Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tysonn
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Morris minor XUR 19

Post by tysonn »

I thought the local authorities had all closed and been moved to Swansea?My cars' reg was a Leeds issue and I searched for local offices but found none.I even looked for Volvo dealers in 1973 in that area.My local was Beverley and that went.
Mick
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

Guess they all find us old car enthusiasts a pain in the DONT SWEAR OR YOU WILL BE BANNED. We're not on their radar at all. Girl at my dentist today thought I was really poor because she saw me arrive in the Morris. Mind you she was a dental nurse and looked about 15...
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Whoops! Didn't know the shorter version of 'bottom 'was considered swearing. It's not around these parts.
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Do you mean "bott" or a**e?
Mick
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

The latter I'm afraid Mick. Didn't even register that it was considered rude. Count the times that words considered 'swearing' are used on the BBC every night! Who sets the rules on this and are they living in the 19 th century? There's a street in Newcastle called 'c.ntgrope lane',and has been for centuries. I wonder if the Post Office refuses to deliver there? Political correctness gone mad...
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Agreed!We're all adults(hopefully).It even happens in a PM.I appreciate its done by software but its very big brother IMHO.
Mick
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

As Win says, contact the local authority. Looks like you're lucky and Hertford still have their records, in which case it will be evidence enough for you to retain the original registration number. Some council have moved them to some sort of historical archives department so it may need some tracking down - the Dorset History Archives Dep. (or similar) had all the vehicle registration records and were able to supply me with photocopies for my 1935 Hudson Terraplane (aka the pile of bits and chassis leaning in the corner) so with that and supporting letter from the appropriate club, it should be (haha) a straightforward matter to get a V5...
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Well I aren't in Hertford?Pardon me if I'm being more stupid than usual but can someone please tell me what to put in the google search box to find "local authorities".If such a place actually exists in darkest N.Yorks I will be grateful and happily give them the original reg number to see what they come up with.Its obviously not too late even now to retain the original number.
TIA
Mick
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

Here you are Mick. If your car was registered in North Yorkshire in the period they have the 1921 - 1978 records for it. Check out their web site. Good on them for retaining the records when many other authorities didn't.

North Yorkshire County Record Office
Browse repositories

Malpas Road
Northallerton
England
DL7 8TB

Telephone: 01609 777 585
Fax: 01609 777 078

Email: archives@northyorks.gov.uk

Visit website

Open: Monday-Tuesday 9-4.45, Wednesday 9-8.45, Thursday 9-4.45, Friday 9-4.15; 1st Saturday of month 9-4.15
Last edited by busguy on Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Leeds Public Records vehicle archives dept first point of call.

some even quote chassis number, but a photocopy giving Make/Colour is usually
enough.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Wheres that Chris?Do you have a link?
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Is this the site being mentioned?Can't seem to find "browse repsoitories"

http://northyorks.gov.uk/article/23584/ ... ord-office

Mick
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

Yes, that's the North Yorks records office, and that page is the 'repositories' page. If you google motor tax records for North Yorkshire County council it brings you to the right page too. They hold the old records for the North Riding of Yorkshire there.

If you phone them, they will tell you the procedures to obtain the info you might want. There may be a fee if they have to do a search for you. Towns or cities in Yorkshire who issued their own vehicle registration letters may have the old records, but many don't.

XUR 19 was a county council allocated number when new, and it seems the records still survive.
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Thanks for that .Was Leeds for definite.MNW
Mick
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Thinking about it busguy,Leeds is West not North Yorks.I may have understood it wrongly(still not found it anyway even with that exact search string),I was assuming this record was searchable online.Are you saying I have to call them?Hard to believe I made a living out of computers!
Mick
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

tysonn wrote:Thinking about it busguy,Leeds is West not North Yorks.I may have understood it wrongly(still not found it anyway even with that exact search string),I was assuming this record was searchable online.Are you saying I have to call them?Hard to believe I made a living out of computers!
Mick
They were all manual written records, some records are the original paper ones, most now on microfiche, but not computer accessible. I am not saying you should call them, it was merely a suggestion, if easiest. If you don't want to phone them, you can call in and see them if you like........... :wink:
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Cheers mate,I just didnt understand.Yes of course they were paper records.Thanks for your help I'll give 'em a ring.
Cheers
Mick