Early sidelights as flashing indicators

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
brabiac
MMOC Member: No

Early sidelights as flashing indicators

Post by brabiac »

Probably a well worn path this one but would like to use the correct type of sidelight for my series 2 (Lucas L489) as a flashing indicator. Suppliers recommend I use L488 instead but this doesn't look the same. Is it possible to adapt the L488 bulb holder and boot to take the L489 lens and surround? Someone on Ebay claims to do this! See http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-Minor- ... SweW5VU8lk
Many thanks....Tony[frame]Image[/frame]
Adrian Pearse
Minor Friendly

Re: Early sidelights as flashing indicators

Post by Adrian Pearse »

That looks like the standard lamp for the single filament bulb (Sidelight). I believe you can get a deeper rubber boot and double filament type bulb holder that uses the standard lens. Not sure where from somebody will know on here.
brabiac

Post by brabiac »

Thanks Adrian - there seem to be various bulb holders and boots available but the trick would be to marry 21w flasher bulb capability with the early type of indicator and lens which would normally take a 5w bulb only - no good for use as an indicator. Anyone know if you can get bright LED bulbs suitable for use as a flashing indicator to fit the smaller 5w bulb holder on L489?
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Snap! I wanted similar on my MM. I can't remember exact details but I bought new lamps bases and cut the flanges off and silver soldered the new base to my original flange. The new assembly was then zinc plated.
This gave the the ability to use a 5/21w stop lamp bulb. 5w for the sidelights and 21w for the flashers - works well.

Alan
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

I used the longer body and trimmed off the outer edge that hold the chrome ring in place, this leaves it looking the same from the outside as your old rubber.

Too many Minors so little time.....
brabiac

Post by brabiac »

Thank you so much everyone - I thought it was possible to utilise parts from both assemblies - now I know! Isn't the message board great! Tony
sparesman
Minor Fan

Post by sparesman »

I do the same as David M recommended or as an alternative on some of my MM & S11 Minors I have used the sidelight as indicator with a 21W bulb painted yellow & bulb holder and fitted early Mini Mk1 bulb type headlights with sidelights.
1934 Morris 10/4 in Dark Green / Black - BGO517
1953 S11 Traveller in Birch Grey - oldest survivor ? Export model now reg PPO924
1953 S11 Traveller in Black - 3rd oldest in UK PPX344
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

Someone else can confirm, but for early 1000s the deeper Glass front sidelights the correct flashing arrangement bulb and holder is not the same as the rear stop/tail light bulb of later 1000s and similar cars. The 'pips' offsets are different ( I think they are dead opposite and less 'deep'. Still 5w/21w though!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It's possible - I think Fords used to use that bulb too - to force you to buy their bulbs! Note the correct yellow bulbs these days also have a different off set pip arrangement.
ImageImage
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

The stop tail bulb should be the same item as the rear, just the bulb holder is deeper

Too many Minors so little time.....
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH wrote:The stop tail bulb should be the same item as the rear, just the bulb holder is deeper
I agree. Both the flat glass and the later domed glass types both used the same "380" bulb regardless of lens and position on the car.