Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Brian in Saudi
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Need advice on wheels and tyres

Post by Brian in Saudi »

I've just about got my 67 Traveller Jodie where I want her. Zapped up 1275 on a Toyota 5 speed, hardened halfshafts, front discs and servo, front antirollbar and telescopic shocks on each corner. The weakest link now seems to be the area of rubber on the road.

She's still on original wheels and crossplies, so it's possible to lock up all four under heavy braking and to detach the rear end when cornering hard- although it's quite recoverable with a bit of opposite lock. More pronounced in the wet of course. ( Don't worry. Figured all of this out in an empty private car park. No pedestrians were flattened.)

I prefer a roughly original look, so alloys are out. I've been considering Wellers:

http://www.wellerwheels.com/category-s/1817.htm

No slots, but cream paint and original hubcaps is at least a nod in the right direction. But what size tyres for best handling?

Won't fit in the spare wheel bin of course, so will have to use the original spare and limp home on mismatched wheels. Is that legal if all tyres are radials?

Another possibility is van wheels, if I can find any. Will these take tubeless radials? I've heard of people using tubes in tubeless radials, but can't that cause overheating and would it help stop the bead from popping off? Again, what size tyres?

This will be a vigorously but responsibly driven daily car, so handling is the main concern. I'm a biggish bloke so heavy steering when parking isn't a worry. Same with rolling diameter. I'm about to fit a GPS based Dakota Instruments speedo, so it doesn't need a cable. It's all about handling.

What have other members found works? Any regrets or disasters?

Brian
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: Need advice on wheels and tyres

Post by mike.perry »

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
175/80/13 tyres on 5 1/2 x 13 Midget? wheels. Same rolling radius as 155/80/14 tyres and smaller Series MM hubcaps fit. Does not look too out of place
[sig]3580[/sig]
Brian in Saudi
Minor Friendly

Post by Brian in Saudi »

mike.perry wrote:175/80/13 tyres on 5 1/2 x 13 Midget? wheels. Same rolling radius as 155/80/14 tyres and smaller Series MM hubcaps fit. Does not look too out of place
Interesting. I thought the earlier midgets had steels with round holes rather than slots, and the later ones Rostyles or wires.

Are they easy to come by? A quick look on eBay doesn't show much available.

Thanks for the info.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

esm do the wider van wheels in old english white
[sig]5641[/sig]
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

to answer your question on the legality of limping home on mismatching tyres..

yes it must be as many / most modern cars come with space savers. as you have pointed out you then have to drive home slowly 50mph is the normal limit due to the different tyres giving different grip \ braking rates
Brian in Saudi
Minor Friendly

Post by Brian in Saudi »

dalebrignall wrote:esm do the wider van wheels in old english white
Out of stock unfortunately.
Brian in Saudi
Minor Friendly

Post by Brian in Saudi »

Thanks all for the advice.

I guess what I really want to know is if it is worth it going to 5 1/2 rather than 4 1/2.

Noticeable difference or marginal?

I guess each vehicle must have an optimal width for best handling, rather than just bigger is better - or supercars would have four foot wide wheels :)
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I bought the wheels at a national rally a few years ago. I was informed that they were off a Spridget.
[sig]3580[/sig]
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I ran Abby as my everyday car for eight years on standard wheels and tubeless radials without any issues with grip or steering, she had a 1275 under the bonnet and vented discs too.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

a anti roll bar helps a lot
[sig]5641[/sig]
Brian in Saudi
Minor Friendly

Post by Brian in Saudi »

jagnut66 wrote:Hi,
I ran Abby as my everyday car for eight years on standard wheels and tubeless radials without any issues with grip or steering, she had a 1275 under the bonnet and vented discs too.
Best wishes,
Mike.
You're not the first person I've heard say they run tubeless radials on standard wheels without any problem.

I always thought they had no bead grip so the tyre could come off under heavy cornering (scary!).

Am I wrong?
BLOWNMM
Minor Fan

Post by BLOWNMM »

Standard Minor rims are 3 inch.
Bob
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

jagnut66 wrote:Hi,
Best wishes,
Mike.
A have also run my Minors with standard wheels and tubeless radials daily for over 40years without any problem whatsoever.
I'm an enthusiastic driver and don't slow down much for corners and had a 1275 Midget engine fitted for some years. I did for a while have the 4.5" steel wheels from an 8cwt van fitted with 165/80/14 tyres but although the car looked good with the larger wheels I really didn't notice much improvement in road behaviour except that the steering was heavier!
I have tried several different tyre makes in both 145/80/14 and 155/80/14 sizes over the years and find that the 145 width gives slightly better turn-in and better "feedback". There isn't much choice nowadays of different makes and I use Bridgestones currently which I am quite happy with. The 155/80/15 Nankang tyres are also a good tyre on the Minor particularly if you're looking for something less expensive. Personally I am less keen on the Toyo which I found rather soft.

I have never heard of any Minor owner experiencing a tyre "coming off" a rim and feel this is only likely to happen during hard cornering with a much underinflated tyre. Checking pressures should be carried out regularly of course.
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Weller 5 1/2 on mine. The hub cap can be fitted with small mod to the Weller pins, which are a little too large.[frame]Image[/frame]
John
Brian in Saudi
Minor Friendly

Post by Brian in Saudi »

Thanks to all for your advice.

I guess my main takeaway is not many people think using tubeless radials on original wheels is dangerous.

I'm going for the 5 1/2 J Wellers and will see how it goes. Still debating tyre size, but will probably go for sensible fit rather than biggest possible. Once I've got them a friend with van wheels on his car has offered to meet me at a suitable location, swap wheels and we'll both try them out and see which we feel are best. Should be interesting.
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Tyres (on the one pictured above) are Nixon 185/70 14, which seem ok.
One word of caution though--IF you have an LCB fitted then the N/S/F tyre just contacts the exaust on full left lock, which has never been a problem--yet. Lets face it it is only likely to happen whilst parking manoeuvring at low speed. As long as you remember not to park on full left lock :wink:
John
Brian in Saudi
Minor Friendly

Post by Brian in Saudi »

midget wrote:Tyres (on the one pictured above) are Nixon 185/70 14, which seem ok.
One word of caution though--IF you have an LCB fitted then the N/S/F tyre just contacts the exaust on full left lock, which has never been a problem--yet. Lets face it it is only likely to happen whilst parking manoeuvring at low speed. As long as you remember not to park on full left lock :wink:
Wow. That wasn't even on my radar. Not sure I would want even the remote possibility of a tyre touching or close to a hot exhaust when parked up.

Yes, I have a wide bore LCB. But I guess all LCBs are not created equal and it depends on the bend and routing. I'll have to take a look. What part of the tyre is touching? Would a lower profile avoid it on yours? I was considering 185/60R14 Pirellis although I guess in theory you could go as far as 195/40R14.

Time to take some measurements and maybe get out the mandrel and hammer :)