Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
A-Series Spares
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Your Favourite Roads, Trips, Car Holidays etc

Post by A-Series Spares »

Hello everyone,
We have had quite a few people visiting us asking for nice places to drive and visit around us. We know lots of nice places for weekend visits and fun drives around the Derbyshire area, As we are based in Ilkeston we are fairly central, with many nice places around us.
It got us thinking though, We are hoping that some of you could help us by sharing your trips on our page for others to see, This would be a great help for many Classic car owners looking for a nice drive out. If you include any pictures you have, If you do not mind them people on the website that would be magic but we can also print them off to have them on display so people get great ideas.
Thankyou in advance for your help,

If you are happy to share with us could you please follow the link, We are looking forward to reading all about your days out.

https://shop.aseriesspares.co.uk/classi ... rive-them/
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Re: Your Favourite Roads, Trips, Car Holidays etc

Post by ampwhu »

just driven from county meath down to county Waterford in southern Ireland.

wow.
A-Series Spares
Minor Friendly

The driving roads over in S.Ireland are supposed to be very scenic :)

Would you consider writing a short text of the journey and some pictures? :)
Minor Fan

Post by 1000179 »

A303
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Route 66 oh isn't this one of those games ? Oops
Minor Fan

Post by 1000179 »

BBC iPlayer programme about A303.. hosted by a Morris traveller... oh and the man driving it!
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

That was really good , about the old roads and byways.
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

B1257 Stokesley - Helmsley road and Sutton Bank a.k.a. 'The Helmsley Grand Prix'. But not on Sundays when insane bikers scare the bejesus out of you. Plod love this road sadly.

Buttertubs pass between Hawes and Muker. Go from Hawes side so your passenger can be scared by the drop on the left side!

Masham to Middleham Road (including Ice Cream stop at Brymor Farm).

Mallerstang and Tan Hill

Kettlewell to Leyburn road - has a wicked double bend on a 1 in 4 hill, great limestone scenery.

Kepwick to Hawnby drovers road ( an unclassified 'unsuitable for motors' road). If you try this one your suspension needs to be in top order and car structurally sound, the views are fabulous and unspoilt. If your car is lowered, it'll take the sump off.
Good home offered for custom splittie
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

A-Series Spares wrote:The driving roads over in S.Ireland are supposed to be very scenic :)

Would you consider writing a short text of the journey and some pictures? :)
I would if I did it again. I was working over there last week and kind of had to get from A to B as quick as possible. I left Meath at around 19:00 and arrived in Waterford around 21:40. I only really had the chance to view it at 'speed'. I drove through Dublin, Kildare, Wicklow, Carlow, Kilkenny and then Waterford. then when getting the ferry back, through Wexford. lovely part of the globe.

I am due to finish the job over there in around 6 weeks time so will try and gain some more info.
A-Series Spares
Minor Friendly

1000179 wrote:BBC iPlayer programme about A303.. hosted by a Morris traveller... oh and the man driving it!
I will have a look for that :)
A-Series Spares
Minor Friendly

TDV102 wrote:B1257 Stokesley - Helmsley road and Sutton Bank a.k.a. 'The Helmsley Grand Prix'. But not on Sundays when insane bikers scare the bejesus out of you. Plod love this road sadly.

Buttertubs pass between Hawes and Muker. Go from Hawes side so your passenger can be scared by the drop on the left side!

Masham to Middleham Road (including Ice Cream stop at Brymor Farm).

Mallerstang and Tan Hill

Kettlewell to Leyburn road - has a wicked double bend on a 1 in 4 hill, great limestone scenery.

Kepwick to Hawnby drovers road ( an unclassified 'unsuitable for motors' road). If you try this one your suspension needs to be in top order and car structurally sound, the views are fabulous and unspoilt. If your car is lowered, it'll take the sump off.
That is quite the list :)

I will google map some of it and maybe plan a trip later this summer :)
busguy
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by busguy »

Roads I really enjoyed;
Ashbourne - Buxton A515, and Buxton - Whalley Bridge A5004. Derbyshire
Greenfield - Saddleworth Moor - Holmfirth A635, and A6024 Holmfirth south past Holme Moss to join the A628. Mostly Yorkshire, but a bit of Greater Manchester and Derbyshire at either end.
In both cases I had to use these roads frequently to get to my job, but I never tired of them as I found they were a really good drive. Snow could be a bit of a dampener though!
My other gem I always enjoy is the A4212 Bala to Trawsfynydd in Snowdonia, when travelling to and from Abersoch for holidays.
A-Series Spares
Minor Friendly

busguy wrote:Roads I really enjoyed;
Ashbourne - Buxton A515, and Buxton - Whalley Bridge A5004. Derbyshire
Greenfield - Saddleworth Moor - Holmfirth A635, and A6024 Holmfirth south past Holme Moss to join the A628. Mostly Yorkshire, but a bit of Greater Manchester and Derbyshire at either end.
In both cases I had to use these roads frequently to get to my job, but I never tired of them as I found they were a really good drive. Snow could be a bit of a dampener though!
My other gem I always enjoy is the A4212 Bala to Trawsfynydd in Snowdonia, when travelling to and from Abersoch for holidays.
I know some of those roads very well!
Especially the Buxton A515, beautiful :)

If any of you have any pictures of your cars on these roads OR just pictures of your cars to accompany a bit of text that would be brilliant and we can add them to the "Classic Cars and Where to Drive them" section to help people planning routes and fun days out in their classics :)
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

I have always loved going over the horseshoe pass A542 Llangollen, The views winter to summer and night to day were always great, Never done it in my minor but i think a good clutch and a service may be needed. I used to drive over it about 35 years ago when i passed my test in my beetle, The Ponderosa cafe used to a nice stop off although i have not been that way in ages i wonder if it has changed much. :roll:

ferret76
Minor Fan
Location: MMOC Tropical Research Division Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia

Post by ferret76 »

This won't be helpful to you folks in the UK (unless you come for a visit), but my favourite driving road trip is one that I take with my son every year. We leave Darwin and head down the Stuart Highway to a spot called Coomalie Creek to mark VJ Day (or Victory in the Pacific to use it's more politically correct name) which we commemorate on the second weekend in August. Coomalie Creek was a WWII strip hosting 31 SQDN RAAF (Beaufighters) and 87 SQDN RAAF (Photo Recon Mosquitos and P-38 Lightnings). My grandfather was attached to 31 SQDN as a wireless operator. The airfield was used to mount raids into the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia) and Timor and to generally harass Japanese forces in the area. The airfield itself was attacked by the Japanese half a dozen times. The last combat mission from Australian soil was flown from Coomalie Creek by an 87 SQDN Mosquito, on it's return it taxied off the end of the strip, the crew got out and then set the aircraft on fire in a 'Viking Funeral'. The remains of that aircraft can still be seen as well as a few other wrecked aircraft from crashes or due to enemy action.
The trip is only 85 kms and the Moggy does it easily. A few others drive in but the best part is the fly-in. On the Saturday afternoon we are most often joined by a Harvard Trainer, a Yak of some description, an AN-2 ( a massive Russian Biplane, think double decker bus with wings), Tiger Moth, Pitts Special and a variety of other light aircraft. We even had a bloke arrive in a gyrocopter last year. I think he spent most of the evening picking bugs out of his teeth. All spend the afternoon flying about, aerobatics etc. The Saturday night is a concert by a local folk group called The Fettlers who have a huge repertoir of WWII songs about service in the RAAF, which you'd have to admit is probably a niche market, commercially speaking. I take time with my son, who is 8 this year, we walk the runway after dark and talk about what happened there during the war. he is always interested to hear what his Great Grandfather did there during his war. I give him a celestial navigation lesson (stars in the bush are something to behold) and after that we talk about the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy usually. There is more flying the next day. We take his metal detector into the bush and find the anti aircraft emplacements where there is still copious quantities of spent shells to be found. A quick lesson in day navigation and bush tucker before lunch. Then we break camp, pack the Moggy and head home.
My son mentioned to me yesterday that it is going to be time to go to Coomalie soon. I can't wait.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

The A827 and A821 from Aberfoyle to Kilmahog, brilliant. Not driven it in a Minor but it's a hoot in a Mini 8)
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

This was a bit exceptional..........and I wouldn't try it again!
Several years ago, I decided to take my then girlfriend for a trip in a grey 1956 1000 four-door down a Cornish lane marked 'unsuitable for vehicles'........no, I don't really know why...... :-?
At first, it didn't seem too bad.....
2017-04-11 13.36.38.jpg
2017-04-11 13.36.38.jpg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 4140 times
Then things started looking a bit suspect....
2017-04-11 13.39.30.jpg
2017-04-11 13.39.30.jpg (2.66 MiB) Viewed 4140 times
It got worse.....I began thinking we were likely going to need a farmer to pull us out!
2017-04-11 13.40.14.jpg
2017-04-11 13.40.14.jpg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 4140 times
There was a stream to negotiate at the bottom.......
2017-04-11 13.44.26.jpg
2017-04-11 13.44.26.jpg (2.78 MiB) Viewed 4140 times
Fortunately the way back up wasn't so bad.....
2017-04-11 13.52.11.jpg
2017-04-11 13.52.11.jpg (2.57 MiB) Viewed 4140 times
At last we reached the top where an elderly couple did a double take when we emerged back on to a 'proper' road! Relief!
2017-04-11 13.57.25.jpg
2017-04-11 13.57.25.jpg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 4140 times
I think it would have been impossible driving in the reverse direction as the way we came down was so very steep and rocky.
Happy days! :D
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Have you still got a sump ? / Girlfriend ?
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Car and girlfriend emerged unscathed. Sadly the car was written off by a white van man a couple of years later. :evil: That girlfriend long gone (but still alive! :lol: )
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

hi firedrake this is our answer to usa 66 see http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trave ... world.html did this trip last year west to east in my 23 foot motorhome,some roads ,single with passing places.but never a problem,been all over Europe and uk ,consider this is the best,and will be back later this year to do it east to west.