Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Richard Leslie
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Log Book anomaly

Post by Richard Leslie »

A query Gentlemen and Ladies.

I recently purchased an MM with absolutely loads of documented history but one thing stood out , an anomaly with the Date of Manufacture -V- the Date of Registration. The Data Plate indicates 1957 but the Registration Document states 1964.

I queried this with the DVLA and was informed the only way to solve the issue was for one of the following to be supplied to them:

An extract from the manufactures / Factory record.
An extract from the appropriate Glass's Check Book.
A stamped certified copy of a factory record from the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust.

I have no idea where to get an answer from one of the above, can anyone help.

Rick 75075
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Log Book anomaly

Post by liammonty »

As a starting point, there are several differences between a 1957 car and a 1964 car, so assuming the car is one or the other, it ought to be possible to date, roughly at least. People more knowledgable than me on the location of body numbers on cars of particular dates will be able to tell you where you may be able to find body numbers in addition to the easily removed chassis plate on the bulkhead, which i suspect will be the best way forward.
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

Could have been imported back into the UK after being supplied new to Jersey, Malta, Ireland, etc. Could have been an ex-government vehicle, eg military support, overseas use, and registered for road use when sold off back here.
Body number info will support (or not) the chassis number carried, as will features of the vehicle specification.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

It's easy to get a certificate from the BMIHT at Gaydon, just quote the "chassis" number and pay the fee. There are valid reasons for a gap between build and registration dates. However, as a first step, if you post some pictures of the car to include exterior view, front seats and dashboard, open boot and engine bay, then we can tell you what we think the car is; and you can comapre that with the paperwork that you have.

Hopefully everything will tie up and there is a valid explanation. If there are any variations then the Club can assist, assuming that you are a member. In all probability all will be in order.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

If the bodyshell code begins "Z3" & the chassis plate is oval, it's 1964.

Need to figure out what year it is prior to applying for BMIHT HC.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Hope you didn't buy the car that was featured extensively on here very recently as being very obviously 'wrong' in a number of ways..... ???? Does it have 'clap hands' wipers ?
Edit - Pheww - it was a saloon - certainly looks like a very nice car, with some later upgrades all in the Minor style.
Last edited by bmcecosse on Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Richard Leslie
Minor Friendly

Post by Richard Leslie »

The data plate number in the engine compartment is FCU11 / 559414 ( photos attached )

The car registration is now 781 XUX but was XUO 354 at build. The number plate was sold on as a cherished number
by a dealer in July 2010.

The car has Trafficators but they are non operational.

Thanks for the help so far.............[frame]Image[/frame]
Richard Leslie
Minor Friendly

Post by Richard Leslie »

[frame]Image[/frame]
Richard Leslie
Minor Friendly

Post by Richard Leslie »

[frame]Image[/frame]
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Can you pm body number please?

Thanks
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Looks like a possible "transitional" car - clap hands wipers, duotone seats, banjo steering wheel, glove box lids, trafficators but later indicators (retro fit?), later heater and speedo, early pull switches. That, plus the lack of suffix letter on the original number plate, all suggests around 1962-3. Of course, over the years, a number of modifcations could easily have been made. Looks like a nice car.
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

The original reg number of the car XUO *** was issued in 1957, which looks to stack up with the chassis plate number. Body numbers will confirm if the body shell was from the same period.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

simmitc wrote:Looks like a possible "transitional" car - clap hands wipers, duotone seats, banjo steering wheel, glove box lids, trafficators but later indicators (retro fit?), later heater and speedo, early pull switches. That, plus the lack of suffix letter on the original number plate, all suggests around 1962-3. Of course, over the years, a number of modifcations could easily have been made. Looks like a nice car.
Sorry, I disagree. Transitional cars didn't have glovebox lids, nor did they have trafficators, which were deleted in '61, I think. That is almost definitely an earlier car (i.e. no later than 59, around when the glovebox lids were deleted). The heater, speedo and seats etc are indeed later (though 'transitional' cars had the gold speedo) but these will have likely been replaced or upgraded. The indicator stalk tallies with an earlier Minor 1000, too. Hopefully all will tie in with the date of 1957 - it looks as though it's of that era to me.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The chassis number - both the number itself AND the style of chassis plate - would also rule out a "transitional model".
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

Did it start life as a saloon or a convertible?
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I can accept the point of view that it can be an earlier car, but my first Minor had exactly the same gloveboxes, switches and speedo; but with the early heater. It also had the early boot stay, semaphores and a 948cc engine. The chassis plate was the oblong "modern" style. It had a build date of 1962 and was registered in 1963. I can't check the numbers as it long ago went to the scrappy, but it underlines the point that there was probably a lot of "using up bits" in the factory around that time.
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

whyperion wrote:Did it start life as a saloon or a convertible?
Chassis number designation indicates it is an original factory built convertible, but the body number is needed to confirm that the chassis plate code/number/build date matches the body shell build details.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

simmitc wrote:I can accept the point of view that it can be an earlier car, but my first Minor had exactly the same gloveboxes, switches and speedo; but with the early heater. It also had the early boot stay, semaphores and a 948cc engine. The chassis plate was the oblong "modern" style. It had a build date of 1962 and was registered in 1963. I can't check the numbers as it long ago went to the scrappy, but it underlines the point that there was probably a lot of "using up bits" in the factory around that time.
There were many small changes in specification during the early 1960s but during 1962/63 (for example) roughly 100,000 Minors were produced so don't imagine that the factory was building cars by searching around for random parts and "using up bits in the factory" . Once an update was decided upon, that was pretty much it. If your old 1962 Minor had deviations from the build specification such as glovebox lids of a type deleted in early 1959 and a speedometer not in use until late 1964 then it simply underlines the fact that owners have always modified their cars. I have a very similar late 1950s Minor convertible. Mine has had the heater changed as well as the speedo and quite a lot else as well during nearly 60 years of use!
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

The 2 bottom screws - attaching vin plate to b/head - look different to the top 2 - probably me being a teeny bit picky or visually challenged(?).
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I'm amazed by the knowledge that you chaps have,and your attention to detail, but in my view the most important thing is to find and drive a well sorted,kosher,car! These are pretty ancient machines now and I think we have to accept that their family trees might have got a bit confused...