Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Old shape
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re-registering a 6 chr number plate?

Post by Old shape »

Gentlemen (And Ladies!)
My good lady has seen a Minor, but.......and I know this forum will now cringe.......she wants the number plate only. It is a running vehicle with 11 months MoT. Her grand idea is to keep the plate and immediately sell the car on for face value. To which I said that without the original number plate it's face value will be £300 or so.
Car is presently up for more than £5,000.
It is a 3 number 3 chr plate. When these are re-registered, how does the MoT register it? With an awful Q plate thus rendering the car almost worthless?
graham1957
Minor Fan

Re: Re-registering a 6 chr number plate?

Post by graham1957 »

i think they would give it an age related plate, usually with" x" in it or a unused scottish plate with "s" in it, "q" usually gets issued if the car is made up from various other cars parts eg a kit car
[sig]8872[/sig]
Old shape
Minor Friendly

Post by Old shape »

Thanks. It would still make the car pretty worthless?
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

That old chestnut blame it on the wife :lol: :lol:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The number plate itself is certainly not going to be worth anything like £5000 - unless it is a VERY special character combination. A Minor with good MOT and reasonable condition is surely worth anything from £1500/2000 upwards - depending entirely on the condition. I suggest your car with the amazing number plate is way over priced.... Don't be suckered... Let's see some pictures of the car - or a link to the For Sale site !
ImageImage
Old shape
Minor Friendly

Post by Old shape »

The pictures show nothing. It's on a local cars for sale site. Claims original interior, but the (Phone) photos only show the front seats.....different colours!
Claims recent respray. 11 months MoT.
To the wife, the plate is perhaps worth £3000 to £4000 , judging by similar on *plates4less* etc. So we would look to sell the car on for the balance to the asking price of £5,000. I'm an "Old car" enthusiast and not looking to rip off other enthusiasts, however don't want to lose a shedful.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The prices quoted for number plates on these sites are total 'rip-offs' - only complete mugs buy at anything like that price. Let us see the pictures and we can give an idea of the worth of the car.
ImageImage
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Sounds like a lead up to one of those things you see featured on the TV's "Watchdog" program...

A "potential death trap"....there again, everything is if the safety test involves covering a toy in petrol and putting a flame to it....
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Old shape
Minor Friendly

Post by Old shape »

Like I said, images tell very little.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

If you're an old car enthusiast why not use it for a while, get your monies worth out of it then, if you must, transfer the plate. What you eventually get for the car would then be a bonus.

Old shape
Minor Friendly

Post by Old shape »

..............was toying with that idea, but I work away too much now......and when I'm home it's kids time not meddling with cars anymore. Had a Minor back in 76, only for 3 months though. No, her majesty wants that plate, and if the car can be sold on for the difference all is good.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I found private plates a complete pain in the a.se and convinced my wife to give up the idea 20 odd years ago. I believe they may be a bit easier to transfer these days. Shame to rob a car of its identity though, my old saloon had 'FD' in its original reg number. Last I heard it was on a flash sports car being driven by a Finance Director.
Old shape
Minor Friendly

Post by Old shape »

SteveClem wrote:I found private plates a complete pain in the a.se and convinced my wife to give up the idea 20 odd years ago. I believe they may be a bit easier to transfer these days. Shame to rob a car of its identity though, my old saloon had 'FD' in its original reg number. Last I heard it was on a flash sports car being driven by a Finance Director.
No it's not too hard. Think it costs about £85 on top of the asking price. And I agree it's a shame to take it off a running car. But she's been looking 3 years and wanted one for 25!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Let the kids play with it while you're away! Good learning curve.-------go on now tell me they're in nappies! :D

Longdog
Minor Fan

Post by Longdog »

I don't get "Vanity plates" as Frasier Crane calls them, I guess I'm not into one upmanship so why would I? Probably more sensible to put the 5K into a decent car and leave the poor old mog with it's original identity.
[sig]6530[/sig]
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

What makes the reg so special ??
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

Sounds overpriced to me. You can pick up good three letters - two numbers registrations for £1500/1750, ***44 being one.
What letters are on this plate that makes it so special?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I would only value the car for what it's worth - don't put any value on the plate. Looking at the pics - with that interior, and no 'underneath' pictures which are the ones that matter - it's not worth anything like £5000. Why are you so secretive about the Reg number??? Normal 3/3 reg numbers are readily on sale for £500/700 - so unless this is MUM 666 or similar....I really don't see the 'special value'.
Last edited by bmcecosse on Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

When I sold my 55 back in 1986 I was gutted when I saw that the buyer had sold the plate. I don't understand the appeal of a personalized plate, unless you are allocated at random for free and it has significance. I knew someone who got their initials by chance!

My last car, a Celica GT-Four cost less than a vanity plate and had supercar perfromance. Spend money on a good car, not a plate IMHO
Good home offered for custom splittie
leafie

Post by leafie »

If the plate is worth £3-4k to your wife then offer that for the car, then put the car in a classic car auction and any money back is a bonus. If they still won't move on price pay if your happy to and any money back at auction will get you back towards your £3-4k hopefully your wife gets what she wants and somebody gets a minor at the right price.