Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
67-2door
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Morris resto on TV

Post by 67-2door »

New Wheeler dealers tonight on Quest at 9pm, they're doing a Morris traveller.

les
Minor Maniac

Re: Morris resto on TV

Post by les »

Wonder if it's the episode where the 'restorers' altered the timber frame to overcome a fitting problem, instead of rectifying the metalwork that caused the problem! :roll:

PaulTubby
Minor Fan

Post by PaulTubby »

les wrote:Wonder if it's the episode where the 'restorers' altered the timber frame to overcome a fitting problem, instead of rectifying the metalwork that caused the problem! :roll:

That was car SOS !
GBond
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by GBond »

Wheeler Dealers, at least in the episodes I've seen always seem to repair the cars properly.
Gabriel
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

PaulTubby wrote:
les wrote:Wonder if it's the episode where the 'restorers' altered the timber frame to overcome a fitting problem, instead of rectifying the metalwork that caused the problem! :roll:

That was car SOS !
Well maybe this programme is working on the same traveller ---- to put it right! :D

viewsonic1
Minor Fan

Post by viewsonic1 »

67-2door wrote:New Wheeler dealers tonight on Quest at 9pm, they're doing a Morris traveller.
This oft repeated programme is on at various times throughout the week and next if you have missed it.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The car disappeared for ages to 'be painted'. And came back looking fine - hard to imagine there wasn't a mass of welding to do underneath. What amazed me was the price he paid (£2450) for what was basically a 'running wreck' (although he did acknowledge in a later add-in that he had paid too much) - the lad that sold the car had a 'great escape' there. I was surprised Brewer was mugged with that one. Don't doubt the final job was worth the selling price - assuming it had all been properly restored down below. They rarely seem to have to do any mechanical work to the cars, or even change the oil and filter! (He also fitted the wrong cork gaskets to the perfectly good later cam follower covers - guaranteed oil leak there.)........and as we all know with a Minor - the mechanicals are generally the very least of the problems and expense. Of course - China (and his team - he only fronts it) do their work for 'free' - otherwise it would never have been an economic proposition. He should have drained and refilled the dampers with SAE40 - it was bobbing about like a beach ball in the final road test!
ImageImage
Dave H

Post by Dave H »

Charles Ware told me they had been asked to be a bogus buyer and refused because Wheeler Dealers hadn't sorted the rot underneath the car,
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Here's an older thread about this if anyone is interested, including a post from the man who purchased the traveller: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... er+dealers

Eric - 1971 Traveller
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

So - we're still not very clear, did they repair the underside at all (I would hope so) - or did they they just do what we can see? It is still MOTd and Taxed, and has done well on past MOTs except for a slight brakes problem a few years ago. No mentions of any structural work, so either they sorted it properly - or it has since been done before submitting for MOT. Has had a recent new speedo - or set back to zero. I still say the original 'buy' by Brewer was a complete rip-off.
ImageImage
minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

I watched it last night for the second time. Funnily enough just after me and my dad came home from buying my dad's new addition to the fleet. After seeing the program it reinforced that we had got a bargain. Bearing in mind it didn't cost an awful lot more than the wheeler dealer one and it's a heck of alot better than theirs was. :lol:[frame]Image[/frame]

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

And indeed - your ODD is excellent in that picture anyway. Well done. And a possible valuable Reg No to transfer too if you are into that sort of thing.
ImageImage
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

out of interest - during the show they mention that mobile headliner fitters exist that will do the job onsite. does anyone know if that's actually true and have details if so??
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

*bump* :)
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Wheeler dealers never covers the bits i want to see, but i guess in one hour you cannot show an in depth build up, i would like to see a show like the "A car is reborn" series with Mark Evans but for minors, The one he did was an E type as i remember which was good but a bit out of my price range.

busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

Wonder if Mark Evans would do a programme on a decent rebuild of FMT 265J, the last Minor saloon off the Cowley line on 12/11/70? It is crying out for a saviour.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

busguy wrote:Wonder if Mark Evans would do a programme on a decent rebuild of FMT 265J, the last Minor saloon off the Cowley line on 12/11/70? It is crying out for a saviour.
Thats the sort of show i would like to see, why not get in touch with him and ask, it would be good to see an indepth build up of a special car. his contact page has no direct way to get in touch but he lists twitter or facebook as a way, unless anyone knows his agent maybe you could try a tweet or whatever they do on facebook..
http://www.markevans.co.uk/contact/

busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

olderisbetter wrote:
busguy wrote:Wonder if Mark Evans would do a programme on a decent rebuild of FMT 265J, the last Minor saloon off the Cowley line on 12/11/70? It is crying out for a saviour.
Thats the sort of show i would like to see, why not get in touch with him and ask, it would be good to see an indepth build up of a special car. his contact page has no direct way to get in touch but he lists twitter or facebook as a way, unless anyone knows his agent maybe you could try a tweet or whatever they do on facebook..
http://www.markevans.co.uk/contact/
Great mind think alike! After writing my last comment on here I did just that! I have used twitter initially, but will follow up by another means of communication, even trying his media or corporate communications.
Thanks for the suggestion.
John
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

I have looked at his wikipedia page and noticed he has done a 10 part series on rebuilding an MGB roadster, so maybe he has a taste for the BMC, and if all this fails start a fund to help get this car sorted.
i wonder if a site like this could be any help https://www.generosity.com/

chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Wheeler Dealers is totally fake (as are all so-called ""reality"" shows). Even the person you see Brewer buying the car from is an extra as is the person he "sells" it to.

The cars are quietly disposed of on Ebay or other outlets as projects still needed masses of work to make them roadworthy.

I know this because I spoke to a chap who worked with the series sourcing cars (yes, Mike doesn't even find the cars himself!).
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage