Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dudload
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Traveller Cover

Post by dudload »

morning all!

I'm a brand new morris minor owner and am excitedly waiting on picking up my traveller from Charles Ware in a couple of weeks time (we took it off someones hands as we saw it rusting in the street in London a year ago and have only just scraped the cash to have all the works done) and my mind has turned to how to protect the brand new woodwork.

I've read a few threads on here for the stormforce covers and the reviews seem mixed. Given that they are quite expensive, i noticed that one gent recommended the Halfords cover, which was much cheaper but was fully waterproof.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of using them, and what size would suit the traveller best?

Halfords Advanced Car Cover Size Guide

Item Code Cover Size Size cm (L x W x H)
327277 S 382 x 154 x 119
327285 M 410 x 154 x 122
327293 L 460 x 154 x 119
327301 XL 520 x 154 x 122
337177 XL XT 550 x 198 x 152

Regards,

Jonathan
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Traveller Cover

Post by bmcecosse »

A Traveller with new wood needs to be kept in a dry garage - not under a cover......
ImageImage
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

I'd really love to keep it in a garage, but i live in central london in a terraced house with only on street parking. I'm aware it's not ideal, but want to take as much care of the car as i can..
meh
Minor Friendly

Post by meh »

The Halfords cover is excellent, however the rear corners on the traveller are quite sharp and will rip through the soft cover unless protected also the covers are not tailored to suit estates
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

You also may want to consider security for on street parking.
London is a hotbed for nicked classics.
Start with a 42cm Disklock,£100.00, buy a window etching kit, £25.00 and etch your number plate on the windows, if Charles Ware have not already done it fit a secret switch,£peanuts, even a wheel clamp is not overkill, fit it to the rear wheels if you can back against a wall or static vehicle, fit to the front wheels if the rear of the car is left exposed and the front against a solid object, this deters towers.
Take a look at the stolen section on this website, the great majority of stolen vehicles had little or no security attached and the great majority are never seen again.
Your insurer may reduce the premium if you inform them of the measures you have taken.
Its worth your powder and shot and will reduce sleepless nights.
Where angels fear to tread
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

many thanks moggie and meh!

Meh - thanks for the tip on the sides of the traveller. What size would you recommend on the Halfords ones (i think i'll give it a try!) - i was thinking medium given the stated dimensions

moggie - a large size disklok is already winging it's way to me and i'm having an ignition breaker fitted as part of the refurb. good tip on the window etching and clamp though, will have a look this evening.
meh
Minor Friendly

Post by meh »

Not got one for my traveller but use the Halfords own medium brand on my mgb which is a good fit
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Also consider that the police are not keen on cars being covered when parked in the street. The registration number at least has to be visible :wink:
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

If you do go for the Halfords cover, it's the medium one that fits a traveller, despite the fact that according to the measurements the small one ought to. You can guess how I know!!
Andy W
Minor Fan

Post by Andy W »

I use the Halfords cover & find it very good.

It is true that care is needed not to let the rear guttering corners tear the soft material.

I bought it because it is breathable, & I have found it does not trap a damp atmosphere in it.

Andy.
"We're on the road to anywhere, with never a heartache & never a care!"

www.retronicsonline.com
Giving vintage a touch of the modern.
EwenCameron
Minor Fan

Post by EwenCameron »

I have a stormforce cover for my Series II saloon and it was great until the neighbours cat starting using as a scratching post. Was £125
I have bought the small Halfords cover for my Lowlight saloon and it is a good fit and for less than half the price of the stormforce. £50.

warb21
Minor Fan

Post by warb21 »

I've had a Stormforce cover for nearly two years now and it's been fine. Try not to leave it sitting under hot sun after heavy rain though, as mine (through my own fault) caused a couple of small blotches on the roof paintwork when the midday sun shone through and heated up some water sitting between the roof and the cover which I hadn't wiped down first.
But C Ware's MMC removed them f.o.c. with a mechanical buffing thing when I was getting an oil spray done. Can you tell I'm not technical ;-)
Also when discussing security on cars don't forget this forum is open to the big wide world to view, so don't give away too many details that could jigsaw-identify you or your car.
Good luck with your Traveller! Buying mine was the best thing I ever did.
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

many thanks all! in that case i reckon i'll give the halfords one a try first in medium size. i currently have a pitched battle going with cats in my back garden (trying to kill the local birds), so the scratching post could be an issue for me too!