Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rust bucket
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Unknown wheels

Post by Rust bucket »

These are 13 inch wide wheels I have on the front of my car, my problem is "what are they" I would like hub caps fitted but standard minor hub caps don't fit. Could be early Midget / Sprite / Hillman Imp / Vauxhall ?.... any ideas anyone.
Sorry, having trouble uploading picture
Last edited by Rust bucket on Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Unknown wheels

Post by philthehill »

If 13" diameter wheels they may be Marina.
What is the PCD.................wheel stud pitch.
Marina PCD is 3.75"

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

There are wheels about that will go onto Minor studs but careful examination will show the PCD is slightly different and this will tend to bend the studs, only slightly maybe but it stresses the studs and is dangerous. There may be some 13 inch wheels out there that fit but I'm not sure on that. You need to accurately measure the PCD on the studs and the wheels and make sure they match. Measure carefully as the difference can be slight.

Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

Still trying to get the picture up, not Marina as they go over the studs fine. All I can add to the description is they have three buttons which are riveted on to the wheel for hub cap retention.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Mk2/3 Sprite. Look identical but have small, flat mushroom shape 'pips' to hold the cap down?
Cardiff, UK
Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

Yes you are right, I believe now these are early Sprite wheels, thanks.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

If they are Sprite/Midget wheels then hubcaps from Austin A30/A35/A40 Farina will fit too. I had Mk1 Sprite wheels on one of my Minors and they suited it well. Make sure you fit the correct wheelnuts though. The taper is different to the Minor ones.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

My A30 wheels fit perfectly on the minors but they are about an inch or so smaller. Not driven the minors with them on though,just tried them one day because I was curious. And a bit sad,obviously.
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

I think early Minor hubcaps will fit the A30/Sprite wheels and can be obtained either plain or with the M in the middle.
It's Series MM type hubcap although the MM running gear (axle/ hubs etc) did linger on into early Series 2 Minors.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!