Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tonton533
MMOC Member: No

Steering wheel LOWLIGHT

Post by tonton533 »

Hi Guys
How difficult is it to remove Banjo steering wheel from my 1950 lowlight.
The wheel is severely cracked on each joint and dont think I could afford one even if I found one here in Oz.
I was hoping to remove and fill cracks with JB Weld then paint.
However, what paint would I use if I could do this repair????
Thanks
Tony
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Steering wheel LOWLIGHT

Post by myoldjalopy »

Shouldn't be too difficult.
Disconnect the battery, remove the little screw on the side of the steering wheel and lift out the horn push carefully, disconnecting the horn wire before removing the horn push completely. There is then a large nut that retains the steering wheel which requires a 7/8" box spanner. Loosen that off but do not remove before you have wiggled, pulled and freed the wheel from the steering column as it can be a tight fit and, unless the nut is there to stop it, it may suddenly come loose after tugging at it and whack you in the face!
Not sure about the paint - someone else will have done theirs and will, hopefully, come along in a bit with a suggestion.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I tried JB Weld. Hard epoxy stuff and then some paint. Didn't fall out but did crack again. Once they start to go it is hard to keep them looking good. It is on a taper with a Woodruft key that falls out. Flat one rather than a half-moon shape.
Cardiff, UK
AndrewT
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by AndrewT »

I have two for mine even though mines a series 2 but the same as your set up any how as above to removed I also filled mine I used some wood filler and normal car paint etch primer paint then lacquer to help keep the shine and ease to clean think you be very very hard pushed to find a non cracked one anywhere in the world unless it's already be refurbed but don't give up take your time and get it right and it will look just as good again
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Hi Tony
I think JB Weld is too hard and unyielding. As above, I think the rim will be sure to crack again. The rim will expand and contract with heat and cold and it flexes a bit in normal use (particularly if you hang onto it as you get in and out). So I think a filler with a bit more compliance would work better, such as one of the two-part resin products.

I can't speak from experience though--just my theory. :roll:

Don
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

I use Milliput epoxy putty to repair the catalin rims of MM and Series II steering wheels although they are becoming increasingly hard to find.

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Stevey repaired one for me using Araldite which seems to have worked ok for a few years now. I should have a go at the one on my MM this winter sometime as a couple of the cracks are becoming sharp

Too many Minors so little time.....