Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Environmental Zones

Post by Nickol »

I was discussing with a fellow enthusiast this afternoon about our environmental zones here in Germany and I have ,( or rather my friend does) a question as to how it works in GB?

Here, most of the large towns/cities have this Zone where only cars with a green sticker in the windschreen are allowed to enter. However, registered historic vehicles bearing a "H" number plate are exempt from the rule. To get an "H" suffix number plate is a tortuous affair both physically as well as bureaucratically - and you pay €190 a year tax. For most older cars with dodgy emissions, this is a tax advantage. We perceive England as a paradise for classic cars with zero tax !!

How does the system work in GB ? - is there a system? I do not ever remeber seeing green stickers but have heard that central London, for example (dreadful place to be in) has restrictions of a sort.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Environmental Zones

Post by SteveClem »

Well Nickol, in typical British tradition we mess around and debate and put off decisions. Broadly speaking every pre 1974 car is tax excempt and 'historic '. Lots of debate regarding emissions etc and different cities/towns will take their own views. Even London seems to see the value of having classic cars driving around the city and will probably exclude them from the ultra high emissions rules. There are so few of our cars remaining that their contribution to global warming is comparable to the country's dogs passing wind.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

It only seems to apply to commercial vehicles in London at least;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_low_emission_zone

The congestion charge applies to cars though electric ones are exempt;
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

From Sept 2020 The London congestion charge zone will also be an 'ultra low emission zone'

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ult ... ssion-zone

meaning all but the newest cars will have to pay a higher tax/fine each day they enter the zone. I had heard that diesels over 5 years old would be banned but can't find the data to pack that up.

As a small concession historic vehicles will be completely exempt from the congestion & emissions charge.

Generally in the UK emissions laws aren't retrospective so the MOT (TUV) checks for 'visible smoke' on Minors.

So unless anything changes, Minors and pre-73 veshicle will be unafected but this could change for example London's mayor changes.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Congestion charges should be based on the size of the exhaust pipe :D
[sig]3580[/sig]