Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Budgie
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

engine paint, undercoat or not?

Post by Budgie »

Just as the title suggests, I will be painting the engine of my tourer once all the hard work on the gearbox and bits and pieces on the engine has been sorted out. So my query is , is there any need to use an undercoat before I use the paint which is being purchased from ESM or not and if so , which undercoat is best?
Matt Tomkins
Minor Addict
Location: Aston Clinton, Aylesbury, Bucks or Oxford during term time
MMOC Member: No

Re: engine paint, undercoat or not?

Post by Matt Tomkins »

Hi, Personally I dont tend to, so long as the surface is properly degreased, as the heat resistant paint is likely to peel if the primer isnt as heat resistant as the top coat.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46862234@N ... 671969048/
http://www.facebook.com/matttomkins

Misty, Morris Minor 2-door, 1970,
fully restored with the help of various of the young members to whom i am forever grateful. http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=43571
Also Mavis, 1960 Factory Tourer, and a '69 Traveller project: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=53487

Join the young owners at: https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/gr ... [sig]11392[/sig]
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

I bought my engine paint from esm. I really cleaned the engine up and used Mr muscle oven cleaner. Tho the engine was removed. Just painted it on straight from the tin. Tho removed any lose bits. It looks really good, even tho I brushed it on.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

I used the ESM paint without undercoat on the cast block and head, but primed the steel rocker cover, sump and timing cover. Took a very long time to dry in cold weather, particularly where I'd let it pool a bit in a couple of recesses. And I found that using carb cleaner spray a week or two after painting removed some of the paint from the cylinder head :(
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

So was the 250ml tin enough to do the whole lot and did you give it one or two coats?
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Not long bought some engine enamel off eBay, about £10 for 250 ml, for my Mini engine. Used about a third of it with two coats of the block (red) and an egg cup full to do the head (green) Need to find something else to paint now :)
I didn't use primer, washed the block down with various products (parrafin, detergent) and ended up giving it a final squirt of brake cleaner to get it really oil free.
Painted.jpg
Painted.jpg (33.35 KiB) Viewed 1767 times
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Lovely engine Panky :D .The best thing I have found is oven cleaner apply with a stiff brush leave overnight and jet wash in the morning it comes up brand new ready for paint .
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Budgie wrote:So was the 250ml tin enough to do the whole lot and did you give it one or two coats?
Used less than half the tin, just one coat, but will need to touch up where I washed it off with carb cleaner.

Interesting colour scheme Panky. Is the whole car in Eddie Stobart livery? :D
Attachments
DSCF9061.jpg
DSCF9061.jpg (145.14 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

So one tin is more than enough then, cool. Was hoping to start cleaning the engine tomorrow ready for painting after my brother-in-law had rebuilt the gearbox but I think I got sent the wrong bearing for the third motion shaft as it's narrower on the small race by 100 tho than the one that came out plus it didn't come with the spacer washer ! More time wasted again . :x
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Doesn't look quite so Eddie in the flesh but is is nice and bright - especially since the polished alloy rocker cover went on KAAAA-BLING 8)