How many people is it legal to carry in in Morris 1000

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
heaths
MMOC Member: No

How many people is it legal to carry in in Morris 1000

Post by heaths »

Ok, this might sound a daft question but...just finishing a re restoration of my minor and when she was on the road 15 years ago I didn't have children. I have two now !

So my question is do I have to fit seat belts in the back (I have inertial reel on both front seats) plus can a Morris 1000 legally carry 5 people? ie two adults up front 3 small (ish) people in the back.

Many thanks folks!
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Re: How many people is it legal to carry in in Morris 1000

Post by firedrake1942 »

As a former police officer (- and yes I' d agree with many of the comments posted re stolen minors - but you gets what you pay for unless you are v rich and can pay for it twice!) unless the vehicle was fitted with seat belts, you do not have to have them. If they are fitted they must be working to at least MOT standard and be used!. I had my old early sixties belts taken out at the last upgrade as they were frayed and airline type lift flaps no longer worked.

Having had kids - I think they are a must. Despite that fact that my mother regularly used to carry the massed ranks of my junior school in her 1952 tourer (17 was the record) you can, under the Construction and Use Regs, legally carry only such people as there are designed seats for. I think you would get away with two people in the back and at a pinch 3, I seem to recall publicity photos from Morris with 3 in the back, my registration document does say 4 seater tho ..... Its a question of safety really takes a long time to make and bring up a child, seconds to undo all that!
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

I wouldn't carry my grandchildren in the back of any car without seat belts fitted and is use,I also am a retired police officer having spent many years on traffic patrols,I have seen the aftermath of more traffic accidents than I care to remember. The problem you have is that although they can be fitted to the rear of a minor not sure if a centre belt in the rear is possible ,well not to a high enough standard.So you may have a problem with three in the back.
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

we once had 7 of us in my mates 55' split screen about 20 years ago on the way back from hammersmith palais after a night of boogying!

I guess that's uncool these days...
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

My kids refuse to let me take their little ones in any of my old cars! Times have changed. I just keep quiet about it, can't see much point in putting retrofit seatbelts in because they would still see them as inadequate.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Rear inertia reel belts for the outer two passenegers are easy to fit to saloons and Travellers. but you must ensure that the mounting points are sound - no p[oint in attaching a belt securely if the panel to which it is attached comes away from the rest of the car! A centre static lap belt is also easy to fit - not a perfect solution, but better than nothing. How easy they all are to use at the same time depends on the size of the passengers. Other threds have commented how in the old days even examiners were happy with orange boxes to sit on; but times have changed (quite rightly). On a college day trip to the seaside my old Traveller had the driver, two front seat passenegers, three rear seat, and two sideways on in the load area = 8, but we were younger, thinner and more flexible in those days.