Tyre advice needed

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)
MMOC Member: Yes

Tyre advice needed

Post by BrianHawley »

Okay, I'm getting some 4 1/2 Js for Jodie to replace the original 3 1/2s.

Should I go for 155s or 165s?

What do you think guys?
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Re: Tyre advice needed

Post by SteveClem »

I was told 165's are unsafe unless you have van rims. :-?
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

155s run just fine. :D

BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

Thanks guys.

These are van rims - or at least the same size.

I'm looking to optimise grip rather than appearance or simply having something that is ok.

At the moment I have front discs, a front arb and vertical shocks all round. The limiting factor on handling (without spending an arm and a leg on five-link and coil-overs) seems to be the area of rubber on the road.

I'm aware that 155x14, 165 or 175 can be fitted safely (per most tyre/wheel charts). I've even seen bigger.

But what these charts don't tell you is what size optimises grip and handling.

At first glance it might appear that bigger is better as it increases the footprint of rubber on the road. But a bigger tyre to rim ratio lets the tyre flex more from side to side on the rim. Too big and you end up driving a jelly on springs.

So what's the best trade off? From my mini days I'm guessing it's about 165.

Anyone here got van rims and tried this? What did you think?
Brian

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

I think the make of tyre you choose will have much more effect on grip than a marginal difference in size. I've had "van" wheels on my Minor in the past fitted with 165 section tyres but honestly it didn't hold the road any better than standard wheels and tyres and I later sold them. There isn't a great deal of choice of tyres available in standard sizes anymore but maybe more choice exists with a 165 so that could be an advantage?
With a 155 section you're probably restricted to Toyos (which I didn't rate very highly on my car) and Nangkang which I have now and seem fine. I have 145 section Bridgestones on my other Minor and they suit it even better.
BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

ManyMinors wrote:I think the make of tyre you choose will have much more effect on grip than a marginal difference in size. I've had "van" wheels on my Minor in the past fitted with 165 section tyres but honestly it didn't hold the road any better than standard wheels and tyres and I later sold them. There isn't a great deal of choice of tyres available in standard sizes anymore but maybe more choice exists with a 165 so that could be an advantage?
With a 155 section you're probably restricted to Toyos (which I didn't rate very highly on my car) and Nangkang which I have now and seem fine. I have 145 section Bridgestones on my other Minor and they suit it even better.
Thanks for the info.

I was thinking of 165 Bridgestones. I've got Bridgestones on my Nismo Altima at the moment and very happy with them.
Brian

IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

I've found 165/70/14s work quite well on van rims. The reduction in profile makes the handling less squishy and as responsive as a 145 on a standard rim. Plenty of choice on makes too.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

IaininTenbury wrote:I've found 165/70/14s work quite well on van rims. The reduction in profile makes the handling less squishy and as responsive as a 145 on a standard rim. Plenty of choice on makes too.
Thanks Iain.

Useful to know.

Any particular brand you like, and did you use tubes with them?
Brian

The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

I bought 4 new bridgestones a month back, not used them but I wouldnt trust anything Chinese or far eastern so it was the only choice for me. They look fine on the standard wheels, the cross-plies went in the bin.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Aren’t Bridgestones japanese?
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Owned in Japan I believe but about 50 factories all round the world.
I would guess most big brands have factories in Europe.

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

I have 145x14 Bridgestones on Max. They've not done many miles but have been on the car for quite a few years. They show absolutely no sign of deterioration (cracking between the treads or on the sidewalls etc). I'm frankly quite impressed with them. :)
1956 4-door called Max
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I have 155 Toyos on van wheels, these are okay (a bit flexible and vague) but when I went for a ride in a friend's Morris on 165s I could feel the car was noticably more stable and 'planted' (even with big sidewalls to compensate for 13" rostyles).

The Toyos refuse to wear out after 15,000 miles so I have no excuse to change them, they're very good in that respect.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Those Pirellis do look the part. I was sad when my last pair of old ones got too old to use, so definitely an option I'll explore again.
I've only used bigger sizes 155s etc to try and get a better visual look from the side of tyre filling the wheel arch but thsn if looks were all that mattered I'd be buying crossplys....
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I think a club discount with Longstone is in order!
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

Dougal Cawley wrote:This drives better because it has a carcass that is more suited to an old car. The handling is the most important consideration. we want them to drive right.
Where did you get that gem of wisdom? Seriously, I really hope you are right and im not for a moment implying otherwise but id be interested to know what you base this on.

By the way, I think it is a much nicer looking tyre so i'm really not doubting, just curious.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

If I remember correctly, cinturato tyres had softer than usual sidewalls, no idea if that's the thinking behind the suggestion.

faversham999
Minor Fan

Post by faversham999 »

I have 2 Bridgestone 145 x14 all over the place side walls to soft for sale 2 Bridgestone Tyres

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I would try fitting 4. It's pretty hard to judge a tyre on a car if you only fit half a set. What have you got fitted at the other end? I fitted a set of Bridgestones to my Traveller to replace the previous Toyo tyres which I didn't rate. Transformed the car which drives very well on the Bridgestones. Very happy with them :).
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Dougal Cawley wrote:I have a set of standard wheels fitted with a set of the new Pirelli 145R14 Cinturato tyres. Any of you are welcome to come and fit them on your car and drive it round the block and test them.

We may need you to leave your wife in our wife creche as a form of security while you try them.
Be careful what you offer! For some, that might be a VERY tempting swap and you might never see your tyres again :lol: