Fitment of aftermarket panels,really frustrating!!

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rumpelstiltkin
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Fitment of aftermarket panels,really frustrating!!

Post by rumpelstiltkin »

So frustrating when you rip parts out,prepare surfaces then prepare to offer up your new part and you get this!
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb19 ... 142555.jpg
Got it from gs jones,pretty home made looking and just not measured properly.You've just got to stop and thats it,waste of a day off.
Doesn't meet the horizontal bar coming across as it should,and ofcourse lights,door hinge wont fit!!
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Re: Fitment of aftermarket panels,really frustrating!!

Post by aupickup »

probably the reason i would not buy a moggie that needs restoring
rumpelstiltkin
Minor Friendly

Post by rumpelstiltkin »

Well thats cleared that up then!
FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

is that a UK made panel?

I found UK made panels fit quite well or need very minor adjusting!

rumpelstiltkin
Minor Friendly

Post by rumpelstiltkin »

Im all for making adjustments,but these rear post brackets are just off everywhere.Ive even ordered another one from another company,its closer as in overall width etc,but its about 7,8mm too high as well,putting the cut outs for the lights etc way off,is there something im missing??
The second one at least had holes pre-drilled for the door hinge bolts but as i said,they're going to be way higher too.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

You'll find that quite normal, it's a disgrace the lack of workmanship shown by many manufacturers. I've often had to struggle to get a good fit and even had to make some bits because of this. I won't be going through it all again! Hope you get round it.

rumpelstiltkin
Minor Friendly

Post by rumpelstiltkin »

Im quite a resourceful person so i will indeed get around it.Me and my little trusty mig welder and toolbox have overcome a lot worse than this.In a perverted sort of way im enjoying all the hassle,keeps me on my toes,well on my knees covered in rusty dust!!
I think as far as fitment of things and alignment of the wood etc there's going to be a fair bit of 'winging it' going on!All the confidence the predrilled holes gave me to line up door hinges etc has gone!!Eek!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Enjoying the hassle ? Well buy more repair panels then! I can't remember the last time I enjoyed hassle, despite having had plenty of it! :o

rumpelstiltkin
Minor Friendly

Post by rumpelstiltkin »

Will do.My woods ordered and i have a door bottom repair to do.Hopefully the door panels will be remotely Ford Sierra shaped in some way.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Having just had to reshape a new traveller inner wing to fit a new boot floor I share your frustration, but are you sure that the holes you are lining up to were original and correct? My original boot floor had been butchered in a previous restoration and the corner bracket, the one you are currently bemoaning, altered to fit the resulting mess.

Mark
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

I've had to cut and shut those panels to make them the right height too. I try and repair the originals if possible these days.
Basic general rule with travellers, is get new wood and make the car fit the wood. The wood tends to be right whereas the metal can be anywhere... Also the metal is easier to adjust than a pre assembled wood frame :)
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
rumpelstiltkin
Minor Friendly

Post by rumpelstiltkin »

I think a couple of cut and shuts are in order with these panels! ;-)I'm pretty sure it's the original brackets on the car,you just know when things are original(original spot welds present attaching bracket to boot cross bar)
That is a thought that definetly occured to me a few days into welding the car,oh i wish the frame was here for this,wish the frame was here for that!
Im going to cut and shut them and match them to the original ones.Thanks for the replies.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Iain is absolutely right about fitting the metal to the wood. I've been trial fitting my wood for the last couple of weeks and my minor adjustments have included realigning one rear spring hanger with the aid of a large trolley jack! From where you are now I'd do nothing which fixes the shape, until you have the frames to line up to.
rumpelstiltkin
Minor Friendly

Post by rumpelstiltkin »

Been in touch with Steve Foreman and he says he's never had bother with the ones he fits?I sent him pics and he says they're 'way' off
I've tried contacting esm and gs jones to return the items i have purchased from them but they're not interested.No replies to emails etc.
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

Where does Steve Foreman get his ones from?
rumpelstiltkin
Minor Friendly

Post by rumpelstiltkin »

Good question!I've got no idea where he gets the ones he sells.Ones from gs jones were the worst,no pre drilled holes for hinge,screws and bigger than original all round.
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

It does not look like an overly complicated panel, have you considered making one yourself? 20 or even 18 gauge steel can quite easily be shaped with the aid of a vice and a couple lengths of angle iron.

Just a thought
Rod
rumpelstiltkin
Minor Friendly

Post by rumpelstiltkin »

I dare say i could make them myself but this is my first Minor and thought panel fitment was going to be the least of my problems,so just bought ones so i thought door hinge holes etc could be depended on but no.I actuall have a pic here of three brackets together,a gs jones one,an esm one and an original one off the car,they are all different!!!http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb19 ... 181507.jpg
Last edited by rumpelstiltkin on Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

That's surprising how far out they are. What on earth (or maybe not) is the starting point from which these panels are made. :o
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well it's like this, someone wheeled in a ford Anglia and told them it was a Morris. :roll: