Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

MMOC Van & Pickup Register

Post by POMMReg »

Any MMOC members interested in assisting with this?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
smithskids
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: MMOC Van & Pickup Register

Post by smithskids »

Hi Chris, what are you looking for?
Regards Iain.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Ideally an "Interest Circle" of sorts, around 20 years in production - first 10yrs are not THAT accurate, the last 10, sketchy at most.

Essentially, a "Group" of ardent, die-hard LCV fanatics whom are keen to take their passion that little bit further than most.

The LCV Register are good at what they do, but regrettably have no interest in the "number crunching" side of things, which is essential in this game.

Anyone wishing to set up something, please let me know.
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Hi Chris,

It's not clear from your post whether you've been in touch with the Club about this yet, but if you are proposing to start a new 'MMOC register' please contact the Club first before setting anything up. No problem with you (as a non-Club member) setting something up yourself and asking for help from messageboard members but it could cause confusion/problems if you are calling something an MMOC register when it isn't.

Thanks,
Lou

Eric - 1971 Traveller
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Prefer for a MMOC member to take the lead, whilst I take a backseat assisting them.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Why not just join the club mate? Costs about 5 pints of beer a year. :D
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well maybe 6 pints ! The subs have gone up. :o

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

soon to be one of the most expensive clubs to join :roll:
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

What are you basing that comment on Irmscher? I just did a quick Google search on membership fees for a variety of British classic car clubs and the MMOC fees were cheaper than most eg MG £47, Morris Register £34.50, P6 Rover £30, Austin A30 £30. Yes, there will be some cheaper club membership fees out there but to state that the MMOC is "soon to be one of the most expensive clubs to join" seems to be a bit of sweeping statement unless you have some facts to back it up?

To go back to the original topic, there is quite a bit of responsibility/commitment required to be a club Registrar so anyone interested in setting up a new Register should contact the club office to find out what's involved.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
millerman
Minor Addict

Post by millerman »

[quote="LouiseM"]What are you basing that comment on Irmscher? I just did a quick Google search on membership fees for a variety of British classic car clubs and the MMOC fees were cheaper than most eg MG £47, Morris Register £34.50, P6 Rover £30, Austin A30 £30. Yes, there will be some cheaper club membership fees out there but to state that the MMOC is "soon to be one of the most expensive clubs to join" seems to be a bit of sweeping statement unless you have some facts to back it up?

I've not researched the more expensive car clubs but maybe those clubs offer more member benefits?
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I wonder if the more members the cheaper the subs would/should be, I presume all clubs provide a magazine and other literature which would be more costly to provide but again should be offset by the extra subs gained. What is the formula for arriving at a figure?

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Louise is right, the A30 club is a few pounds dearer. And the benefits of membership are much the same. Both good value for money in my opinion.
I think that in years to come clubs will need to merge as the cars get rarer and the enthusiasts gradually move on too.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I think there're good points made here and perhaps commonality of manufacturer (with parts, ethos, period etc in common) rather than simply marque might, in time, be a way forward with much to be gained in terms of back office economies, common computer and admin systems, muscle to be flexed with parts suppliers, restorers and service providers.

That said, this club is immeasurably bigger and in many ways better than the one I joined in 1978/9. That may have something to do with this type of forum where expertise and experience is readily available. However size isn't everything (Yes, I know !) and there is a far more impersonal feel about it, especially at National level. It is, and seems, remoter and more of a business and less of a club to the point where I (and others) wonder sometimes who it is run for. I suppose better in the tent 'looking' out........

PS can I please have an answer on whether I can have my original membership number of 1054 back?
Smithy1961
Minor Fan

Post by Smithy1961 »

As a new member .......
I have found it a bit expencive but so far worth it .
The technical help side needs a bit more moderation but on the whole it seems a worthwhile membership money wise.

It would need to expand somewhat to keep up with other sites but Im sure it could.
austerdriver
Minor Friendly

Post by austerdriver »

Thought this thread was for van & pickup register? :D
Maybe not! :wink:
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

East Yorks Thoroughbred classic car club is £20 per annum monthly magazine and free entry to many events etc: :D
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Louise I knew you would comment obviously you chose the more expensive ones .I stated soon to be !maybe members get a lot more for there money in some clubs including an up to date website etc ,maybe you could tell me how I benefit from being a member please.Chris can start a register there is nothing to stop him and the club should have done this years ago
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Most Club's - however well intentioned - descend into a form of an Animal Farm scenario, which I hate.
Clubs should be fun, enjoyable & its owners happy & eager to help each other. I VERY rarely see this, additionally, Club's get taken over by "official" types who's sole interest seems to be making things clinical and impersonal.

All this bo&&ocks just gets in the way of what we're all here for. I MAY have my faults - okay, if I'm honest,probably quite a few - but I enjoy what I do and if I can inject a bit of humour here and there to make fellow enthusiasts smile, it great fun!

As Lee says, a MMOC van & pickup register should have been set up years ago, must have explained the cab numbering system to the LCV Club at least 20 times....and yet they STILL cannot get to grips with it....
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

POMMReg wrote: As Lee says, a MMOC van & pickup register should have been set up years ago, must have explained the cab numbering system to the LCV Club at least 20 times....and yet they STILL cannot get to grips with it....
There was previously a club Series 2 LCV Register, which was run for many years. And there is already a (non-MMOC) LCV Register, which the club has good links to, but as previously mentioned, there is nothing to stop you forming your own Register Chris if you feel that there is enough demand for another one. Likewise, if any club members have an interest in starting one please contact the Club to discuss.

Obviously you have a big interest in vehicle numbers but not being a club member (or LCV Register member) and asking MMOC members to set up a Register whilst you 'number crunch' in the background isn't going to provide you with access to members vehicle details due to data protection issues. I'm pretty sure that you would need to be a club member to join a club register too. Also, you've made it clear that you are collecting vehicle data with a view to publishing a book and club held data certainly wouldn't be released for that purpose either. It's entirely your choice whether you join a club or not but you're welcome to continue to contribute to the club messageboard, as are other non-club members. And as a reminder, if anyone has any issues with the services provided by the club please contact the club directly rather than use this messageboard. As Chris says, clubs should be fun, enjoyable, with members happy and eager to help each other and I'm sure that the majority here would want that from the messageboard so please bear that in mind when posting. Thank you.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Louise. I appreciate much of what you say and the loyalty to the club. The club is the sum of its members and whether or not the views expressed on the forum represent the majority, they are, or at least, appear heartfelt from a section however large or small of that club membership.

The advice to take issues up with HQ is of course, in theory, sound, but as a former senior member of a large public service organisation, I am well aware that many of what may be described as the rank and file, NEVER want to do this. My own experience (Rosie Hamilton aside) of communicating with HQ is not a particularly fruitful one.

The club potentially does itself and its members a significant disservice if it does not take the opportunity to take the temperature of its membership through such fora as this and far from taking discussion away from the forum (potentially this can be seen as an attempt at censorship) should encourage, capture and act upon it where appropriate, for the benefit of all members.

In this way, the forum is a necessary safety valve, in the way that some organisations use anonymous hotlines to report issues and garner ideas, for members who may feel that they are not being listened to. I may be wholly wrong, but is this not the reason for the setting up of alternative fora?

Just a thought !