Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
impearse
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Front seats in a 4-door (1958)

Post by impearse »

Hello there, I've just become a Moggie owner, and I'm still learning my way around it. A question about the front seats... is it usual to have tilting front seats in a 4-door, i.e. where they're not necessary? I find that the seats sit rather low at the back, so I'm having to lean forward to see properly. At the same time, it feels like my backside is on the floor. It would be good to be able to at least lift the back of the seats up so I'm sitting higher and more upright. I'm 6 foot tall so seating is not usually a problem! Any advice welcomed. :D
panky
Minor Legend

Re: Front seats in a 4-door (1958)

Post by panky »

Hi and welcome to the messageboard :)
There were rubber packing blocks on the back of the seats originally, you could turn them round to various thicknesses to adjust the rear seat height. Maybe try a couple of pieces of wood to bring it up a bit after first checking to see the seat webbing hasn't collapsed and making sure the seat frame isn't sinking through the floor :o :wink:
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

There were rubber packing blocks on the back of the seats originally
Hi,
Was that standard across the range?
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Not fitted as standard but used by many

http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... ade4f14341

My Dad used a piece of wood kept under the carpet so it didnt look so obvious.

Too many Minors so little time.....
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Ah sorry, mine's has them so thought it was the norm.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Have you checked under the seats? Has the webbing that supports the seats sagged? If so new webbing (available from any morris supplier) will certainly stop you feeling like your rear is on the floor! :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

The OP has seats exactly like those in every moggy I've owned.I thought they were all made like that.Like a hair shirt.
Mick
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I'm always staggered that owners put up with uncomfortable collapsed seats in their Minors when they can be repaired so easily. I don't find Minor seats particularly uncomfortable but I have taken mine apart and replaced the webbing straps and cushions which makes a huge difference. Otherwise it is like sitting on a bucket and having practically no back support :x

Those rubber blocks are pretty useless and wriggle about. A better solution is probably a length of wood as suggested above - either on the floor or drill holes in the bottom of the seat frame and bolt the wood to that. BUT get the seat fixed first and you probably won't need anything else. I never have.

Yes, the seats always tipped in the 4door which wasn't necessary but the passenger seat was not a folding seat which at that time it was in all the 2door models.
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

I replaced the webbing in mine and they're still c**p.
Mick
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

There used to be a rubber diaphragm that could be used instead of the webbing, it works much better in my opinion.
Replacing the bottom two webbing straps in the seat back helps too.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Gareth
Minor Legend

Post by Gareth »

I'd definitely recommend rebuilding the seats - new webbing straps and new foam make the world of difference. There is a diaphragm that you can buy (ESM stock it, plus others, I should imagine) which may help, but the individual straps are what was most likely there.

I've used blocks of wood beneath the back of the seat (I'm 5'7" and used to drive in a very upright fasion) but since rebuilding the seats, I found the standard position (fitted in the first set of holes, and one notch back on the adjuster) fine for my (now slightly more relaxed) driving position.
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

tysonn wrote:I replaced the webbing in mine and they're still c**p.
Mick
I've seldom found replacing the straps alone does the job. The base foam falls apart over time and that needs replacing too. You'll find the driving position is much improved. Better still to do the whole seat - backrest too. Transforms the driving experience :) Actually, the replacement foam bases available aren't the best anyway and I expect with some research a better more dense material could be found which would be even more supportive and longer lasting.

The rubber diaphragm mentioned above was largely used on Minis and some people prefer to use it on the Minor too. It does seem to last a bit longer. I think they were possibly used on the Police "Panda car" Minors which also had a strengthened seat frame?
impearse
Minor Friendly

Post by impearse »

Thanks for all the info folks. I've seen the rubber blocks for sale, not too pricey, so will give those a try. We also intend to replace the straps and foam to improve things, might do that now. One day will probably re-cover them too... one bit at a time!
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

I think the rubber blocks were either a Triumph thing (seen a few on Heralds and such like) or an aftermarket extra. But as folk say, a rebuild of the seat base transforms them. The rubber diaphragms were only used as standard on Panda cars, to cope with extra Constabulary weight day in day out etc, but may be a worthwhile upgrade...

Easy enough to chuck a lump of wood under the back of the seat legs as a quick fix though. :)
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Hi Ian
I have replaced the knackered straps in my front seats with new straps on the backs and the rubber diaphragm on the bases then used a dense type of foam on the bases, I got them all from ESM. It has transformed the seats I can see over the bonnet now :D
Andy

Bungo
Minor Friendly

Post by Bungo »

Maybe you could use a similar set up for the Morris Minor??[frame]Image[/frame]

tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Sure looks more comfy than my traveller seats.Bit too airy for me though.
Mick
GeordieDave
Minor Fan

Post by GeordieDave »

Treat your seat when you refurbish them - add heating elements for those colder days. Probably only suitable if you have an alternator.

[frame]Image[/frame]