Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

NMP Plates?

Post by RobThomas »

Who was after an NMP plate? I've found a good one for them to copy.

Rob.
nmpv2.jpg
nmpv2.jpg (289.08 KiB) Viewed 4334 times
Cardiff, UK
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: NMP Plates?

Post by firedrake1942 »

Me rob pretty please .

dadmjsdm@aol.com

JM
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

All sorted and in the post! :D
Cardiff, UK
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Star. Now for the interesting bit .......
Ian46
Minor Fan

Post by Ian46 »

Just wondering if there could be a limited 'run' of these if all goes according to plan?

Regards Ian
Busy collecting parts for my '52 MM Convertible and 1949 Saloon restorations. :o
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

It's in the hands of Firedrake.

There is a security implication with regards to 'ringing' but since you can buy a whole new bulkhead chassis plate and a second-hand logbook off of ebay... :x This might prove to be a chance for the club members to show our ability police ourselves?

Might be worth liaising with POMMReg for confirmation of the numbers before they get sold on, Firedrake?
Cardiff, UK
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Rob, will do, that is a good security check! If we can produce enough good quality blank samples, Uttlesford is happy to supply at cost.

Perhaps anyone interested could PM me with expressions of interest / details inc. an e mail and be prepared to satisfy V5 / Chassis No photo . I will check with Pom Reg and supply when we have produced. We are still at the mold / press making stage at present.

I will update the thread as we make progress, but thanks go to Rob for supplying an off vehicle template.Without that we would likely be relying on a rather corroded one. Taking impressions from good ones on cars has proved less than successful thus far.
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

Could you inform what the significance of an NMP plate is ??? I at least an not knowing
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

It has the car numbers etc which match these on the strip on the NS bulkhead. and is found on NS engine tie plate by the bumper stay. Many cars had this tie plate replaced when the NS chassis leg rotted and was replaced and the NMP (Nuffield Metal Products) plate lost in the process.

On early cars it was screwed to the bulkhead

Whilst not essential, it is one of those bits that when seeking originality, whose absence niggles a little. (or a lot)
Attachments
mbimage.php.jpeg
mbimage.php.jpeg (98.26 KiB) Viewed 4267 times
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (7.39 KiB) Viewed 4267 times
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Cab "codes" reverse stamped - except some late Commercials - so a bonus for security.

Good idea if Rob can stamp numbers prior to despatch, eradicate any chance of abuse.

Well over 150 "codes" used!!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

We could do that, as we are looking for the right dies at the moment . Good idea Pommreg!
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Just an update and thanks to Rob Thomas for the generous loan of the plate. We have safe receipt of the 'donor' NMP plate. Our branch 'engineer' - (his man-cave has to be seen to be believed) has cleaned it up a treat, as suggested by Rob and it is now gleaming. He is sourcing the medium to create the mould and the press plates this week but as he is also carer for his wife it is a case of fitting the working between that obvious priority.

The final plate blanks will be produced without numbers and without the corner holes so as to match the later type of plates attached to the tie plate rather than the bulkhead. He is also sourcing the correct punches for the reverse and front punched numbers / letters and any orders will be punched with these supplied by owners as described above.

I will update the thread with progress.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Any news, Firedrake? Just checking that you've still got the old NMP.

No hurry so long as I know it is safe. :D
Cardiff, UK
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Is Firedrake ok? Hasn't posted lately. :cry:
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Got an email from firedrake today. He's fine. Just taking a bit of a break from things :)
1956 4-door called Max
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

It has gone very quiet. Any news? I'm keen to see what process gets used to make the stamps for pressing the shapes in.
Cardiff, UK
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Success at last! After a week in which the laser cutters for the NMP blanks told me that they had cut over 200 blanks 10mm short and I had only 40 of the right size....just about to order some more tin plate when I checked the original against the 'correct' plates to find that they were, in fact 10mm too long. A frantic phone call to the steel fabricators to make sure they had not ditched the 'short ones.....
Well, we test pressed 10 this morning and they are brilliant. We always acknowledged that we would not get the definition of the originals but they do come close and Ray is stamping my and his numbers onto our plates ready for body colour and fixing. I will be stamping out the rest next week (Right arm will look like Popeye's) and Ray will be starting to stamp those who requested them stamped. We will only be doing those who have supplied addresses for post so far. As soon as they are done , along with the orders for blank plates, we will be in touch re postage and payment via bacs.
Apologies for this long process, but we wanted to get it right and after the debacle where the 250 mild steel plates were delivered galvanised (AAAARGH) making them a) thicker and b) harder i is a joy to have some good news to report.
If you have expressed an interest and not either given Z number etc details and / or postal addresses, please do so asap via dadmjsdm@aol.com as we have 213 orders so far and only 240 blanks.

Rob, we will get the original back to you as soon as we have finished
Attachments
IMG_2434.JPG
IMG_2434.JPG (1.9 MiB) Viewed 3125 times
IMG_2433.JPG
IMG_2433.JPG (1.89 MiB) Viewed 3125 times
IMG_2432.JPG
IMG_2432.JPG (2.09 MiB) Viewed 3125 times
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

If owning a Minor with a "BM" prefixed id plate - with the exception of early AP LCVs - this is NOT the number stamped on the NMP plate.

Tourer's WITH a "BME"/"BMT" id plate will have a lower nos. Everything else higher.

This is the sub total figure of each bodyshell, need to do a few calculations before getting the NMP plate stamped with the approximate number.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Chris. Any idea what 'NWL' in Gaydon would have had on it? The original was removed during the factory resto.
Rob
Cardiff, UK
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Logucally, Z.9838/9 501

BM 501