Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
greendefender123
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

New MOT exemption

Post by greendefender123 »

I haven't read it fully but looks like most of us will be exempt from MOTs soon. Not good news really!
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... c-interest
Monty-4
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: New MOT exemption

Post by Monty-4 »

My understanding from reading the summary is that the exemption is being expanded to vehicles over 40 years old (so pre-77 as of this year). However, if vehicles have been "substantially modified" (the power to weight ratio has changed more than 15%) then this exemption may no longer apply. The process for certifying if this condition is true or not isn't clear to me, but it appears to be a self-certification process where one would consult "a mechanic or historic vehicle expert". It will be an interesting to see if those who have swapped to 1275cc engines will fall into this category, it might be a borderline case?

My personal opinion is that any vehicle on public roads should require an MOT, and I will certainly continue to get my vehicles checked thoroughly!
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Really interesting read (!) Ok I am sad. and Well spotted Green Defender!m It is of note that only 6% of cars exempt submit voluntarily to MOT testing. I do and think it worth the fee to have a comprehensive annual check on the car and its structural integrity / safety.

I couldn't see any thing which might alter the cherished transfer position though.This is good as many sellers of near wrecks could get more for the number plate than for the car if it changed, taking away a little but of the car's history.

It does not, as at present, alter the legal requirement to keep our cars in road worthy condition.

It is interesting that the Club has yet to communicate this possibility to members. Have you let the politburo in Derby know?
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

It's not yet the law as far as I know, just the published results of a consultation. Unless it can be enacted by statutory instrument?
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Most of these changes are SI's. Didii the club replete the consultation or leave into the Federation of Historic Vehicles clubs or similar body ?
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

There used to be a check list that went with the mot certificate, listing all the checks. So I'll be happy to save 50 quid x 2 and work my way through it. If it happens that is.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Having read the documents the 'Substantial Changes' will to me be the defining wording but as yet not defined but will be in time.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-41265294

I wonder if 'Substantial Changes' have occurred to the vehicle in the above link..

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Never mind, at least it doesn't need an MOT and is Tax Exempt at £200,000 on Fleabay!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

This could be interesting...
As I read it, the 'Vehicles of Historical Interest (VHI): “Substantial Change” Draft Guidance' https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... idance.pdf final section of 'Draft Advice' could pull in vehicles which are currently exempt into requiring a mandatory MOT.
What do I need to do if I am responsible for a vehicle first registered before 1960?
If it has been altered substantially, an MOT certificate will be required for its use on public roads from 20th May 2018, even if the vehicle has previously not required an MOT.
Criterion 1
If a vehicle has a power to weight ratio of more than 15% in excess of its original design, unless such a modification took place before 1988
Does anyone have a Reddy Reckoner for Power to Weight ratio numbers when fitting a newer engine to a Moggie?
Last edited by geoberni on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Basil the 1955 series II

Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

This new legistlation/ consultation now ended by the British Government is in Response to the europen directive no 2014/45 although the Report says that the government were considering it anyway.

Unlike in GB ( NI is an exemption) the issuance of certificates of worthyness in Germany is done by two very large powerful companies, the TüV and DEKRA. These bodies probably have great influence and again probably resist the directive as all vehicles her, regardless of Age have rigorous testing and also have to pay road tax. As I have three classic cars ( all British!) I have, as a result of this thread, been trying to find out what Position the Bundesregierung is taking. I have found nothing on the Internet so will ask the ADAC.

In comparison GB is a paradise for classic cars - when will the new legistlation become law? Perhaps i will try to Register my cars in Dover - it will save me a fortune.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Nickol - this comes into effect in UK on 20 May 2018.
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

firedrake1942 wrote:
It is interesting that the Club has yet to communicate this possibility to members. Have you let the politburo in Derby know?
Well it was only published yesterday!
If you scroll to the bottom of any webage on the GOV website, it tells you the update history.
14 September 2017
Outcome for the 'Roadworthiness testing for vehicles of historic interest' consultation released.
Basil the 1955 series II

Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Even if my 1970 Moggie becomes exempt I will,still have her checked by a competent MOT garage . As I get older , and with no ramp or pit , it becomes increasingly difficult to see areas that could cause problems and safety issues .
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

geoberni wrote:Nickol - this comes into effect in UK on 20 May 2018.
Thanks
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

does that mean my Morris with the 3.5 V8 will need an MoT now? :(

only joking :lol: i shall take my old bang..,er i mean Classic Car,for a 'vehicle inspection' at a reputable garage when it's ready for the road. likewise my motorbike combo when i finally get the chair attached.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I appreciate that the MMOC may not have had time to inform members as yet of the decision, but I do nit recall it informing members of the consultation or additionally any position the MMOC may be taking / considering as an interested party.

It is there to represent us in promoting the car and the proposed changes are germane to the membership.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

In my opinion all cars should be tested annually,but classics should be tested sympathetically :wink:
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

In a manner of speaking, the test for classics is more 'sympathetic'. When I had Max tested earlier this year, the test took 25 minutes, followed by a lot of waiting around because 'The Computer' dictates that testing (based on modern cars) must take no less than 45 minutes. :roll:
1956 4-door called Max
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Probably more involved on modern vehicles, rather than sympathetic with old ones. I read sympathetic as letting things go, and you don't get that with many mot testers.