Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Insurance disappointment

Post by les »

I'm normally a supporter of Footman James insurance but having just received my renewal notice, I see that the premium includes a £10 Arrangement fee! None of my circumstances have changed, they are exactly as last renewal, I have simply been invited to renew again. I'm wondering what arrangements the company had to make, apart from arranging for a letter to be sent, and that was to their advantage, assuming I renew. Why do people look to make money in these underhand ways? There was no mention of this last year. I'm damned annoyed about someone trying to get that bit extra.

aupickup
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Insurance disappointment

Post by aupickup »

hmm i agree
mine had the same charge
Sparticus
Minor Fan

Post by Sparticus »

Ooooft a £10!!! Good golly no way are they getting my business...

I bet you're paying sub £150 as well :lol: :P
Grant, 23, Morris Minor traveller - Saloon. Merlin traveller 90% finished!
DSN Classics

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

It's crazy, arrangement fee, surely that's their job! To arrange insurance! It's like being a greengrocer and charging a customer ten quid because they had to arrange for some cabbages to be stocked, hell, greengrocers sell cabbages, They are not doing anyone a favour, arranging their stock Is down to them. Am I taking this too far? :D

drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

Mine was £88 with Hagerty classic.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Let your fingers do the walking !
ImageImage
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Peter Taylor Insurance £85.Never any attempt to screw an extra tenner out of me.Tell FJ where to go.
Mick
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Most insurance companies charge an arrangement fee. Some are up front about it in and refer to it within their quotes, others will hide it within the policy small print. Charges vary, for example Hastings Direct charge a £20.00 fee for car insurance renewal: https://www.hastingsdirect.com/ourFees.html

Eric - 1971 Traveller
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

They probably use the money for bird seed for Steven the seagull :lol:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
hammersmith
Minor Friendly

Post by hammersmith »

I have just renewed mine with FJ and asked how I could reduce it, they gave me a discount of nearly £20. :D
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

This is it with insurance companies.Basically I think theyre almost all con men.Every year you get a renewal notice(classic or everyday car),its always disappointingly more than you expect.Invariably calling them ends in a reduction in the quote!In their perfect world we'd all just pay without question and they'd be even richer.
Mick
MrIan
Minor Fan

Post by MrIan »

tysonn wrote:This is it with insurance companies.Basically I think theyre almost all con men.Every year you get a renewal notice(classic or everyday car),its always disappointingly more than you expect.Invariably calling them ends in a reduction in the quote!In their perfect world we'd all just pay without question and they'd be even richer.
Mick
Very true, I had a renewal come up for my modern motor and wasn't impressed with the £450 quote. Went online to the search engine quote sites and got it £150 less from the same firm that had sent me the renewal !!!!!!
Quite funny as when the policy was set up they contacted me to ask for proof of NCB that I should forward to them from my previous insurer. ''It Was You'' I said with a smug grin on my face ! :lol:
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

just insured mine with heritage £79 :D
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Would be interesting to see just how much FJ quote for the same risk.
Mick
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well muggings here renewed with fj, as I couldn't be asked to go through all the agreed value rigmarole again, photos etc. However increased the value to something more in keeping, and no premium increase, so let it go. Did politely express my amazement over the fee.

MrIan
Minor Fan

Post by MrIan »

My 1959 2 door is insured with Flux at a cost of nearly £200. Initial over the phone paid for quote was £150 and even though i'd told them on the phone that the car had a 1275 engine / 5 speed box / gas shocks / alloys and servo discs when they got the modified vehicle form back they charged an extra £50 for the mods. Wasn't really that impressed to be honest as i'd mentioned the spec on the phone, but i've used Flux before and till now they've always been ok.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

I'm with Peter James - quite a few "upgrades" and as long as they are mentioned at the time of the quote they are happy. Just over £100 pa for myself & Hubby and I have 4 cars so we could have 2 on the road at any one time.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
hammersmith
Minor Friendly

Post by hammersmith »

Well yes I know what you mean about going through the the rig ma roll of value mileage photographs and so on. I did try other companies a few years ago and they offered low premiums for limited mileage, and market rate for the car. I had to laugh when I questioned limited mileage and asked did they know about Morris minors. They replied only what it shows me on the computer. I to decided to stick with FJ. :wink:
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

Could be worse, insurance companies refuse to cover almost everything over 20 years old over here, and most definitely the Morris since, as they say "spare parts are very difficult to find".

After many phone calls and string pulling finally one company gave me a quote, 1800 pounds (roughly) for a year's insurance with a low, low deductible of 850. For a Morris, with the original engine and no modifications whatsoever.

To put this into perspective I pay 260 a year with a 160 deductible for the modern; this is for full coverage. So for the moment the Morris remains uninsured (not illegal here, but definitely not an ideal situation).

And old motorcycles? Every single insurer simply said "NO".
Gabriel
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Can't be doing with this insurance haggling these days. Good local insurance broker,agreed valuations, 12,000 miles per year total,latest quote less than £270 for a modified Trav, a 2 Dr saloon, A30 and a Marathon beetle. No hassle. This on line stuff isn't always the cheapest or the best.