Re-registering a 6 chr number plate?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Re-registering a 6 chr number plate?

Post by IaininTenbury »

Well said - wise precautions to take...
The resale value of the car will be less without its orig plate but obviously not a problem. Folk do say it makes not one difference, its still the same car but a lot of enthusiasts regard it as part of its history...

I'd be tempted with a personal plate on the 'modern' Land Rover but only to make it look a bit more respectable and hide its age, though I don't loose much sleep over it tbh! Chances of finding one with my initials or name are pretty slim though with an I in it... Made up for this with my son (4yr old) and made sure his name matches the letters on a plate I already have on a Minor. He'll probably not be bothered about cars and numberplates in the slightest but if he is I've saved him a fortune! :lol:
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Wow, that's got to be a first, naming a child after a number plate. Hope he likes the name! :D

busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

IaininTenbury wrote:Well said - wise precautions to take...
The resale value of the car will be less without its orig plate but obviously not a problem. Folk do say it makes not one difference, its still the same car but a lot of enthusiasts regard it as part of its history...

I'd be tempted with a personal plate on the 'modern' Land Rover but only to make it look a bit more respectable and hide its age, though I don't loose much sleep over it tbh! Chances of finding one with my initials or name are pretty slim though with an I in it... Made up for this with my son (4yr old) and made sure his name matches the letters on a plate I already have on a Minor. He'll probably not be bothered about cars and numberplates in the slightest but if he is I've saved him a fortune! :lol:
:lol: 8) Love it!
panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by panky »

Yes but he's got to go through life being called XYD :o
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

panky wrote:Yes but he's got to go through life being called XYD :o
Did Johnny Cash have a Morris Minor?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes with reg---SUE
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

I just happen to get annoyed with all those old cars now going around with things like UXM or whatever letter combinations that they would not (normally) have had, also somewhat annoyed with my father for not transferring the old regs we had on (none morris) cars of the past that fell apart/ damaged onto more new cars as they came in. I still have most of the plates for cars that have gone! I might have logbooks for the Austin A35 that got stolen, but no idea where it went, the rest were mostly assorted Nortons, Hillmans/Commers, Fords, Vauxhalls. The Minors I sold on were much older dates out of factory. The most recent sale was Dad's Puch Scooter, what the buyer did with that is up to them, I did not have capability or time or space to do any other kind of justice to it.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Ah yes, but bear in mind if your dad had transferred those registations there would be more cars with uxm etc numbers around! :D

whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

les wrote:Ah yes, but bear in mind if your dad had transferred those registations there would be more cars with uxm etc numbers around! :D
Only if they hadn't got cubed first , in the days before we started actually manging to get older cars rebuilt and used daily. The one that got away was I think U9222 (or something like that) which wasnt ours but a MO Morris Oxford in a scrapyard down the road, I think the yard owner sold the reg number, and it was a bit too rusted to easily put back into use, and we had no space, If I had seen it now I might attempt it.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Oh well, spared you seeing more uxm's. :D

IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

panky wrote:Yes but he's got to go through life being called XYD :o
Xavier? He'll get used to it.

Daughter's initials are SAM but if I had that on a plate, I may be tempted to sell it for lots of money.... :)
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

An alternative spelling for Sid :)
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

Wife's present initials appeared a few years ago on a whole load of East London Double Deck Buses, always said I would buy one for her.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I'd have nowhere to keep a bus!
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

whyperion wrote:
les wrote:Ah yes, but bear in mind if your dad had transferred those registations there would be more cars with uxm etc numbers around! :D
Only if they hadn't got cubed first , in the days before we started actually manging to get older cars rebuilt and used daily. The one that got away was I think U9222 (or something like that) which wasnt ours but a MO Morris Oxford in a scrapyard down the road, I think the yard owner sold the reg number, and it was a bit too rusted to easily put back into use, and we had no space, If I had seen it now I might attempt it.
That would have been an approx 1958 Morris, so number issued that year was 9222 U. U 9222 was issued 1920/1.