Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Blades
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

My First Morris Minor

Post by Blades »

Finally after many years of saving up I have bought my first Morris Minor :-), I drove her home at the weekend up the M1 from Coventry and it never missed a beat, as an added bonus the heater works very well

I am going to look forward to enjoying driving Bessie, keeping her maintained and making one or two cosmetic changes over time

Many thanks must go to Paulltubby, with out Paul's help, advice and guidance whether that being on e-mails, text messages or on the phone I wouldn't have been able to buy this car, I don't know if the owners club have any awards for members going out of their way to help others but I would definitely like to nominate Paul

Nick[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Last edited by Blades on Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sig]9332[/sig]
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: My First Morris Minor

Post by SteveClem »

Looks like a cracking car. Congratulations!
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

nice looking car. well done :D
is that a petrol cap on the rocker cover?
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

Glad you're sorted Nick.
Samuria, some Minors have a filler cap like that, with a metal cord to secure them. Methinks they're a period replacement to the plastic ones ;)
gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

Nick, very nice looking car.
Looking at the last picture, I would re-route the battery Earth strap round to the right (as you look in from the front) as the braided strap could end up make and breaking a shorter earth connection on the battery restraining bar.
Good choice of a nice green saloon (I like green).
Enjoy your driving, George.
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Glad to hear it found a good home. The owner had been trying to sell it for a long time! I went to see it months ago when he also had two others for sale as well. The green car was the best of them and had the best rust-free doors I'd seen on a Minor for a long while. It was SO plastered in underseal/waxoyl underneath that it was hard to judge the condition, the brakes pulled to one side and it had very perished and oversize tyres on, as well as being at the top end of my budget so after some consideration I left it. I did see it advertised a couple of times later but he'd put the price up rather than down so maybe he'd done some further work on it and I found another 4door which was rather less expensive. I did think it was basically a decent car though which must have been looked after for much of its life for the interior and chrome brightwork to be so good. I hope you enjoy your new purchase :)
minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

Your minor looks the business, it shouldn't need very much done to it !! It looks just like one of my grandfather's old minor. Enjoy !!!

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It looks very nice - let's hope it is as nice underneath...... Please don't spoil it with 'cosmetics' :roll:
ImageImage
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Quite right. Looks took good to be messed around with.
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

chesney wrote:Glad you're sorted Nick.
Samuria, some Minors have a filler cap like that, with a metal cord to secure them. Methinks they're a period replacement to the plastic ones ;)
:oops: i stand corrected.
still a cracking car :wink:
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

samuria wrote:
chesney wrote:Glad you're sorted Nick.
:oops: i stand corrected.
still a cracking car :wink:
If I hadn't had a Minor in the past with the same setup, I'd have drawn the same conclusions! ;)
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Looks good, enjoy the motoring :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Nice car and the shock of having a new driver did not cause it to break down on its motorway journey!
The rocker box is from a 948 Minor with the earlier metal cap and the vacuum pipe is also earlier, later cars had a plastic pipe. Check that the engine is a 1098!
The car has been changed to neg earth and the battery has beeen turned around to suit. Be careful that the live cable does not short out on the bodywork and when the time comes to change the battery get one with the pos and neg terminals the other way round so they are at the back of the battery.
Last edited by mike.perry on Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[sig]3580[/sig]
themightylionel
Minor Fan

Post by themightylionel »

looks great! enjoy :D

Lionel and I, my 1965 2 door :)
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

What a Gorgious car you have there :) welcome to the club :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968 Morris Minor - 2 door - Smoke Grey - De luxe - called Norma
-1970 Morris traveller - trafalgar blue - De luxe - called Ona
PaulTubby
Minor Fan

Post by PaulTubby »

bmcecosse wrote:It looks very nice - let's hope it is as nice underneath...... Please don't spoil it with 'cosmetics' :roll:
Yes Roy, this is a good one underneath! The underside is very good in all respects and not had lots of mot patching... in fact the car overall is very good... and a very genuine car... time for Nick to enjoy it and get some miles under its belt! This was a long search to find a good one and has been well worth it! Thanks for your kind comments also Nick, its been a pleasure helping you find the car of your dreams :)
Blades
Minor Fan

Post by Blades »

Thank you every one for your kind comments, George I will alter the earth strap on the battery

Roy, I won't be fitting head light peaks :-), the cosmetics I had in mind were things like electronic ignition and fitting poly bushes, nothing too drastic just things to improve it a little

Thank you Paul, I will enjoy driving her, I had only had the car on the drive for an hour when the neighbours were out having a look :-)

Nick
[sig]9332[/sig]