Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tea
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

2017 Morris Prices

Post by Tea »

Reading through one of the classic car sales magazines this week I was surprised at the prices they quoted at condition class 'a1' (very good condition - although not at concours condition) and Morris Minors as a whole. An example being 948cc/ 1098cc saloons at £8000 and travellers at £12000. Personally I can't see many spending this kind of money on the cars, but maybe people do nowadays.
With these being fairly ordinary to come by what sort of price would Minor Millions, cheese grater pick-ups/ vans/ travellers be?
Nickol
Minor Addict

Re: 2017 Morris Prices

Post by Nickol »

It might be under the Motto of " give it a try and see what happens?"

I have seen a Traveller, which is a rare and much admired car here ( not that many know what it is) being advertised for €17 K . And then 6 months later being re-advertised again for the same Price. So obviously no takers.
Classic cars generally are considered to be in the current economic Situation a good Investment and better now than property.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
Monty-4
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Monty-4 »

I see a lot of geographic variation within the UK too. Prices were a lot higher when I lived down south!
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

I've just got back from yet another wasted journey to yet another chancer trying to get way too much for a traveller that needs a lot of money and work on her, and she was advertised as "very good condition restored with money lavished on her over the last eight years ...I think not ! :x
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

This is partly why I still haven't got a Minor yet after 18 months of looking - there's an awful lot of speculative pricing from dealers with cars that do not stand up to close inspection. I've seen cars at £3-4K that would need at least the same again spent on them to make properly roadworthy. That said I've missed out on good cars at the same money because I wasn't quick enough! Eventually I will find the right car at the right price in the right place! Cars are cheaper 'oop north' but few and far between
Good home offered for custom splittie
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

You only have to look at the silly prices being asked for some cars without an MOT or openly described as 'projects' to realise that some sellers think that we were born yesterday and that a classic car is a licence to print money!
I personally blame the investors and speculators who ruin it for the ordinary enthusiast in their quest to become even richer. I hope in the long run they get their fingers burned!
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

The same thing happened in the early eighties when all the yuppies were buying classic cars and selling their number plates and the prices shot up only to plummet some years later but the cars lost their identity !
Tea
Minor Fan

Post by Tea »

According to the magazine £3000 was what you should expect to pay for a fairly good example needing work. How much work I'm not sure and maybe this is why so many try to sell theirs at crazy prices. I guess a small amount of work to one with a lot of knowledge can be a huge amount to another with little.
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

TDV102 wrote:This is partly why I still haven't got a Minor yet after 18 months of looking - there's an awful lot of speculative pricing from dealers with cars that do not stand up to close inspection. I've seen cars at £3-4K that would need at least the same again spent on them to make properly roadworthy. That said I've missed out on good cars at the same money because I wasn't quick enough! Eventually I will find the right car at the right price in the right place! Cars are cheaper 'oop north' but few and far between
Having owned my car now for 4 years, I have done a few mods to it and kept it in good order. So if you bought a 4 door saloon with a full years mot at say £3500, what work would you be expecting to do to it to bring it up to your own standards?
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

IMHO at my budget of up to £4k I should be able to buy a 2 door saloon that is structurally sound, entirely roadworthy, but needing some cosmetic and trim improvement.
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

Wow at that budget I'd expect an awful lot more to be honest. :D
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

Wow at that budget I'd expect an awful lot more to be honest. :D
Well I admit a Cosworth motor or V8 Hemi would be nice...
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

TDV102 wrote:IMHO at my budget of up to £4k I should be able to buy a 2 door saloon that is structurally sound, entirely roadworthy, but needing some cosmetic and trim improvement.
I wouldn't expect to pay more than 2.5-3k for a 2 door of that description, it matches my cars description which is not for sale, but 3k would be about right in my opinion.
Where angels fear to tread
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

Just seen one online - looks excellent and the right price! Bet somone beats me too it thought. Fingers crossed.