Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
horrace
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Farewell.....

Post by horrace »

Well it's been a fantastic journey but I'm 75% convinced I should sell horrace my pick up.... I'll probably shed a tear but I barely use him now so it seems a waste to have him sitting in the garage gathering dust.
I have no desperate desire for the money at the mo and it's probably better invested in a pick up than in the bank!
So my question is whats he worth?
I restored him (with many thanks to you guys and the lcv reg) ready for our Wedding in 2010 he's not been used that much so is still in pretty good condition
Horrace looking splendid
Horrace looking splendid
DSC_0001_2.JPG (4.34 MiB) Viewed 2978 times

les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Farewell.....

Post by les »

I'm I pretty much the same situation, but having trouble making the decision, the room would be nice but it's not easy to let it go. Why don't you start the price at around nine thousand, see what interest you get and take it from there. If you're not desperate to sell stick to the price. I think the pickup is popular, and if it's in good order, someone will want it.

greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Its a shame your not using him much. Just remember once hes gone hes gone. I fear i wont use mine much but always seem to. Its an excellent investment. But if you have no plans to use horrace you just aswell let him go. Hopefully to someone that will use him.
horrace
Minor Fan

Post by horrace »

Id rather keep him for sub 10k. But actually much like you les I could use the space. The only thing that stops me is the sentimental attachment and the fact he's only appreciating..

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Get rid of any other cars you may have and then you'll start using him more! :D
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I've had mine since '83 so I know all about sentiment, silly though it sounds. 10 grand, sounds good but remember 'act in haste, repent at leisure !

horrace
Minor Fan

Post by horrace »

:D :lol: :lol:

Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Sell the modern cars distracting you from your true love. :)
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
burnham28
Minor Fan

Post by burnham28 »

I have been in the same position. I had a 1929 Austin seven chummy for 33 years which I had restored down to the last nut and bolt. I was not using her because of advancing years and being 6ft 3inches tall. It was very emotional when she went albeit to a good home but she needed to go to someone who would look after her and use her. The upside is I could now buy my Panda the one I drove in 1968 when it was new.
Attachments
IMG_0442.JPG
IMG_0442.JPG (3.19 MiB) Viewed 2825 times
[img]jpg[/img]
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Fabulous looking panda!
]
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I agree with all those who say keep Horrace. Although I had one new car, it was a Mini and in 1987, so hardly the latest thing and the thought of owning a modern fills me with horror. If it was a choice between your pick up and any modern (Even a Ferrari - forgetting the option of selling the Ferrari for a lot of money), the pick up would win .

So long as I have garage space, I'll hang on to mine. As to usage, I haven't driven the Midget since September and I think it was July when I last took the V8 out (The weather has been seasonally bad and I have fitted a new cam to the Midget, which with limited spare time, took a time and since then I've been doing some planned repairs to my mother's MGB GT). The next car job is to rectify the dog's dinner Wares made of my Traveller's clutch (And fit some new uprights and a steering rack, that I am reconditioning). I cycle to work and always cycle more miles than I drive (Includes the year I went to Le Mans and then on to Civray in the V8). I think when I was younger, I'd have got itchy feet but time seems to pass faster now, so September and July don't seem long ago. I think when you do too much of anything, it can become too routine. These days, I make sure that when I take the car out, it's fine and I try to pick quiet routes, so that every trip is pleasurable. My Traveller is nominally the runabout but I'd be as happy entering it for a classic car event, as either of the MGs.

None of us wants to think about old age (But it beats the alternative) and in my case, I have no close relatives, other than my parents. For that reason, I am not looking forward to the future but I can't escape the fact that I am probably going to have to be pretty self sufficient (As I feel now, I'd prefer a coffin to a care home). Were infirmity ever to curtail or even stop my driving, I'm not even so sure that I would sell the cars, as I can derive pleasure from simply going out to the garage to sit in or look at them (I start them all from time to time and operate the brakes etc). The MGs have been with me or my father (The V8 has spent most of the last 20+ year in my garage and since 2003, my name has been on the log book) since 1984 and 1985 and there are a lot of memories tied up in them; in some ways they are like family (Along with the cat). The Traveller has been with me for 14 years.
Last edited by Blaketon on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I've got 4 old cars...one for each grandchild. They can use them or sell them. In the meantime, I'll care for them and enjoy driving them :D
horrace
Minor Fan

Post by horrace »

Horrace was going on ebay pretty shortly but.....

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Whenever I think of selling mine, I tell my mate. I always come away with a change my mind. Maybe one day I won't tell him! :D