Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stroprock
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Floor paint

Post by stroprock »

I am in the process of restoring my '67 2dr saloon. I am stonechipping the underside and plan to respray the body in 2k English white. What should I do as far as the interior floorpan? Is it wise to treat it like the exterior (bare metal, etch prime, seam seal, 2k primer, top coat) or is there a product I can use which is easier and quicker, as this is inside the car after all and not open to the elements (and will be covered by carpet anyway :) )
[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
kevin s
Minor Legend

Re: Floor paint

Post by kevin s »

My plan is to paint with a good rust proofing paint, then paint with white ( which comes out off white) stone chip, this will be tough and add some sound deadening, finally it will be treated with waxoil under the carpets and seats.

Kevin
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

When I did my 1961 saloon I wirebrushed the floor,vacuumed it, treated with rust converter( Bilt Hamer?),then 3 coats of Hammerite. Still ok after 7 years. Main thing is to look after the underneath I think.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The other important thing is to prevent water getting inside the car in the first place. Many old Minors have rusted from the inside out due to leaking window rubbers/damp carpets. If you keep the inside dry you'll be halfway there :wink:
Other than that, I agree - bare metal then a good rust preventative primer followed by a paint of your choice. Then a wax rust preventative injected into all the box sections - sills, rear seat platform, door pillars etc etc.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I agree. The wax injection isn't too expensive either. I was told that it's better done when the car is bone dry else you could trap water between the metal and the wax. Seems plausible.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Similar to Kevin's post, I used Hammerite Stone Shield, it gives that original bumpy texture and can be oversprayed body colour.