Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Adrian J F
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Steering wheel lock

Post by Adrian J F »

Hi. What :lol: security do people recommend for the traveller. I was thinking of some kind of steering lock? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
panky
Minor Legend

Re: Steering wheel lock

Post by panky »

A 'Disclock' is very effective and obvious to a potential thief. You will need the large size to fit a standard Minor steering wheel :)
MrIan
Minor Fan

Post by MrIan »

Yes as mentioned above the Disclock is the best and I think the only one insurances recognise as far as I know. Not the neatest contraption mind you but it does the job. There are others that lock the wheel to the pedals and also the one's that limit wheel turning but a determined thief can get past them so deterrent only.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Yep it's a heavy lump of a thing and it's advisable to have the drivers door open when you fit/remove it as you can chip the paint on the door :oops: But if you haven't got the key then you need an angle grinder to remove it.
DMC
Minor Friendly

Post by DMC »

I have a Disklock for my traveller and yes it is a pain to get on and off but I'd rather have that than nothing at all.
It is definitley easier to take it off with the door open.
When I put mine on I rotate the lock towards the passenger side so the arm is facing that way. I find it's easier to take off when I do that. Less chance of cracking the windscreen or chipping paint.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Yep we learned the same thing in isolation :)
Adrian J F
Minor Friendly

Post by Adrian J F »

Thanks, appreciate the advice and tips!
Miles1
Minor Friendly

Post by Miles1 »

I use a Disklock and it really does a fantastic job, both as a deterrent and as lock that is really difficult to remove without a key. As others have noted though, it is quite large and heavy.

You will need to think about where it will go while you are driving. Some use the passenger footwell, but I usually carry a passenger so that doesn't work for me. And I don't like the idea of it being loose behind the front seats in case of an accident. So I keep it in the boot when travelling, in a wooden tray (that is attached to the floor) that holds it securely, and you can get it in/out in seconds.

Cheers
Steve[frame]Image[/frame]
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Good idea, mine lives on the back seat :oops:
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Myrtles Man »

Mod. Says: "This post and the one after it refer to a post that was reported and has been deleted."

Er, this thread resurrection is either a joke or an effort to sell something isn't it? Pouches for keyless-entry equipment, steering column locks, parking light - on a Morris Minor? Are you sure?
Last edited by simmitc on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To insert additional information
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Was wondering much the same myself... although some very late Travellers did have steering column locks, but with none of the 'wheel off-centre to engage lock that most moderns seem to have now :)

As an aside I use a 4-Tress locking bar which I inherited with a now long-ago sold Toyota 4x4. On the Minor it's a visual deterrent for the casual theif. Downside is it's heavy and has caused a small crack in my steering wheel rim to enlarge/open up over recent months.

Secret switch is better provided you keep it's location and function secret!
1956 4-door called Max
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Having only recently acquired a Morris Minor and being aware of the vulnerability of older, less sophisticated cars to thieves, I've unearthed a nice bright yellow wheel clamp from my garage where it's been languishing for several years. Hopefully it will act as a visual and actual deterrent for the occasions when I need to leave the car outside rather than being locked safely away under cover. As far as theft-deterrence is concerned when I'm out and about, I suppose that the distributor arm tucked away in my pocket will be as effective as anything; possibly with the car left unlocked so as to avoid bodywork damage as a result of forced entry. Thinking about it, a spare key left in the ignition might also avoid hot-wiring damage too. Not sure about that though. Maybe.
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

Now that the thread has come back to life, I’ll chip in:

A cutout switch to the fuel pump is pretty easy to hide. You need to run the wires back to under the dash, binding them to the existing loom so that they are not obvious.

My car also came from a previous owner with a battery cut off switch under the dash, but it’s pretty obvious to see when you open the bonnet, so not really an anti-theft measure.
Last edited by BrianHawley on Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Back in the late 70s, a chap I knew brought a Triumph Dolomite fitted with a home made device.
Basically important circuits were connected to a connector, to which a 'shorting plug' was fitted. Take the plug with you when you left the car and you've not just flicked a switch, you've taken the wiring with you.
The connector was a standard aircraft/military style connector, and although we were in the RAF, he didn't buy it from a Service person, but I suppose a previous owner may have been. :wink:
No doubt many of you will be unclear as to what sort of connector I'm talking about, so see here for a bulkhead connector:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mil-spec ... s/0450146/
The matching plug to remove and pocket would be:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mil-spec ... s/0450304/

These are a bit expensive new, but there are surplus sites that stock such items.
Such as this
http://www.electrojumble.org.uk/Connectors_Military.htm
Basil the 1955 series II

Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Or you could go for one of these:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Heavy-Duty-Bat ... 2096775398

I had one on a Lotus Elan which, I'm happy to report, was never nicked :D
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Myrtles Man wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:07 pm Or you could go for one of these:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Heavy-Duty-Bat ... 2096775398

I had one on a Lotus Elan which, I'm happy to report, was never nicked :D
But did anyone ever try to??
I'm always a bit sceptical about those as a security device, rather than an 'electrical isolator' for safety use, because anyone lifting the bonnet who has a bit of an idea will spot it quite easily. Might stop the teenage joyrider I suppose if they've no idea what's under a bonnet.

I currently use one of these, a visual deterrent and an inconvenience as you can't turn the steering wheel, plus easy to stow away.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-B ... SwuhFaKqsn
Basil the 1955 series II

BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

Easy to remove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd2Op5VpUrg

Possibly take a bit longer on a moggie wheel.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

IMG_1113.JPG
IMG_1113.JPG (1.74 MiB) Viewed 3078 times
Pedal clamp.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

BrianHawley wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:28 am Easy to remove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd2Op5VpUrg

Possibly take a bit longer on a moggie wheel.
Agreed. I think many of these things can be overcome, but the question is who's got the nerve to sit in a public place sawing through a steering wheel?
it's the deterrence factor more than anything else.
Basil the 1955 series II

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

A lowlife will always chance getting caught, after all what's the consequences. Maybe a caution? We can only rely on these types being too lazy to overcome some devices.