Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bengaku
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

New to classic cars

Post by Bengaku »

Hello everyone just got my first classic car a 1968 four door reg number LDL745F.Mo as i have decided to call him has a really extensive history including most of his past MOT'S.At the moment he runs and drives has a good interior but will need some body work.If anyone has known Mo in the past please let me know would love to find out a bit more about him.Hopefully it wont take long to get him back to his best.Look forward to chatting and meeting other morris minor owners.Paul
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Re: New to classic cars

Post by greendefender123 »

Welcome to the forum. Got any pictures of mo?
Bengaku
Minor Friendly

Post by Bengaku »

Thanks for the welcome i do have a picture but cant seem to upload it lol.will try again
morris van
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by morris van »

Your car must have been registered in the Isle of Wight with DL in the registration as my van was registered in the Isle of Wight. I filled in a v888 form downloaded from the DVLA website and showed me copies of the logbooks the previous owners.

Bengaku
Minor Friendly

Post by Bengaku »

Hi first registered to a Mr Pinder of Newort on the 14th of June 1968 so not sure about car reg having DL .
Bengaku
Minor Friendly

Post by Bengaku »

fist picture of Mo[frame]Image[/frame]
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Nice looking moggie. Any plans for it?
Bengaku
Minor Friendly

Post by Bengaku »

Hi yes going to fix his sticking pedals which i have been told is a common fault .Then get a little bit of body work done and he will be good to go strong engine good interior seems to be all original. Maybe see what it will cost to get servo brakes for safety reasons.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Don't expect a servo to improve your brakes. You get normal braking with a bit less pushing. I find the servo good because of my arthritic knees but for stronger brakes most people seem to go for bigger drums or convert to discs.
Bengaku
Minor Friendly

Post by Bengaku »

Thanks for the advice i think i meant to say disc brakes lol
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Try using some penetrating oil (e.g., 3-in-1) on the pedal pivots and letting it soak in for a day or two. Easiest, of course, if you remove the gearbox cover. :wink:
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
Bengaku
Minor Friendly

Post by Bengaku »

Quick update pedals working fine but brake pedal does seem to go all the way to the floor? Not sure if this is correct as im more use to driving a new car .Have only been driving two years .Anyone have any advice on how brakes you feel using drum brakes
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

I suspect they will need bleeding at the very least (top up the master cylinder reservoir first), along with adjustment of the brake shoes and probably/preferably refilling with new brake fluid (DOT 4), perhaps even new brake shoes and wheel cylinders.

The pedal should only go down about an inch and a half before the brakes come on. Certainly not go down to the floor, which is dangerous and definitely not safe to be driven on the road! :o

See this recent thread, where a guy had a similar problem:

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64719
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
Bengaku
Minor Friendly

Post by Bengaku »

Thank you for the information hopefully bleeding them will do the trick keep you updated
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Welcome to the sane world of Morris Minors :D . Having been an MG Owner for 32 years and a Minor owner for 13, perhaps I am relatively new to Minors. To be honest, I never appreciated what good cars they were until I had one and somehow the enthusiasm of the club is infectious. Minor Matters is the magazine I most like to see hit the mat. Having owned a classic car, where spares were sometimes a challenge (And where a car park, end to end scrape could have proved a real headache), I appreciate the spares back up of the Minor, which is on a par with MGBs and Midgets (In some ways better).

I don't own a modern car and the Traveller is what you might call the runabout, though as I cycle to work and shop on foot (Or even bus), it leads the life of a "Classic". At present, it's in dry dock, waiting it's turn to have the clutch rectified; the result of a 5 speed conversion, that was not carried out very well, someWARE or other!! I have also got some new front uprights and am reconditioning a steering rack and I will do all the jobs at once.

On the subject of a good oil, with penetrating qualities, I can recommend Shimano WS1500101 Chain & Cable Lube 200ml. I run a cycle business and although the Shimano oil is not the most heavily marketed, it is the best "Dry" oil (Doesn't attract dust like a wet oil and unless it's raining all the time or there is salt about, you don't need a wet oil) and it's what I use myself. I don't just use it on the bike but I always apply it via the straw that comes with the tin.
Bengaku
Minor Friendly

Post by Bengaku »

Thank you for the warm welcome and information regarding oil .at present im in the process of fixing a leaking hub gasket. Hopefully that will go well then its trying to get so e rear wings and patch panels for rear doors. If anyone knows of any rear wings doors would be really helpful.
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

Bengaku wrote: If anyone knows of any rear wings doors would be really helpful.
Where are you located as they are not the best things to post!
Bengaku
Minor Friendly

Post by Bengaku »

Hi im from scotland glasgow that anywhere near you do you have pictures of them
Bengaku
Minor Friendly

Post by Bengaku »

Just a quick update worked on Mo today sorted his brakes and hopefully a small leak at the hub took him out for a wee drive magic took me back to my younger days driving with my dad happy memories
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Good to hear that! :P
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)