Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dr FH
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1959 split screen??

Post by Dr FH »

Hi,
Thanks to all for input on this vehicle it's very much appreciated. I have asked the guy to uncover the VIN number and he has not replied but immediately relisted the car on eBay. I have informed him that I have checked the VIN plate against factory records and that it definitely does not belong to the car and therefore the car has a fake ID.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Frankly, knowing what you now know, walking away from it is the best thing. Whatever condition the car is in it isn't the car it pretends to be and this is likely to cause you problems in the long run. I wasn't suggesting that the car is necessarily a stolen one but certainly it is living under the ID of a different car for some reason.

You've told the seller - as I'm sure others have too. However, he continues to list it as a "genuine" 1959 Splitscreen.........

I wonder who the lucky next owner will be........
SGTBILKO
Minor Fan

Post by SGTBILKO »

It's back on ebay? It defies all belief! Caveat emptor!
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

"Disability Minors were built in the late 1950s and into the Sixties. Disabled Minors were built after the Minor 1000 was introduced in 1956, but had may things in common with the earlier series 2 models. Early disabled Minors were fitted with 803scc engines with series 2 badges but with the single piece window screens. All were 2 door saloons, later on in production they had the normal engine size and badges which make them more difficult to spot. Some were fitted with hand controls; all had sliding seats and further opening front doors. Disabled Minors had the standard type plain door panels, and did not come with over riders."

So this one really does have a major identity issue. Doesn't tick any of the right boxes. My guess is cut and shut with a sprinkling of parts bin.
Good home offered for custom splittie
815APL

Post by 815APL »

Appreciate that you have probably 'walked away' from this 'mystery' vehicle by now. but for information, it was previously registered OAN 575, a registration sequence issued by West Ham County Borough Council from October 1958 to the early part of 1959 which ties in to the age details on the advert, and is quoted as having a 1098cc engine!!
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The point is though, that it wouldn't have been THAT car which was originally registered as OAN 575 in 1959 :wink:
Last edited by ManyMinors on Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr FH
Minor Friendly

Post by Dr FH »

I have walked away, as I did go and search for chassis number and unfortunately there are holes drilled in where number should be??? No way of obtaining original ID for car. Part of a body number visible but presume no use in identifying car???
But yes indeed it was OAN 575 and was registered Jan 1958 and reg was sold/transferred in 1998 and a colour change to black was recorded at around that time also, so maybe then that's about the time when it's ID appeared on the split screen... As ManyMinors said earlier maybe put onto an MOTable split screen to sell/transfer number from original car??
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Body number reveals model and approx build date - saves £s in search fees at Gaydon - additionally, provided they are original,and recorded on my database as LBO (Log Book Only, ID bought off ebay or similar),or ST (Stolen) they will be picked up!

Loads of "Ringers" about!

I also contacted vendor, nothing doing!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Dr FH
Minor Friendly

Post by Dr FH »

Body number Z 154912 can't make out the rest... and may not be original plate anyhow.
Vendor obviously wants rid of car but wrong to sell it on knowing what it is or Isn't!!
Original car OAN 575 was Dec 1958 Green with green interior 948cc.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Dr FH wrote:Body number Z 154912 can't make out the rest... and may not be original plate anyhow.
Vendor obviously wants rid of car but wrong to sell it on knowing what it is or Isn't!!
Original car OAN 575 was Dec 1958 Green with green interior 948cc.
c6/54 to 2/55 standard production 4dr - the first 3 digits of the actual body ID number would month date it.

Central speedo, so 10/54-2/55, narrows it down to 5mths I suppose.
Last edited by POMMReg on Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr FH
Minor Friendly

Post by Dr FH »

[frame]Image[/frame]
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Dr FH wrote:[frame]Image[/frame]
56***(?) c11/54
Dr FH
Minor Friendly

Post by Dr FH »

sadly not a better pic
Dr FH
Minor Friendly

Post by Dr FH »

[frame]Image[/frame]
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

POMMReg wrote:
The colour , which appears originallly to have been Smoke Blue, also ties in with that small time period.

Whoever carried out the identity change obviously knew about the stamped chassis number on the bulkhead to have handily drilled some holes there :x Unlikely anyone will be able to find the original ID of the car now.......
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

ManyMinors wrote:
POMMReg wrote:
The colour , which appears originallly to have been Smoke Blue, also ties in with that small time period.

Whoever carried out the identity change obviously knew about the stamped chassis number on the bulkhead to have handily drilled some holes there :x Unlikely anyone will be able to find the original ID of the car now.......
Longish job, would have to visit BMIHT, note all "Smoke Blue" 4drs - built between mths quoted - and contact DVLA for those which have been robbed of their original registration since the colour change.

Certainly,a time consuming one, but not impossible.
Dr FH
Minor Friendly

Post by Dr FH »

Very impressive that you can narrow it down with so little info!
So would that be: Smoke Blue Oct 1954 (290385) Feb 1955 (316731) used on Saloon/convertibles ?
Certainly would be a challenge to track it down.
If I was original owner of such a car that had disappeared then maybe....?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Dr FH wrote: So would that be: Smoke Blue Oct 1954 (290385) Feb 1955 (316731) used on Saloon/convertibles ?
Smoke Blue BU28 (Not to be confused with Smoke Grey BU15) was only used for a very short time for some reason.
It is more like the later Clipper Blue than any other Morris colour and was also offered on the Morris Cowley and Oxford models. It would appear from your photographs that this was likely the cars original colour.
SGTBILKO
Minor Fan

Post by SGTBILKO »

Dr FH
Minor Friendly

Post by Dr FH »

Yet again, for the 4th time of asking! Someone else has had a lucky escape.