Are you looking for an MOT nr Leicester ?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
HarryMango
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Are you looking for an MOT nr Leicester ?

Post by HarryMango »

If you are then look no further than Ratby MOT station in the middle of Ratby Village just to the west of Leicester - he's a real enthusiast who treats all classics with the respect they deserve - was recommended to me by a fellow branch member & sorted me out a treat - even got a mug of tea as well

Rog
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Are you looking for an MOT nr Leicester ?

Post by SteveClem »

Still a few good people around, but getting thinner on the ground unfortunately.
Stuartandsue
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Stuartandsue »

I was a service advisor and MOT tester for a few firms including AA Garages and a Rover dealer for some years and it used to be really scary when you see a fifty year old car on your job pile in the morning, they take a lot longer to MOT than a modern vehicle so you can never do it in the time allotted by the bosses...

Layers and layers of underseal covering up all sorts of stuff was the scariest bit for me because even though you know its rotten.. under the testing rules as long as it makes the right noise when you tap it with the special recommended MOT (Now VOSA) tool ...you cant (or you couldn't then) scrape any underseal off so you had to just pass and advise...

I know someone worked for VOSA and he told me they had a big debate when they changed from Ministry of Transport to VOSA as to how to pronounce it and they decided on VOSA pronounced like "VO cabulary" rather then the other way as they didn't want people saying... here comes the Tossa from VOSA etc !

The MOT test is a joke in some ways, one time I remember I was not allowed to fail a gaping inch wide rust hole in a fuel tank on one test yet I had to fail it on one out of two number plate lights out (just bulbs gone).. not sure which was more dangerous (kidding) :)

The car had been stood for ages and he was getting it tested to sell it...The reason I could not fail this dangerous leaking car was that it was not "dripping or leaking fuel at the time of the test" , this is a true story and I rang the ministry to confirm and they said I could not fail it as it wasn't leaking.. the only reason it wasn't leaking was that he had run the fuel tank low and fuel gauge was on the red line, however as soon as it was filled up fuel would have spilled all over but I couldn't fail it on the MOT and no doubt the guy went and sold it anyway...

Glad I am off the spanners and service desks now as being a tester you are taking people and families lives in your hands every day, if you miss something safety wise someone could die !!

Glad to hear there are people out there not scared of doing the oldies...

Respect is due !

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Stuartandsue wrote: it used to be really scary when you see a fifty year old car on your job pile in the morning, they take a lot longer to MOT than a modern vehicle so you can never do it in the time allotted by the bosses...
Our local MOT station think the opposite and are very happy when I turn up in my Minor. No, emissions test, no front or rear fog lamps, no hazard lights, no brake servo, or power steering and goodness knows what else,.... The Minor has a pretty straightforward structure to check and takes him much less time than a older "modern" car which might have corrosion problems almost anywhere AND have all the extras to check. In fact, he's generally finished the test too quickly for the computer to allow the certificate to be issued and I either have to wait or return sometime later. Surely the reason that MOTs are no longer required on pre-1960 cars is that much of the modern testing procedure doesn't apply to older cars?
nice one cyril

Post by nice one cyril »

Hi, Just read the post by the ex tester who did not have enough time to test an old car in the allotted time. A local tester I used said he looked forward to my tests because he could actually make money on mine as he would finish well before the allotted time and like the other guy had to wait for the pass to be issued. Another guy I used apologised for the time he'd spent on a road test, he said it was so nice to drive he went around the course again. You have to applaud his honesty and good taste! Nice One Cyril
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

Walsh Autos,Glen Parva nr Leicester is another classic-friendly MoT tester :)
Stuartandsue
Minor Friendly

Post by Stuartandsue »

In the days I was testing I could do the cars I know well very quickly but with older cars now and then people used to try and cover things up for instance covering rot holes within 30cm of a seatbelt mounting point with card covered in filler or layer upon layer of underseal all over brake pipes so you cant check them confidently.

I last tested for a Rover dealership at the time Rover went under in fact.

I am glad there are people out there doing the old cars, we are looking for a good place a bit nearer to us, (Junction 28 of the M1)

I know it doesn't require an MOT but having just bought it I would like an MOT test on it for peace of mind.