Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
acmsb
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Radio!

Post by acmsb »

Hello everyone

The radio in my Morris Traveller 1098 (1969) is gone and I would like to put in a new one, potentially with new speakers as well. The plan would be to put it centrally under the parcel bar in front of the gear stick.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to any particular makes/models which suit Morris Travellers? Plus location/type of speakers?

All and any thoughts are welcome (I am new to this!)

Thank you!

Alex
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Re: Radio!

Post by IslipMinor »

I have not fitted a radio in a Minor, but the first thing to check is the battery polarity. Older radios could be positive earth, but modern ones will be negative earth - which is yours?
Richard

acmsb
Minor Friendly

Post by acmsb »

Hi Richard

Thanks for your help. She's a negative earth!

Does that mean a modern radio will be ok?
twincamman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by twincamman »

Any car radio/stereo you buy today will be negative earth. I'm not sure how much you want to spend. but if you want something that looks in keeping with the car, have a look here:-
https://shop.aseriesspares.co.uk/produc ... ead-units/
parkview094
Minor Friendly

Post by parkview094 »

If the car doesn't have a hole drilled somewhere for an Aerial, perhaps consider a DAB radio? We fitted one under the parcel shelf which, although not very 'in-keeping' can easily be removed in the future if desired. The Aerial is a stick-on type attached to the front windscreen which works really well and is almost invisible.
Speakers we've fitted in the side panels of the front foot-wells. There is just about enough depth to install something discrete yet workable. It's not going to win any awards for sound quality, but is perfectly good for listening to the radio whilst driving..
A-Series Spares
Minor Friendly

Post by A-Series Spares »

Just a little bit of input too. Alot of people seem to be moving to music on USB or just plugging a phone into the radio to carry their music. This has meant that the radios do not have to be built with CD drives, making the unit considerably smaller and quite a bit cheaper.

If CD is not something that is important to you it helps with installation as the units are not so deep (front to back)

The Retro radios linked above are a nice quality too.
acmsb
Minor Friendly

Post by acmsb »

Hi guys! That's super helpful thank you! V good point re CDs-all my music is now on my phone!

It had never occurred to me that a DAB wouldn't need a conventional aerial-I love the idea of something just attached to the windscreen! Can I ask what kind of speakers you have?
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

Ive seen posts elsewhere on this site recommending this type of aeriel https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/400097026079

Which is put behind the dash. I've not tried it yet so can't say how well it works, just posted this as a possible solution.
A-Series Spares
Minor Friendly

Post by A-Series Spares »

GavinL wrote:Ive seen posts elsewhere on this site recommending this type of aeriel https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/400097026079

Which is put behind the dash. I've not tried it yet so can't say how well it works, just posted this as a possible solution.
They may have gotten better but I have found any sort of aerial that goes behind the dash in a classic struggles. The Morris is like a little tank and getting reception seems difficult. The windscreen ones work nicely as do ones that fit on the dash for GPS etc.

However like i said, they may have gotten better :)
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

I've been told that the windscreen aerials won't work with heated screens, which is a bit of a b***er as I've carefully welded up the wing aerial hole.....

Mark