Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mad-4-moggywhite-1
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Oil bath air filter

Post by mad-4-moggywhite-1 »

Hi

I have a question about our early 1957 Morris Minor. It has an oil bath air filter rather than the more common paper type filter. Can anyone tell us why this particular type was fitted.

Many thanks

Maddie.
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Oil bath air filter

Post by SteveClem »

It's just what they used in those days. Easy to swap to a later type if you're not bothered about originality.
mad-4-moggywhite-1
Minor Fan

Hi steveclem

Ok but my husband says he thought that both were used in those days so wondered why one would be chosen over the other or is he incorrect that paper ones were also used? at that time?
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I'm really not sure,but someone on here will know! My 1955 AustinA30 came with an oil bath filter (and an awful zenith carburettor!) but my 1961 minor saloon has a conventional filter and su carb. I've converted the Austin now and it runs much better,mainly due to the carburettor change I suspect.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

The oil bath was used until about 1959, I had a 57 with it for a while.

Too many Minors so little time.....
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

I think the oil bath type is earlier and the paper ones came along in the fifties when it became possible to make them cheaply enough to be disposable as they can't be cleaned. Perhaps a growing acceptance of the 'throwaway society' had something to do with it as well. The two types were available as buyers in some export markets preferred oil baths, perhaps in dusty environments.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The Series MM export cars were fitted with an oil bath air filter, the home market cars were fitted with a gauze filled air silencer
[sig]3580[/sig]
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I knew that someone would know!
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

Just for the record, oil bath filters are still used in some vacuum applications, but not very popular.
As filter elements, pleated or otherwise, have improved the need for oil bath types for particulate removal has diminished somewhat.
Modern elements are now available down to sub micron levels without too much affect on the flow or volume pushed through them, as long as there is sufficient surface area, particularly with media like carbon activated inners that remove sub micron particles and gases or vapours.
So endeth the diatribe. :roll:
Where angels fear to tread
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

As for Minors, Series MMs had a metal gauze filter (unless export, then a superior oil bath was fitted) Series 2s to 1956 haad a different shape gauze filter (again unless export) but when the Minor 1000s were introduced for the 57 season a much larger superior oil bath was fitted as standard, the only drawback of which was that you have to remove it to take the rocker cover off. This lasted till 59 when the saucepan shaped paper filter was fitted. Presumably paper filter technology had developed that much that it became a viable (and much cheaper) alternative. This was redesigned for the 1098 cars to point the inlet at the manifold for quick warming in winter.
I think that covers it, but feel free to spot any errors!
Other than the export models, the early 1000 oil bath filter was used for the briefest time, though its a nice well made quality device.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
mad-4-moggywhite-1
Minor Fan

Hello IaininTenbury

Well thank you very much for such a comprehensive reply. I find what you have shared with me very interesting and exactly the answer I was seeking regarding the oil filter that we have in our Tilley.

I thought you may be interested to know about our carburettor. The previous owner of our car told us that we have an H2 type, unfortunately she was unaware of this when she needed to replace it and she purchased the more readily available H2S, on realising her mistake she then had to source the correct type which she then duly installed and was just informing us of this for future reference. Apparently the H2 type is difficult to get hold of.

ps thanks to all other members for your replies.

I am going to tell a funny story in "Off Topic" tomorrow....tune in after Church. sorry thats about, by the time I'm home again, roughly 1.30pm.
:P
Ciao! ( I'm learning Italian)
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I'm sure either would be better than a zenith carb!
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

I could have complicated it by mentioning that some UK vehicles had export type oil bath filters such as Series 2 GPO vans, but decided not to..... :)
Good point about the different carbs. I think there's 4 different SUs used on Minors :)

As for A30s, I've got one still with its Zenith, which I can't get to run right. Seems like a blocked jet despite much cleaning out etc. Tempted to change to SU set up but not sure if I can be bothered as I'm not planning to keep it. But it needs to be running to MOT it and sell it. We'll see... :-?
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I hate Zeniths
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

IaininTenbury wrote: I think there's 4 different SUs used on Minors :)
Series MM SU H1 1.1/8
Series II SU H1 1 1.1/8
948 SU H2 1.1/4, HS2 1.1/4
1098 SU HS2 1.1/4

Only 3 SUs fitted as standard according to my Reference Catalogue
[sig]3580[/sig]
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Fair enough. couldn't remember offhand wether there was a differeance between the MM and Series 2 carbs. Ta for clarifying :)
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Series MM is H1 horizontal, S11 is semi downdraught
[sig]3580[/sig]
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

panky wrote:I hate Zeniths
Me too! Transformed the Austin when the su went on.
alloriginal1owner
Minor Friendly

Post by alloriginal1owner »

Instead of opening a new thread: During restoration of my Milly I dismantled the air cleaner last year and stored it for a while. Unfortunately the wing stud seems to got lost in that time. I can't find a spare part in any shop on the internet. Please, has anybody got an idea where to find one?

Thanks,

Frank
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-15 um 00.05.41.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-15 um 00.05.41.png (57.03 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
Milly: 1957 four-door-saloon, 948cc. Moved to Hamburg 2008, off the road 2012, finally back May 2021.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If you cannot find a factory original just cut a piece of studding to length and solder a butterfly nut onto the top threads.