Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Johnno
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

beam deflectors.

Post by Johnno »

Morning all,I plan to take my `52 MM over to France this year.
Can anyone tell me what the position is regarding beam deflectors?
I cant see how they can work with my old bulbs.Modern cars have deflectors built in to the glass/plastic covers.
Thanks,John.
Power to your Pistons,Johnnydoome.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: beam deflectors.

Post by bmcecosse »

With 'old bulbs' the answer was to buy a pair of yellow RH dipping bulbs and fit them ! Not sure if you can buy anything like that these days. Do you expect to be driving in the dark anyway?? Be sure to have the right number of Hi-Viz/warning triangle/first aid kit in the car....I believe mandatory in France.
ImageImage
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

The other thing you are supposed to carry is a portable alcohol test kit.

Like a lot of things in life, there are many regulations to follow and if for some reason the Gendarmerie decide to pick on you and test every possibility then there is sure to be something they can find. The chances of this happening are very remote. They have better things to do than pick on tourists. It is more likely that they would be keenly interested in your car as a Vehicule ancienne" rather than a source of a criminal device.

As for the lights, It is again very doubtful if anyone would notice that your left dipping headlights are wrong. They are probably so weak in comparision to modern cars.
Theoretically, by the way, you are supposed to have key km/hr markers on your speedo 30, 50, 70 etc ( which you probably do not have either) . But no-one is going to be bothered about this unless you become stroppy - not a good idea.

Enjoy your trip before the British are banned from using the EU roads. :)
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

You can get stick on headlight beam deflectors from your local Halfords. About £8. Simply follow instructions. Easy to apply easy to remove on the return to the UK :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Alcohol test kit? I learn something new every day.... And yet the French are the very ones to think nothing of sharing a bottle of wine at lunchtime - and that is in the Works canteen!
ImageImage
moggiethouable
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by moggiethouable »

bmcecosse wrote:Alcohol test kit? I learn something new every day.... And yet the French are the very ones to think nothing of sharing a bottle of wine at lunchtime - and that is in the Works canteen!
Bottles of wine at lunchtime in the works canteen, the days would just fly by....................Vive Le France is what I say.
Where angels fear to tread
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

I "think" you have to carry a warning triangle just in case you you break down as well as the breathalizer kit and the high viz jacket (jacket has to be in the front of the car not in the boot)

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

This is Standard for most Continental countries.

The bottle of wine at lunchtime sydrome is exactly the reason the French government under Sarkozy ( it was a while ago now) introduced the legislation of having the alcoholtest kit to be carried in the car. Supposedly you could test yourself?? no idea.

But for those who cross borders every day and sometimes several times you should abide by the various country codes, although hardly anybody does- People I know in Aachen go from Belgium to Holland and Germany almost every day ...and by bike. Three different languages in the space of 5 minutes !!
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

bmcecosse wrote:Alcohol test kit? I learn something new every day.... And yet the French are the very ones to think nothing of sharing a bottle of wine at lunchtime - and that is in the Works canteen!
as with most things in france they have great ideas.. introduce a law and then never quiet get around to implementing it properly..
if you read half way down this article from the aa ( a hopefully reliable source ) it says they have postponed the fine indefinitely..

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/ov ... -2012.html

so yes you must have one.. but if you do not have one.. nothing will happen to you even if the police stop you
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

It is a bit like the 110km/hr Speed Limit in Britain - do you know anyone who actually abides by it and do the Police enforce it?