Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stag36587
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Success at last

Post by stag36587 »

After 22 years off the road and 9 in my ownership I am delighted (and a bit shocked to be honest) to report that my minor passed its MOT first time today :D One advisory - slight drag from front offside brake.

The car has had to be more or less rebuilt from the transmission tunnel outwards and I had to learn from scratch. What a steep learning curve - I made loads of mistakes and often re-did repairs that I didn't think we're good enough. And the car has fought me most of the way. Even today, an hour before the MOT, the indicators decided to play up and then I noticed that the Speedo wasn't working :evil: Fortunately a spare - though filthy - speedo was found in a box of spares that had come with the car originally and I spent 20mins swapping everything over.

Even now that it has passed the MOT, there is still a lot to do - mainly improving paint finish. Oh, and the fuel gauge isn't reading anything. I suspect (new) sender or wire issue as it wasn't working on either speedo.

The trip to the MOT station was first time I have ever driven a moggy beyond 2nd gear. I quite enjoyed it though the brakes really do need a heavy shove. I'm assuming this will improve as the brake shoes bed in but tempted to fit a servo to save my ageing knees. I also was crunching the gears a couple of times between 2nd and 3rd - probably just need to get used to it.

Finally I want to say a huge thanks to many members on here who have given great advice and help - I'm really grateful!

Here's a couple of before (as found) and after pictures[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
]
panky
Minor Legend

Re: Success at last

Post by panky »

Excellent :D
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Wonderful news, well done.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Good good. Well done on the pass. I cant wait till i get to this point of my build. Iv also never driven a moggy, apart from into the workshop to strip it down. All the best and happy minoring. Steve
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Great success. Very well done indeed - you must be very proud of all your hard work - now get out and enjoy! :D
ImageImage
viewsonic1
Minor Fan

Post by viewsonic1 »

As above. It makes you proud to be British.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Well done!!!! It makes all the hard work worth it doesnt it, get out there and drive it now and you will soon get used to the brakes and gearbox :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Many congratulations on your achievement.
You have learnt an awful lot about your Moggie specifically ( and classic cars in general ) along the way.
You're now entitled to feel smug for several years after all the hard work that you have put in. It will be some years
before that silly grin ( of pride ) wears off. When people ask which garage repaired / restored things for you , you will have
the perfect response. " I did it ".
Bob
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Well done, makes me feel better about the five years I've spent on mine! Are you going to put together a resto thread?

Mark
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Thanks for your good wishes everyone. Mark Wilson, I should really have had a restoration thread going from the start but to be honest I was concerned I wouldn't have the patience or skill to get to the end. I may add a restoration retrospective covering before and after for some of the most difficult areas if that can help others.
]
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

It most certainly would. I've yet to do any serious bodywork on a Minor as I've just had a few mechanical issues to sort out but, fingers crossed it wont happen soon, I'm sure I'll be cutting and welding at some point.
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

Well done :D she looks great now you can have many fun miles in her :) maybe a next restoration is on the list....? ;) :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968 Morris Minor - 2 door - Smoke Grey - De luxe - called Norma
-1970 Morris traveller - trafalgar blue - De luxe - called Ona
67-2door
Minor Fan

Post by 67-2door »

Brilliant job. Hopefully I'll see my minor back on the road this summer, although it wont be as shiny as yours.