MMOC Van & Pickup Register

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
LouiseM
MMOC Member: No

Re: MMOC Van & Pickup Register

Post by LouiseM »

firedrake1942 wrote: I may be wholly wrong, but is this not the reason for the setting up of alternative fora?
It was set up by members /moderators from here during a period of down time here. For info, the members area here was set up so that members can raise the types of issues you refer to, outside of the open forum. As there are currently problems with some member's access to this area members have been asked in the meantime to contact the club office directly. Keeping club business and related discussions to club members only seems to be common practice on internet forums.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

All very well having "Club's" & "Register's", BUT, I cannot see what REAL purpose they serve unless someone WITHIN them is carrying out serious investigative research.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Useful yes,but hardly the real purpose, I'd say general help and advise was more important. Join in Chris, then you will be WITHIN and more influential, more so than being outside! :D

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

les wrote:Useful yes,but hardly the real purpose, I'd say general help and advise was more important. Join in Chris, then you will be WITHIN and more influential, more so than being outside! :D
Guess the idea of a MMOC van & pickup register is off the menu....
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Doesn't need to be...I agree with Les.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Chris, you make no response to being a member. You would be in a better position to influence if you joined, and with your extensive research, be the ideal candidate to get your idea up and running. I would also imagine there being certain information available to you.

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

The trouble on this forum is nobody of any authority can make any decisions or answer any important questions directly .I asked about an award in memory of Roy BMC nothing was even mentioned and the club didn't even send flowers :o .Roy was not a member but kept this forum lively and is sadly missed by most members and lots he helped .There was a post on the forum what do we want from the website and what did we get (answer) less than the old website so how is that progress .When you ring the office you don't get a straight answer its time the cucumber sandwich brigade did some thinking to what members want starting with a fully functioning better website :lol:
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I refer the honourable gentleman to my post about the club listening !!!! (or not).
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

irmscher wrote:The trouble on this forum is nobody of any authority can make any decisions or answer any important questions directly .
The webmaster Cam is the direct link between the messageboard and the committee - he's a committee member. However he can't be expected to read every post here so the best way to contact him with regards to your important questions is via pm.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

WHAT?

NO flowers FROM MMOC at Roy's funeral, THAT is UTTERLY DISGRACEFUL and the MMOC should hold their heads in shame!!!

This emphasises my point, the stainless steel wing bolt & cucumber sandwich brigade have NO respect, does it REALLY matter THAT much if someone SO helpful as Roy isn't a member, for the sake of £50 worth of flowers?
The fact he freely gave SO much help & advice to MMOC "members" would give him free membership in my view, without people like him, Club's are stuffed!
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Roy was a bit like marmite - some loved his comments and others stayed away from the messageboard because of them - and he was the first to admit (and later apologise for) the fact that some of his comments had rubbed people up the wrong way. One thing he never did though was make personal / rude comments about others - and he was the first to complain to the mods if anyone else here did - so I think it's a real shame that people are commenting about Roy here and at the same time making rude, personal, stereotypical, comments about others. Such comments are really not acceptable on this messageboard.

A message has previously been posted here to advise that Club secretary Ray Newell wrote to Roy's widow expressing condolences from the Club. Bereavement is a very personal thing so if Roy's family are happy with the response from the Club surely that is the most important thing?

For info, I received a pm from Cam this morning (completely unconnected to this thread, which he hadn’t seen) stating
The committee are planning on saying a few words at the National Rally about bmcecosse and acknowledging his contribution to the messageboard over the years.I have a few things that I'd like to say but I thought perhaps the moderators could just write a few words (nothing too much) about Roy and I'll compile it all together
This is needed by Friday so I shall be spending any spare time that I have this week drafting something to recognise Roy’s input here. Incidently, knowing Cam I really don’t think that he eats cucumber sandwiches.

Irmscher – Rather than posting numerous posts on here criticising the Club perhaps you could put your energies into doing something a bit more constructive? Cam has advised me today that thought has been given to creating an award in Roy’s memory but the issue is who would it be awarded to? If you are serious about this being taken forward please start a separate thread providing some suggestions about what you would like the award to be presented for (maybe for most helpful messageboard contributor?) and how this award could be managed eg should messageboard members ‘vote’ for a winner, if it is open to all messageboard users (club member or not) how would the award be presented, when would it be awarded? etc. A separate thread will enable all messageboard members to put forward their views about the suggestion of an award – allowing a decision to be made based on the majority view - and all constructive comments will be considered.

Thank you

Eric - 1971 Traveller
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I think Louise makes a lot of sensible points. We all have gut reactions to events and have opinions.
Now the Roy thing is interesting, I grew to appreciate him deeply and exchanged many personal messages latterly. I'm sure that he wouldn't mind me sharing that we discussed that he nearly made me give up on this forum because in my ignorance of technical issues. I got several shotgun barrels. But once I got over that and got to understand him a little better it was fine.
He was,I think, a lovely man with a limited tolerance for those with little knowledge,unless they learned quickly!
Remember him as he was,and use his amazing legacy on this site. I'm sure that's the most enduring tribute that we can pay to him.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Like Marmite I think that is a disgraceful thing to say about someone who is no longer here.I certainly don't like being patronised telling me to put my energy into something constructive I have been there and worn many t shirts.I think in the case of Roy its too little too late and should not have been had to be prompted!
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Trouble at t'mill!
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

I used the term 'like marmite' as it is one that Roy used here, and he loved marmite. Sorry if you feel that me looking at Roy in an affectionate way, using a phrase that he used himself, is disgraceful.

As for an award, it's not a case of 'being prompted'. You posted on 8th May to ask "is there going to be a trophy in memory of Roy" and I have advised you that it has been considered but the issue is who would it be awarded to? Roy was not one to join car clubs and he never attended a national rally but was more than happy to share his knowledge on internet forums (not just this one). It therefore seems only right that it is the messageboard members who should decide how best they want to remember him. Some like Steve Clem would rather remember Roy as he was, with the posts here remaining as his 'legacy', whereas you would like a trophy to be issued. If you don't wish to provide any more input that's your choice but the option is there to any other messageboard members who would like a trophy/award to be issued to start a new thread and put forward their thoughts about how best to take this forward.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Well, I AM certainly concidering joining the MMOC and, quite possibly the "How to correctly spell Concidering Club" too...

Won't renew subs for "Big & Bouncy" next time.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Louise Roy was a committed vegetarian and wouldn't of touched marmite .I think you may be on about a post months ago but he loved the car not marmite :lol:
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Roy was definitely referring to the product (not the Minor with the same name). It's approved by the vegetarian society - maybe you are confusing it with Bovril which has beef extract? :D

Eric - 1971 Traveller
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I took it to mean the ad tag i.e. you either love or hate it ! I thought Bovril was the beef one, Marmite the yeast one and Vegemite as strange veggie concoction from down-under
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Back to the topic.....

Have received a couple of pm"s expressing interest, need about half a dozen before I commit to owt!