Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tysonn
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Full width traveller rear door

Post by tysonn »

JDA 28K just been advertised in the for sale section has a full width rear door.Neverr
seen this before.
Mick
busguy
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Full width traveller rear door

Post by busguy »

Interesting modification.
It must put a fair bit of extra stress on the hinge mounting pillar compared to a single door, and if the wind caught it when open, it might give you a hefty clout and send you into the front seats!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Can't see an advantage myself - and as above - some considerable disadvantages !
ImageImage
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

The advantage is a full width rear screen which improves visibility, allows simple fitting of a stick on heater, and also allows for the installation of a wide sweep rear wiper (not seen on the car in question). It's a mod that I looked at, but my plan was two half doors at the bottom, hinged conventionally, and a single top piece that hinged upwards like a hatchback. I never proceeded as I could not find suitable hinges/mounting. I agree that the whole door on two standard hinges is likely to lead to distortion.
AnnaLydon

Post by AnnaLydon »

To clarify the main reasoning behind the door - my father worked for Guide Dogs, and used the car to transport the dogs to and from various locations and found this door to be the best and most workable option for him over the 13 years he used it. The moggy was/is a working one and the design was purely for practical reasons and suited his purpose, and was carried out and I believe designed by Charles Wares.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I believe that I have seen this Traveller at a rally near Farnham some years ago
[sig]3580[/sig]
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Back doors are pretty light. I wouldn't hesitate hanging a double sized door on a piece of ash the size of the rear pillar. Should be well up to it assuming its sound.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

Didn't the Minx based Hillman Husky (And Commer Cob Van?) have one piece side hinged doors ? - Though they had metal pillars, there might be some Minor vans with one piece doors too - The Dutch built version I think had those as an option.
AnnaLydon

Post by AnnaLydon »

mike.perry wrote:I believe that I have seen this Traveller at a rally near Farnham some years ago
I'm more than sure you did! It was a frequent flyer at a lot of the rallies in the South until a year or two ago.