Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
67-2door
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Wipers, are they all rubbish?

Post by 67-2door »

Does anyone know of any decent quality wiper blades for a minor that actually work?
I bought some new ones, I think they came from Bull Motif, but they're appalling at actually clearing any water from the screen.
Thanks.

Monty-4
Minor Addict

Re: Wipers, are they all rubbish?

Post by Monty-4 »

Sometimes it can be due to the spring in the arm itself being worn and not putting enough pressure on the screen (you can buy replacements for a couple of quid), but I don't think the wipers are ever going to be phenomenal.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

I've recently fitted some black "Lucas" ones on mine which I bought from a local motor factor as I was so fed up with the so called best on the market "Tex" blades falling to pieces and hardly wiping the screen at all :( .

The black wipers don't look so good on a classic car perhaps but at least I can see where I'm going AND they were much cheaper too :D
67-2door
Minor Fan

Post by 67-2door »

Thanks, I'll have a look for some of those.

MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

I've used modern car wipers (boashe) I bought these during Halfords clearance removed the blades and cur them down to fit. Never had a problem with them but as said before check your springs are strong enough. You could even get away with used wipers that have been split on the ends just cut them off and use the good bit :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968 Morris Minor - 2 door - Smoke Grey - De luxe - called Norma
-1970 Morris traveller - trafalgar blue - De luxe - called Ona
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

I bought replacement generic blades (just the rubber blade and the flexible plastic backing--no metal parts) from a local motor factor and fitted them. They needed to be cut to length (I got both blades from one of the two generic ones in the pack). Fitting them involved sliding the backing into the holder assembly. Then there are clips to be fastened to stop the blades from sliding out.

Anyhow, the result was great and fairly cheap, especially considering the two generic blades will yield four blades for the Minor when cut to length. The particular ones I bought were labelled on the packet that they are made of silicone (rather than rubber).

Something to watch is that there were three different blade backing designs: wide (8.5mm,) narrow (6.5mm) and wide/narrow (fits both). Only the wide type fitted my blade holder assemblies (Trico brand for a Series V Minor).

Don
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The 'chrome/stainless' blades are well known for being hopeless. Black ones worked well enough for me - and yes if you can be bothered, modern blades etc can be modified to fit. A good clean of the screen and then RainX (or one of the generic types from Pound shops) helps greatly too.
ImageImage
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Have you tried Rain-X additive? Rub it on the screen as directed and it makes the water bead and run off. I have used it on all my different cars over the years. It's efficiency can vary from car to car (I think it depends on the aerodynamics and angle of screen) but at it's best I have driven at motorway speeds in a downpour without wipers!
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.