Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Morris Minor in car magazines

Post by philthehill »

I do not think that a Inspecting Engineer worth his salt is going to accept that it is just any old 'A' Series.
Better to be up front with them and get it all inspected and approved because I am certain as day follows night that any deception will come back to bite you.

bmc
Yes I also noted the reference to Riley 1.5 disc brakes! Large Riley 9" front drums yes. Brilliant stopping power but a very heavy brake assembly, even heavier than the Marina disk brake conversion.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Post by bmcecosse »

Red Midget - I too think as long as it is an A series engine in the car - with standard (looking) single carb/air cleaner and manifold - they won't be too bothered about the actual swept volume capacity. Of course - once you ASK/TELL them - then you are stuck with their decision......I would fit a Midget type 1275 (so not the obviously different Marina type) with the engine number transferred from the old engine - and just get on with it! :wink:
Phil - I agree - the Riley drums are bloody heavy - Wolseley ones are a bit lighter, and work very well....... :) My 'spare' 1275 is pretty much to the spec of the engine in that article - just need an excuse to justify fitting it...... :)
ImageImage
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

It would be interesting to see and understand what the engineering inspection consists of especially relating to the owner question sheet and submitted answers.
If you do as suggested above what is the point in taking it for examination? Would it get picked up at the annual German equivalent of our MOT? Do you have to declare the swept volume on the vehicle documents (as we (should) do in the UK) and what is the penalty for falsifying the vehicle documents?
I still would not try to pull the wool over the eyes of the Inspecting Engineer's no matter how desperate I was to fit a 1275cc engine into my car.
Too many unknowns for me to risk getting caught :oops:

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

How is it ever going to be found - it's not as if they can put in a protest and get the head lifted! :roll:
ImageImage
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

bmc
It is easy to differentiate between the 948/1098cc block and the 1275cc block at first glance by the lack of cam follower covers on the 1275cc engine whether it be a 1275cc MG Midget/Sprite or even 1275cc Marina or even using a Cooper 'S' block. An easily identified and a well known difference. You do not have to lift the head and measure the bores and swept volume. It cannot be assumed that German Inspection Engineers are ignorant of the differences; too much information on the web and that is unfortunate or fortunate depending on your view.

MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

It's only easy if you know what you are looking for!
I would only expect that amount of knowledge on German cars when in Germany.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If they are going to examine a car for conformity and safety the first rule is to know what you are examining. That means having some background knowledge.
Anyway it is all hypothetical until we know that the inspection process and parameters are.

alexandermclaren
Minor Addict

Post by alexandermclaren »

philthehill wrote:If they are going to examine a car for conformity and safety the first rule is to know what you are examining. That means having some background knowledge.
Anyway it is all hypothetical until we know that the inspection process and parameters are.
:D well said Phil I would agree on that point

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Alex
Thank you for the above comment.
Having been before retirement a MOT examiner, part of a vehicle, plant and other equipment examination team and then heading up that team and having sat as a SME on a Defects & Modification Committee it is only right and proper that the right processes both by the Owner and the Examining Engineers are fully carried out to the letter of the law/regulation.
I do not want to be the one hit and possibly injured by a non compliant vehicle.
Phil

Larryb
Minor Friendly

Post by Larryb »

There has been an ongoing discussion (controversy) here in the State of Maine USA regarding the State's requirement to have your car inspected every year for road worthiness. The discussion centers on the following points;

1. There are many States in the USA which have no inspection process. Is there ANY data, study or scientific analysis that shows that those non-inspection States have a higher incidence of accidents related to defective autos than the inspection States. The answer is no. The Maine law is merely a "feel-good" law without any proof that it is necessary or that it works.

2. Maine is a vacation destination and tens of thousands of cars from States which do not have inspection laws are driving on Maine roads all the time. Why is it that a person from another State can use Maine roads without an inspection but Maine residents may not. Maine residents are penalized for living here.

3. A brand new car is required to be safety inspected. That makes no sense. Today's cars need not be inspected for at least 5 years if at all.

4. It has come to light that many independent gas stations and garages who actually do the inspections are fraudulently telling motorists that they need this or that repair to get the safety sticker. They are using cosmetic problems as safety problems or just making the whole business up to get a lucrative repair job.

I say...prove it is needed and works or drop the dumb law.
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Does anyone know what became of the Miller Minor? The last I gathered, it was owned by John Lyon of BSM High Performance Course, but I've tried messaging him about it and not received any reply.

Also, JEP 261 now appears on a modern 2019 Range Rover...
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)