Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Glove box restoration

Post by Mark Wilson »

I've been posting various queries and responses here for nearly six years while restoring my Traveller (I don't like to rush things...), but I haven't set up a resto thread as I've always thought others are far better qualified to demonstrate their skills.

But now I think I may have joined the ranks of the true pioneers of Minor restoration :D - I've managed what I think is a decent restoration of my glove box liners with a technique all of my own (I think...)

The liners were basically sound, just a bit distorted, but the flock surfaces were very soiled and stained. I tried cleaning with various products, and although they improved they didn't come up to the standard I was looking for.

So I researched various ways of renewing the lining, including spraying new flock, before settling on flock faced Fablon, stone colour, which I bought online. I first straightened the cardboard by damping and ironing. I then made paper templates, which is quite tricky as the liners are a less regular shape than they look and used these to cut the Fablon to shape. It's sticky enough to grip to the original flock, but not ridiculously so like some products, so accurate positioning is possible, although not without appropriate swearwords. Younger members will probably find it easier, but I was a couple of years too old to be a regular Blue Peter viewer :-?

I think the end result is comparable to new boxes, and £9 of material in comparison to £70 for a new pair! 8)

Haven't worked out how to position photos in the text, but I think every picture tells a story...
Attachments
DSCF9644.JPG
DSCF9644.JPG (144.57 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
DSCF9643.JPG
DSCF9643.JPG (122.7 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
DSCF9657.JPG
DSCF9657.JPG (108.73 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
DSCF9660.JPG
DSCF9660.JPG (166.26 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
DSCF9648.JPG
DSCF9648.JPG (171.83 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
DSCF9649.JPG
DSCF9649.JPG (119.8 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
DSCF9650.JPG
DSCF9650.JPG (148.36 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
DSCF9652.JPG
DSCF9652.JPG (132.23 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
DSCF9655.JPG
DSCF9655.JPG (114.95 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
DSCF9658.JPG
DSCF9658.JPG (96.39 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
don58van
Minor Addict

Re: Glove box restoration

Post by don58van »

Well done Mark!!

They came up really well.

The best of Moggy spirit -- determination, ingenuity and skill.

Don
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

Looks a very nice job.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
GeordieDave
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by GeordieDave »

That's flocking fantastic :lol:
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
That looks very good indeed.
Are you able to post up a link to the flock faced material you used?
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Post by woodiesenfrance »

We renovated the gloveboxes on my 2 door saloon in the 1980s by sloshing Dulux emulsion around in them!
I think we diluted it first but I can't remember.
It worked - and the car achieved Masters Class status in MMOC Concours :D
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Thanks for the positive comments! I haven't fitted the glove boxes yet, so can't report how they perform in use. The Fablon (actually I don't think it actually is Fablon, despite the ad, as it doesn't have the squared pattern on the backing sheet) came from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stone-Self-Ad ... 2cb09a48fe. I ordered one metre, which was ok, but you need to plan your cutting very carefully indeed. One and a half metres would be advisable, but the ebay form only allows full metres. You could try ringing them, though - I've dealt with this company on the phone in the past, for something completely different, and they were very helpful.

Mary - I did think of spraying a watery emulsion paint before I found the Fablon. I think you must lose the velvety feel, though - very tactile! :)
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Post by woodiesenfrance »

I stuff things in my glove boxes rather than spend time fondling them, so any lack of texture would hardly be a problem for me!
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

They look downright luxurious now! Nice work.

For the outside of mine I used some POR-15 I had lying around that was about to expire which made them much more resistant to the inevitable water coming in under the windscreen.
Gabriel
BaldyTone
Minor Friendly

Post by BaldyTone »

Well done Mark,
I wouldn't have believed anyone could put that unwieldy stuff on so well, well done you.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Thanks for the positive comments! I haven't fitted the glove boxes yet, so can't report how they perform in use. The Fablon (actually I don't think it actually is Fablon, despite the ad, as it doesn't have the squared pattern on the backing sheet) came from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stone-Self-Ad ... 2cb09a48fe. I ordered one metre, which was ok, but you need to plan your cutting very carefully indeed. One and a half metres would be advisable, but the ebay form only allows full metres. You could try ringing them, though - I've dealt with this company on the phone in the past, for something completely different, and they were very helpful.
Thanks for the link.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)