Transporting Minor by trailer to National Rally.

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
BRLSM
MMOC Member: No

Transporting Minor by trailer to National Rally.

Post by BRLSM »

Hi,

This is the first time I going a MMOC national rally and unfortunately my 1965 Traveller is having some minor reliability issues so to be on the safe side id rather trailer it in to the event. The only thing is that no matter where I look, whether its the national rally advert in minor matters, application form or MMOC website/ forum, I just cannot find any information with regards to bringing your Morris Minor to the rally on a trailer. As a result I don't know how to fill in the application form correctly.

So my question is, do I just fill in the details of my Traveller on the form without mentioning my tow vehicle and trailer? But if i have to register the towing vehicle as well does this mean I will have to pay for the 2 vehicles even though I only want the minor in the rally and the other is purely to transport my Traveller to the rally?

Some clarification on that would be much appreciated and I am a bit surprised there isn't information on this already as Surely I am not the only owner who is going to be bringing their classic on a trailer or car transporter?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Transporting Minor by trailer to National Rally.

Post by bmcecosse »

What a 'cheat' to take it on a trailer ! Fix the 'reliability' problem! It can't be difficult. What's the problem ?
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Head office should give you a definitive answer, that way you will be sure. However if it's unreliable, what's the point in bringing it? Just bring yourself and enjoy!

The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

Fix it
Any unreliable minor can't have much wrong with it.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

As others have said, what's the unreliability issue that you've got - plenty of advice on hear should allow you to fix it. If time or other issues mean that you must trailer it, then enter the Minor for the rally - even if it's not running, it will still be another car on site to add to the spectacle. It's not unknown to fix fairly major problems on the field, so you might get some help to sort the problem.

Once you arrive, the Minor will be parked with other Minors whilst your trailer and tow car will not be entering, simply parked in the "modern" car park.

So, what is the problem with the Minor, let's see if we can get it fixed.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

It was bad enough seeing that traveller being towed by an A35, now we're in danger of seeing one being trailered! :D

midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Oh dear, am I about to be blackballed from here then, as we too are trailering our Mog to my first National?
Nothing to do with reliability, but as I have a motorhome with a towbar, it was always the plan to attend with that, as too old to start camping again--much as we enjoyed it in the past.
Yes, after difficult contact with organisers, we have had to book 2 pitches in the campsite to accommodate it all.
I did plan to take it off trailer about 20 mile from site, and drive in seperatly. Is this not acceptable???
John
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

No of course not! I think it's just that as "Minor enthusiasts" we all like to see as many Minors trundling into the rally under their own steam - especially the ones we've followed on here that have been restored from rusty shells.

Everyone is welcome. Trailer it or drive it - just bring it! :D

This is the first National Rally I've missed in the last 13 years - due to family commitments :cry:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

les wrote:It was bad enough seeing that traveller being towed by an A35, now we're in danger of seeing one being trailered! :D
Yeah, that was pretty embarrassing :wink:

BRLSM, are you talking about the same reliability issues that keep coming up? Or a general unreliability where everything keeps breaking?
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

would just like to add i have had my car for 8 years driven every day and thousands of miles, motor ways b roads whatever rain and snow and sun
and has only let me down once with a dodgy petrol pump
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

Aupickup, did you initially do a lot of work when you got the car or was it reliable from the start?
BRLSM

Post by BRLSM »

Too cut a long story short I have owned it for nearly 4 years now and it was my first car... Unfortunately somewhere in its life it has been owned by a bodge artists and since I have owned I have been repairing bodges between everyday use. But its reliability has been getting better since I started with it and this is the first problem that has stopped it running since it failed its mot last year. Basically my brakes are dragging heavily and after jacking up each wheel individually today I found that the left front is the culprit. I didn't try to take the drum off to see whats going on as I only had a bottle jack to hold the front up which is substantial enough for changing the wheel, but not stable enough for wrestling with a jammed brake drum. At the same time I have also picked up an electrical fault with it where the tail lights and dash light don't illuminate on sidelights, but when you put it on to dipped beam, the dash light comes on and the sidelights go out with the tail lights sometimes coming on so got that on top of the brake problem.

Because of my job its not likely I am going to be getting the time to get the problems fixed before the rally and even if I did, I wouldn't want to risk the brake jamming on again over the distance and high speeds of the route I will have to take without having the time to do some trial runs before hand. But saying that if I trailer my Traveller in, afterwards I will be able to trailer it to a better place for doing the work than on my driveway.
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

did nothing really just the normal checked brakes, oil checks front suspension greased
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

i have done in excess of 60000 miles in it
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

and still on its original floors
but it is showing signs of every day use now
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

aupickup wrote:would just like to add i have had my car for 8 years driven every day and thousands of miles, motor ways b roads whatever rain and snow and sun
and has only let me down once with a dodgy petrol pump
I doubt yours knows what a trailer is then! :D

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

only when the petrol pump went
and lke your pick up les :P
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

BRLSM, I understand why you need to trailer, so let's leave that aside and look at what you need to fix.

Front brake. Buy two wheel cylinders (remember, they are handed, one sort for the left, one for the right; two cylinders in each wheel). One, possibly both of your cylinders have seized. Buy the "genuine" parts, not pattern. More expensive, but worth it. You might as well service the brakes properly, so fit new shoes and return springs at the same time - fit shoes as a set of 4, 2 per side.

Electrics sounds like some dodgy wiring and/or a faulty switch (switch usually very reliable, so unlikely to be faulty). Check the earth connection on all lights. Check the wiring behind the dashboard and make sure that all connectors are tight, and on the correct terminals. Good luck.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I really can't see the point of taking a non-runner to the rally....... :( The Motorhome is fine - but yes, drive it in sounds a lot better idea than just unloading a 'trailer Queen'...
ImageImage
Oddball67
Minor Friendly

Post by Oddball67 »

Comments like, 'What a Cheat' and 'Really can't see the point of taking a non-runner' insures the MMOC are really a bunch of Old Fa-ts.

Here we have an enthusiast who wants to go, look at other minors, enjoy the rally/event, mix with other like minded enthusiasts and maybe purchase a thing or two and yet this thread has so many negative comments,

I appreciate there is some supportive comments of helping the person, but lets back off with the negativity and accept that they're going to attend. trailered or not and enjoy there company.

Finances pay a big part in repairing these vehicles are we're also presuming there is no issue.
In the meantime if we can help lets do it.