lol:
laneychief
Minor Fan

Post by laneychief »

Cool!

Yep, I am working on getting it back finance wise, starting to look better!

Anyone got any advice on welders? Looking at some little arc welders, just for some simple stuff really can't afford any of the more expensive ones!

Edd, 26, Devon.