Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

What would you like to have fabricated?

Post by RobThomas »

Are there any items that need putting into very limited production to fill a need for Minors? I've recently made Lowlight sidescreen frames, early Lowlight boot catches, Lowlight gearbox rubber mounts, Sidevalve tubular exhaust manifolds etc. and wondered if there were any other items I could create that are in short supply or NLA.

I'm taking early retirement on medical grounds and am looking to find something to keep me going.

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Re: What would you like to have fabricated?

Post by Mark Wilson »

Great workmanship, Rob. My Traveller is a late one, so most things in plentiful supply but a couple of suggestions for you:

1. A modified clutch relay shaft for 1275 conversions, possibly together with rose jointed linkages (a la Declan)

2. Definitely a market for a reliable cable controlled heater valve - possibly a rebuild or strengthening rather than starting from scratch.

You might also consider inviting one off commissions for rare items.

Best of luck, and sorry you're being forced into retirement. I'm at retirement age but I'm keeping going through lack of imagination, haven't come up with a plan for how to use my time yet!

Mark
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Nickol »

not really a Suggestion but more of a personnal Need.

I am looking for a glove box surround for my ( now) LHD Traveller and maybe the glove box itself.

I have it mind to make these parts myself this winter using GfK techniques as the steel parts are not available from the normal sources.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Mark. Do you have any pictures showing the clutch issues? Has Declan posted any pics or other info somewhere on this site?

Nickol. What is the design of the cover like? Again, a photo would be handy.

Van wheel nuts, anyone?

Rob
Cardiff, UK
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Hi Rob

A couple of suggestions of items that were available previously, but are now NLA.

1) Eyebolts designed to allow more neutral or even negative camber (discussed previously on this site).
2) Downpipes for the factory dual outlet exhaust manifolds (Ital?)
3) Dual circuit master cylinder kits (ones based on Mazda 323 mc's are popular here in Oz).

I'll keep thinking.

All the best for your retirement. I'm sure you'll be keeping v busy.

Don
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

A lot of people say the new engine mount rubbers are too hard, perhaps have a go at those.

Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

A happy retirement to you sir!

I'd echo the above common complaints and add to it a flanged exhaust manifold join & downpipe for the standard system. You could likely undercut the expensive LCB downpipe systems on the market too.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

My votes go to a dual circuit brake cylinder with servo assistance and a cable operated heater valve that (a) fits without fouling the rocket cover (b) does not leak and (c) bypasses the heater rather than shutting off the flow completely - this would allow coolant to continue to circulate throughout the head rather than hitting a dead end. Good luck with the retirement; but you could soon have a full time business!
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Declan kindly provided both a drawing of the extended relay shaft and a photo of his improved linkage on this link.

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... ch+linkage

Perhaps you and Declan need to set up in business together!

Mark
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

simmitc wrote:(c) bypasses the heater rather than shutting off the flow completely - this would allow coolant to continue to circulate throughout the head rather than hitting a dead end.
Now that's what I call creative thinking! :lol:
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I might have a chat with Declan at some point. I wouldn't steal his idea without permission. :D

Brake master cylinder (dual circuit) is already at the dirty fingers stage. Several options beyond the ones mentioned around the Morris websites.

I'll have a look at water outlets next. Too dark in the garage to do much more. Lights out due to water leak. :evil:
Cardiff, UK
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

My vote would be for negative camber eyebolts
The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan

Post by The Issigonis Kid »

Cheesegrator grill with chrome trim into a 1000 surround. Genuine Million wheel embelishers (beauty rings).

The Issigonis Kid - Richard Troup - Sheffield - 1961 Morris Minor Traveller ...... at last
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I'll have a look at water outlets next. Too dark in the garage to do much more. Lights out due to water leak. :evil:
Just after I buy a T-piece and an aftermarket cable operated heater valve! :wink:
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
seriesmm_1
Minor Fan

Post by seriesmm_1 »

Hi Rob,
Sorry to hear about your early retirement,hope it works out ok for you.
I have been looking for the metal bottom hose connection for the series mm with a water pump for some time & these are like looking for warts on hens teeth if you see what I mean.I attach a photo which has been previously posted giving some dimensions. The I/d of the short rubber hose is 32mm dia & the o/d of the water pump inlet is approx 32 mm dia,I'm sure ther are a few people on here where this is top of their wanted list for originality & having seen your skills at pipe bending what more can I say.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Coalmossian
Minor Fan

Post by Coalmossian »

Sorry to hear that, Rob. I'll have a wee think now that you have encouraged and inspired me to get on with my '49 lowlight.
I would dearly like to find some new quarterligt rubbers for the aforementioned, but I suspect you re talking about metal items?!
Good luck!
OHP 900
Minor Friendly

Post by OHP 900 »

seriesmm_1 wrote:Hi Rob,
Sorry to hear about your early retirement,hope it works out ok for you.
I have been looking for the metal bottom hose connection for the series mm with a water pump for some time & these are like looking for warts on hens teeth if you see what I mean.I attach a photo which has been previously posted giving some dimensions. The I/d of the short rubber hose is 32mm dia & the o/d of the water pump inlet is approx 32 mm dia,I'm sure ther are a few people on here where this is top of their wanted list for originality & having seen your skills at pipe bending what more can I say.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Not to hijack this thread or anything but is this pipe similar to that used on early '49/'48 cars that had a three piece bottom hose arrangement? Got a pic I found that shows it on a very early USHM2 car.[frame]Image[/frame]
'49 saloon - LMM 982
‘52 4 door saloon - KWP 463
'53 van - OHP 900
‘54 Traveller - LVJ 184
'56 4 door saloon - 656 BPK
Million #281 - 1620 MY
'63 2 door saloon - KGH 680A (was 936 STX)
‘65 2 door saloon - CYD 315C
'66 Traveller - FHW 952D
'66 2 door saloon - KUD 108D
'66 Convertible - GKE 885D
'68 2 door saloon - TUW 453F
'68 4 door saloon - TYA 501G
'69 2 door saloon - RKJ 882G
'69 2 door saloon - ROU 979G
‘69 Traveller - LWL 835G

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Prior to chassis circa 27000 (rhd) it had that metal pipe, according to the parts list. After that it went to a single hose for the non-water pump cars.
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

First 'sample' new eyebolt should be on the way to me today to check if it can be used as a starting point for perfect Minor eyebolts. This is not a custom job but is adapted from an Aerospace component that merely needs to be resized in a couple of dimensions. Tooling up for making them from scratch would require a £2300 up-front charge. :o

Has anyone got a lead on a source of brass pipe suitable for the MM system shown above? £40 per unit just for the 32mm OD brass tubing, before any shaping is done. Surely there must be a better source???
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Ian. No luck with tracking down a sample for the Lowlight window rubbers, yet. How far are they off the shape of the later cars? Do you have enough of the originals left to work from?

Rob

PS If anyone has any ALTA parts then I'd be very keen to get hold of them, even if only to borrow for taking moulds. Rocker covers, intermediate pushrods and water outlet castings for the heads with thermostats in. Early water elbow production is already being looked into.
Cardiff, UK