Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dorisandjack
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

doing the distance

Post by dorisandjack »

evenin' all, doris and i are making the long journey from leicester to Newquay, besides all the obvious points such as full maintenance going over and the likes i was wondering what other things i might need to do to prep the classic for such a long run, for example, are there any spare parts that'd be worth taking and also what would be a safe cruising speed for such a long distance in an 1100cc? i've never done more than a 50mile journey in the morris and i was looking for some seasoned travellers to give some pointers please!
Sparticus
Minor Fan

Re: doing the distance

Post by Sparticus »

Water, Haribos and some oil...

And ear plugs :lol:
Grant, 23, Morris Minor traveller - Saloon. Merlin traveller 90% finished!
DSN Classics

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

If it's your first long journey together I'd stick to the A roads not motorways in case you need to stop. Make sure the spare wheel is in a roadworthy condition - (don't forget the jack/ hub cap remover) Bottle of water (rad). Check water levels for windscreen wipers after all this is Britain!
RAC/AA card in case you need to be recovered in an emergency.

Take it easy with stops to rest your legs. Enjoy the journey. :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Andrew Fletcher

Post by Andrew Fletcher »

Hello,
in 2013 we did a 4 week tour of the West Country starting from Germany in 1966 convertible. We clocked up just under 2500 miles on all sorts of roads including Motorways. Our criusing speed on motorways was 60 - 65 mph.
I carried very few spares, just the following:
spark plugs, points, condenser, roll of tank tape, fan belt. The only part that I used was the fan belt. Nothing else went wrong, broke or needed changing.
I also had a small tool kit in the car. Just a few spanners, a screw driver, pliers and a test light.
I hope that this helps you.

Andrew :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I'll second the comment about staying well away from Motorways. Your classic car insurance should include roadside and recovery, and if so - no need for additional AA/RAC/Green Flag cover. Obviously I carry may more spares than others have listed - most importantly head gasket and water hoses. Also a known working fuel pump and dizzy..... A small trolley jack is essential and a bit of wood to spread the load...
ImageImage
TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

Sparticus wrote:
And ear plugs :lol:

Don't you dare wear earplugs! You need all the faculties that your God has allowed you to retain!
:roll:
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

I'm with Roy, but would add throttle return spring. I reckon to lose a couple of mpg due to the weight of what I carry, but also like to be preapred, and would prefer to be able to get home. We have driven from Essex to farthest Cornwall, to the Isle of Man (albeit with a ferry in the routes) and Inverness. A few weeks ago we were at Scampston Hall doing a reccy for the rally. Leicester - Newquay no worries.
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Something to lie/kneel on when you break down, disposable gloves or hand wipes, painkillers.............

tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

LOL thats confidence for you! "when you break down".
Mick
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

At least if you have the parts with you - the 'roadside' guy doesn't have the excuse to say he can't fix it.... Whether he would launch into a headgasket swap at the side of the road is another matter. I did it - on a very hot day - wearing a business suit, and the hardest part was walking into town to buy a gasket - and back again to the stricken car. So lesson learned - spare gasket always in the car.
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

It does not matter how many spares you carry, the one that breaks down will always be the one you don't have a spare for
[sig]3580[/sig]
dorisandjack
Minor Friendly

Post by dorisandjack »

replies much apreciated, I think top of the list is painkillers then car spares next :) I always carry jump leads, jack and a fairly extensive tool kit anyway along with ht leads, dizzy cap, oil, water and screen wash but I think it may be worth buying a spare fuel pump as it's not really something you can bodge to work if it packs up! I've got a £5 bet riding on her making it there and back so that should cover the fuel right?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

At least add points and condenser....and fan belt.... Screen wash...seriously ??
ImageImage
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

add clutch spring had one of those go
[sig]5641[/sig]
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

sounds like you just about need to take a spare car with you! :lol:
Ufudu
Minor Fan

Post by Ufudu »

Don't forget the spare windscreen!
(don't ask me why the photo keeps getting inverted. If I invert the original then it does not invert, so the result is the same upside-down car)

[frame]Image[/frame]
Ufudu

1960 Morris Minor 4 door saloon
1957 Series 1 Land Rover

SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

The most important thing is belief! Years ago I got anxious about taking the old cars on long runs but I've learned that if they're well cared for it's never a problem. These cars were capable of mega miles from new and with care they just keep on doing what they were built to do...just in their own time, of course.
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

Ufudu wrote:Don't forget the spare windscreen!
(don't ask me why the photo keeps getting inverted. If I invert the original then it does not invert, so the result is the same upside-down car)

[frame]Image[/frame]
You could push the windshield out, open the windows and then look super cool driving with all the wind in your hair and bugs in your face, just like a motorcycle!

So, I guess, take some sunglasses and a good looking bandana.
Gabriel
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

I noticed that lots of people fit a roof rack and carry an ironing board when going to Newquay, not sure why?

Bertie.