Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Peetee
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

A good offer?

Post by Peetee »

I have been contacted by a large engineering college who have offered to refurbish the engine in my traveller (currently still to be restored and with an unproven engine). I would pay only for the parts required.
Does that sound like a good offer? Anyone like to suggest any potential issues?
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: A good offer?

Post by bmcecosse »

I once 'inherited' an A series that had been used as you describe in a 'college' for students to work on an engine - it had all the big end caps mixed up, the centre main was even on wrong way round - the cam timing dimples were no-where near, and several rings were broken..... Fortunately nothing had been properly torqued up - but even so it wouldn't turn over. Other than that - it was in great condition..... :roll: So -it depends what they know, and what they are willing to do to it. Grind the crank? Bore the block? Skim the block and the head ? Fit new guides and seat the valves? I would advise a Q & A session with the person who is going to be supervising the work. Perhaps you can go along and take part in the job? Done properly - it will be a great deal - but.........
ImageImage
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Roy's suggestion of a " Q & A " session is a good one.
A few to consider :- Will the College insurance cover the engine whilst in their care or is it your responsibility ?
Parts required .. would you have the final say on the necessity of replacement ?
Would the " depth of your pocket " , if you are paying for the parts , delay the student's work schedule
if you were asked to cough up for a lot of expensive parts in one month ?
Given Roy's experience are you expecting any "guarantee " for work undertaken or is it
"at your own risk " ?
Will there be a work sheet / list of work carried out at the end of the project for your record.
What is the situation if you require the engine back before the work is completed or over runs the
projected timescale.
Who pays for transport there and back ?
Bob
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Rather you than me. It's a learning exercise where mistakes are unavoidably made.

Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

All valid points, thank you.
I would like to think in this highly litigated world that the college concerned will ensure that I have a fully functioning, safe engine at the end of the day. These places are very impressive these days. The college in question has the sort of spacious, spotless, regimented, high tech equipment that would make a Bond villain green with envy. Nevertheless, I will proceed with caution and much questioning.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It's a great opportunity - but i do suggest good personal involvement/supervision of the work being done.
ImageImage
The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

It's a no brainer, astonished that you are struggling to accept their offer.
If you don't want to do it, point them to this thread and tell them to contact me. I'll supply a 1098 or 1275 from shed stock and let them rebuild it. I'll even pay shipping.

Al