Last Minor Ever......really ?? (Manchester)

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Oldmogman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Last Minor Ever......really ?? (Manchester)

Post by Oldmogman »

This car was part of a feature I wrote about the first and last Minors, for Classic Cars magazine, published in July '94, which followed its appearance in the magazine's 'Discovered' section in May.

Registered FMT 265J, it was described by the seller, The Real Car Co (01248 602649 - if they're still going), as the last-ever Minor, a De Luxe model, car no. 1288377, and priced at £3,000.

When I drove it, it was unrestored and tatty, but basically sound, with 16,434 showing on the clock. It was fitted with the chrome sidescreen surrounds then.

I'd imagined at the time that it would be bought by a collector and either preserved or restored, so it's a shock to see it in a such sorry state now. Let's hope it's rescued from an ignominious end!
The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by The Issigonis Kid »

Thanks for the interesting story, unfortunately the Gov.uk MOT has no info and it looks like it was last taxed shortly after you drove it yourself !!
Andy, I too think maybe the club should look into it, maybe not restore it but just get it back on the road ? As mentioned, I've informed MINI BMW as an interesting part of their factory history. They've not replied though.[frame]Image[/frame]

The Issigonis Kid - Richard Troup - Sheffield - 1961 Morris Minor Traveller ...... at last
Oldmogman
Minor Fan

Post by Oldmogman »

I drove it some time in the spring of that year, but can't recall whether it was taxed.

The magazine pix show no tax disc in place, but then we often removed tax discs for shoots.
martin418
Minor Fan

Post by martin418 »

it's got to be saved , as it's a de luxe would that account for the chrome window surrounds
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Where do you get that from :o . NO Cowley built Minor 1000 2door saloons had the bright window surrounds - which are from the Traveller and stainless steel not "chrome". It has nothing to do with being a "deluxe".
martin418
Minor Fan

Post by martin418 »

sorry i spoke :x !i did not get it from anywhere i just thought that might explain it and i am sorry i did not use the correct terminology describing them , i don't know what's going on but every time a simple mistake is made someone has to pick up on it and also sorry for my ignorance in not knowing which models were built where and with what parts !!!
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

That's the way it gets on here sometimes Martin! Lots of knowledge but sometimes a little lacking in understanding...
martin418
Minor Fan

Post by martin418 »

thank you someone who understands , well i won't be posting any more i have had my fill of it , i shall continue driving my series 2 with it's copper brake pipes , crossply tyres and METRIC bolts holding the front panel on and just to really get up someone's nose i shall turn off my heater tap when i like and ignition coils do fail ,
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

martin418 wrote:thank you someone who understands , well i won't be posting any more i have had my fill of it , i shall continue driving my series 2 with it's copper brake pipes , crossply tyres and METRIC bolts holding the front panel on and just to really get up someone's nose i shall turn off my heater tap when i like and ignition coils do fail ,
I've got loads of metric on mine too.. luckily the valuation for insurance purposes never picked up on it. :lol:
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan

Lets stay on track guys, its less than 24hrs to go and still no bids.! Out of interest, did they do a delux in the last few years?
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

ManyMinors wrote:Where do you get that from :o . NO Cowley built Minor 1000 2door saloons had the bright window surrounds - which are from the Traveller and stainless steel not "chrome". It has nothing to do with being a "deluxe".
One thing I have learnt with all the years spent researching & investigating these blasted machines is NEVER say never.......

Start making sweeping statements and assumptions - not saying you're wrong btw - bound to drop a boo-boo somewhere along the line....

Not everyone owning a Minor is an "expert" on them.

Come back Martin!!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

As a 'yoof' of 18 at the time I now embarrassed to admit that I used to cut articles out of car magazines about minors and kept a scrap book! Ive tried scanning it but the scanners not playing ball.

It says the original owner traded it in for a 1971 Rolls to the dealer Ian Johnstone of the Real Car Company of Bethesda who said it was sound original and scruffy condition, a very historic car that should be in a museum. Pic shows it with the stainless tops. Ive also a couple of picture adverts showing front and rear and a price tag of £3500

Edit, just thought of taking a pic of the old adverts, here they are

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Last edited by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH on Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Too many Minors so little time.....
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

ManyMinors wrote: NO Cowley built Minor 1000 2door saloons had the bright window surrounds
Unless you worked at the factory difficult to know for definite. At a factory which was mainly fitting stainless door tops who's to say that when it came to the very last 2 door saloon they didn't just fit what was available to hand?

Eric - 1971 Traveller
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

Has the body number or any photo of the chassis plate been supplied to the previous requests?
Has anyone viewed the car during the sale process?
I am a good few miles away, but if there are no bids I will put a bid it to save it, with a view to getting it to a roadworthy MOT standard in the first place. Hopefully someone will find it a perfect home where it is safe for a while.
Oldmogman
Minor Fan

Post by Oldmogman »

Good on ya, busguy!

But I'm surprised the MMOC hasn't become involved - does anyone know if the bigwigs are aware of the sale?
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

John. Have requested body number, no response!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan

I've not even had a reply from BMW Mini so I doubt they're interested in this rare piece of factory history.
The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan

Just so you all know, as there is interest in the vehicle, I have messaged the seller to make him/her aware of this post and that we are wanting to have a proper description or photos of the work involved to save it. Thanks all for your interest. Lets hope it goes to a decent enthusiast.

The Issigonis Kid - Richard Troup - Sheffield - 1961 Morris Minor Traveller ...... at last
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Well done bus guy, I was tempted myself but I'm nearly as far south as you and already have a June 70 j-reg 2 door needing plenty of work, and no transport. Good luck.
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

Wish I still lived in Manchester 8) to get to see it, but if the seller isn't replying to questions through ebay, I wouldn't have been able to find out the address anyway. :o