Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Danhutch
MMOC Member: No

My First Morris

Post by Danhutch »

Hey there guys/girls,

Im looking to get my first morris as a rolling restoration if possible and had a few questions.

First of all, im a big bloke, 6ft4 and well built, will i fit in a standard minor (weird question i know) if not, has anyone moved the driver seat mounts back, and is this possible?

Also as far as the engine goes, are new parts still relatively readily available?

Also are there any common 'quality of life' changes to the vehicle to make it more reliable/drive-able as a daily car?

Thanks in advance for your help :D
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: My First Morris

Post by SteveClem »

You'll find it pretty snug but other tall people manage with it. Seats can be moved a certain amount. Most parts are easily found (for all but very early cars)but quality can be a bit 'iffy'. Always worth checking on here to get opinions on the best source of decent quality bits.
Good luck!
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Dan, I am 6'5" and rather wider than I was when I bought my 1957 4 door at the age of 17 in 1978. The earlerseats are rather more comfortable than the latter ones and I can drive long distances quite happily with the seat pushed back to its furthest. I have never needed to bodge or fettle it back any further. Is yours a 2 door or 4 door. The wider door aperture for the 2 door saloon/ traveller is better for the taller amongst us. Good luck with the restoration.

JM
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I'm 6 feet tall and mine has Newton Commercial seats, which are not fully back on the runners. I seem to have plenty of head room. I think standard seats are lower. Two door saloons and Travellers have wider doors than four doors and vans/pick ups.

There are lots of little improvements that can be made, like halogen lights, electric screen washers, two speed or intermittent wipers and heated rear windows.

Moving to bigger things, there are radius arms to keep the rear axle under better control, five speed gearboxes to allow lower RPM on faster roads and disc brakes. I've got servo assisted Marina brakes and find them better than drum brakes, whether standard or servo.

Engine and other bits all readily available (I think some 803 and side valve stuff is more difficult but you wouldn't be looking at these options and asking "Are there any common 'quality of life' changes to the vehicle to make it more reliable/drive-able as a daily car?") and if you want to get a bit more go, there is all the Mini and Spridget stuff available (Even if it's only twin carbs on a 1098). If you have a garage and are prepared to put in the effort, to keep it up to scratch, it's a good way to go motoring. Traveller is very useful but a saloon is less to maintain.
burnham28
Minor Fan

Post by burnham28 »

The seats can be moved back a bit as there are an extra set of holes where the seats bolt into the floor. They are captive nuts and its a simple job to relocate the bolts. I did it and my wife remarked what a difference an inch made.
[img]jpg[/img]
Danhutch

Post by Danhutch »

thanks for your input guys, much appreciated
Johnny
Minor Friendly

Post by Johnny »

Hi Dan,

Glad to hear you're thinking of getting a mog.

I'm 6'6" myself and have not trouble at all. The only thing I do do is I have a pair of converse type shoes for driving as I've got size 15 feet and used to catch the accelerator when braking sometimes. But this actually applies in any car for me.

The car is great fun to drive and you do tend to drive a bit more consciously in an old car than a modern one.

Good luck!
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

Hi all.

I'm 6' 4" and never had much of a problem. Not too much room behind the drver's seat, but I'm fine.

I do need to be careful with shoes. Big feet!

I did think of fitting a smaller steering wheel, but I've got used to it now and probably won't bother.

Drove back from Bristol to Norwich in one go recently, and no aches and pains.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.